Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Barely Slept at Sleep Study
RE: Barely Slept at Sleep Study
(10-06-2015, 11:09 AM)ewok Wrote: Hi linn,

Sorry to hear you had trouble sleeping and wish you the best of luck on your results.

Thank you for sharing, I was worrying about being able to sleep (I rarely go to bed before 1am), in case the doc wants me to go for another sleep study. Reading the responses to your post convinced me I really need to insist the doc prescribe a sleep aid if I get scheduled.

Thanks Ewok...nice to talk to people who understand.
I hope your next study goes well and I'm sure your Dr. will give you something for sleep.

I hope I never have to do a sleep study again!

Good Luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
I slept ridiculously bad at my first sleep study with a 44% sleep efficiency. Fortunately during the whole 14 minutes I was in REM my AHI/RDI shot up to 30 and that was that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 06:00 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your story is not unusual. I only slept about 2 hours when I had my sleep study done.

Did the technician say you need to go back for a titration? I would call the technician today and question whether you slept long enough for them to determine if your have sleep apnea.

I'm sure it's different in Canada, but here in the states, whether you buy, rent, and/or have insurance coverage, you will need a script from your doctor for the pap machine.

No mention of a titration...I did call them and they wouldn't say anything about the apnea. She told me not to worry - whatever that means. She seemed to imply that it wasn't hard to get a CPAP prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 11:33 AM)mrkdilkington Wrote: I slept ridiculously bad at my first sleep study with a 44% sleep efficiency. Fortunately during the whole 14 minutes I was in REM my AHI/RDI shot up to 30 and that was that.

Glad you were diagnosed - glad to see that I am not the only one who could not tolerate all those wires and a strange environment. I'm not sure that I hit any REM - but I do remember dreaming a bit right before they woke me up at 5am.

30 is high - I hope you are on the CPAP and feeling better.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi linn,
Don't feel bad, I didn't sleep very well at my first sleep study either, I had to go back for a second one to be fitted with mask and machine. However, at my first sleep study, I slept well enough for them to tell me that I did have Obstructive Sleep Apnea, (OSA.)
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 01:55 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi linn,
Don't feel bad, I didn't sleep very well at my first sleep study either, I had to go back for a second one to be fitted with mask and machine. However, at my first sleep study, I slept well enough for them to tell me that I did have Obstructive Sleep Apnea, (OSA.)
Good luck to you.

Thanks Trish Smile
I hope I never have to do another one...
I hope you are feeling better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why don't they let you try a home sleep study? It's good enough to diagnose apnea with.

:/
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 02:30 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Why don't they let you try a home sleep study? It's good enough to diagnose apnea with.

:/

Can I buy one online? I don't think doctors issue at home studies...
Post Reply Post Reply
I barely slept at my sleep study. I was prescribed one 10 mg dose of Ambien, to be taken if I had difficulty falling asleep. Well ofc I had difficulty falling asleep in a strange environment, with all that stuff attached to me! But I had never taken Ambien before (I don't take any sleep meds), and had no idea what the effect on me would be. I guess I thought it would knock me out. I don't think it had any effect at all! If I had it to do over, I would have asked for more of the Ambien, and tried it at home to see how I reacted to it. I could have gone back to the Sleep Doc and asked for a different Rx....
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 02:32 PM)linn Wrote: Can I buy one online? I don't think doctors issue at home studies...
google it, or ask the doctor for a recommendation

VitalAire Ontario: 1 800-567-0202
Medcan Clinic Ontario (416) 350 - 5900
MedSleep Ontario (different locations) 905-709-9696

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 63 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.