Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Basic how-to for contec 50F?
Basic how-to for contec 50F?
My contec 50F was delivered Friday, and the battery is now fully charged. The manual is an entertaining mish-mash of non-native English. 

Can anyone point me to a basic how-to of what I need to do to get the data properly recorded, read off the device into the computer, and from there get it into OSCAR?

This was bought new from the manufacturer this week, so I'm guessing this is the latest version? Am I correct that Contec changed stuff in the software for this version, and so some of the old options for getting data into OSCAR no longer work, but there is a process that does work?

I'm on a mac, and will be running the software in a Windows 10 virtual machine (I use Parallels Desktop usually, but I am somewhat familiar with VMWare if Parallels is the wrong tool.)

Thanks!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Basic how-to for contec 50F?
I just read through all the documents I can find for the new CMD-50F and could not find any language change options. How is your Chinglish? I've never been successful in connecting to a USB serial device while in a VM environment. I hope you are more successful using Parallels.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ver is 6.1, I purchased 6 months ago. I use a pc so I would not be real helpful on your Mac. With that being said my installation was pretty straight forward.  It had software with it where I download and then transfer to the computer. 

The only real problem I had was when I made a folder for the files from the software- the default was to make the directory on the root directory. DONT do that you will not be able to transfer it to Oscar. Just put in any other directory. 

Besides that when I start the meter start the Cpap at the same time then when you import you can just use the Cpap tome instead of trying to get the meter and Oscar showing the same time. 

Good luck I hope you have a trouble free instal.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2021, 03:18 PM)staceyburke Wrote: My ver is 6.1, I purchased 6 months ago. I use a pc so I would not be real helpful on your Mac. With that being said my installation was pretty straight forward.  It had software with it where I download and then transfer to the computer.

Where did you get the software? Is it downloadable from anywhere?

I did the obvious thing which is to use the USB cable plug the device into my computer. The first time I did, it asked me if I wanted to connect it to the mac or windows, and I said windows.

Now when I go to the "Settings->Bluetooth & other devices" an "unknown device" appears when the contec is plugged in and disappears when I unplug it, at least until the device charges. But otherwise the only communication between computer and pulse-ox seems to be the charging the battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine came w a cd
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Torontek has a B400 pulseOx which is the same as the Contec CMS50F. They give a software link as

http://torontek.com/downloads/Smart%20De...0Setup.exe

and note that it is Windows only.

I don't have a new pulse Ox so I haven't tested that link.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look on the inside of the box it came in. There should be a sticker with a link/QR code and "password" to download the right version.

Once you have that downloaded, you shouldn't need to change anything (except maybe the time and date - though you can correct that in OSCAR too).

By default, it should be set to autostart recording as soon as you turn it on. If that's the case, all you need to do is put it on and turn it on at the same time as you start your CPAP.

Then in the morning, turn off your CPAP and take the pulse ox off your finger, long press the button to get into the menu. If you want to turn it off for now, you can use short presses to get down to the option to power off and then long press until it switches off. I'd also recommend turning off the alarms because I can't stand it beeping at me endlessly if you turn it on with the finger out warning, but you may find that useful at night because I find it slips off a lot for me, even with a little tape to hold it steady.

When it comes to getting the data, you need to make sure you have installed the software and drivers - the install package that is linked in the box. I get around the issues with save location by simply running it as administrator (if you can do that) on a windows machine. You then simply plug the USB cable from your CMS50F to the USB on your computer, turn on the watch. It should chirp (your PC) to let you know it found the device.

In the software there are two main icons. Click on the left one, that looks like a serial port (not the folder one) and it should bring up a dialog box. Make sure USB is ticked at the top, and that auto is selected. Then down the bottom, if it hasn't already found the device, press refresh and that should find your device. Select your device in the list by clicking on it, then make sure the box at the bottom that says "View Device Stored Data Only" is checked, then click on connect. It should download the data from your watch and prompt you to save it. Go ahead and do so, and then, when you are done, that's it.

Leave your oximeter plugged into the USB while you're doing your thing to charge, then go to OSCAR and import the .spo2 file through the oximeter import dialog. Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to import directly from the pulse ox directly in OSCAR but because of the hardware and software changes, we have to do it this way for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2021, 10:30 AM)Ratchick Wrote: Look on the inside of the box it came in. There should be a sticker with a link/QR code and "password" to download the right version.
Oh-jeez I didn't notice the sticker before! Feeling like an idiot...
Post Reply Post Reply
Nah, it took me a while to spot it and realise it was important too (and I'm used to the uh... "fun" that is getting other/older Contec products working). Such tiny text and my eyes are getting old.  Smile 

Hopefully now you have that, it'll go smoothly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 233 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Correct operation of Contec CMS 50 oximeters ("D" & "DL") ivashamagnus 2 525 12-26-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: ivashamagnus
  where can I get the download for Encore Basic leshep66 13 809 08-09-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter dschalk 3 1,136 05-25-2023, 10:57 AM
  Encore Basic - How to download it? chipbutty 6 2,357 04-09-2023, 10:27 AM
  using OSCAR for Contec CMS50F oximetry ...without any CPAP data? sleepymon 2 632 02-20-2023, 04:08 AM
Last Post: sleepymon
Question OSCAR vs Contec CMS-RS01 /RS-01 or RS01/ Mercoory 10 2,169 10-25-2022, 11:01 PM
Last Post: nachumk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.