Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New [what else do I need to go with machine?]
New [what else do I need to go with machine?]
Recently went to a sleep medicine doctor and he suspects i have OSA but as per usual, needs to order a sleep study.  It is incredibly expensive given my insurance situation so I am highly considering ordering my own machine out of pocket.  I snore like a horse, am getting poor sleep and feel tired, and we have a baby on the way very soon.  I want to resolve this the smartest way for my family and our bank account and it sounds like I wouldn't be the first person to buy out of pocket and follow the guides on here to get their apnea under control.

I have found a good price on a Dreamstation DSX500T11 brand new, about $400.  Here are my questions:
  • What accessories do I need to buy that do not come in the box?  Masks?  Hoses?  I've been looking for guides and it is information overload on this site.
  • Do i need to buy an SD card for the unit or does it come with some way for me to extract the data?

Send any advice my way...I'm going to keep reading the wiki and forums.  Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New
(03-27-2018, 07:29 PM)liftingbro Wrote: Recently went to a sleep medicine doctor and he suspects i have OSA but as per usual, needs to order a sleep study.  It is incredibly expensive given my insurance situation so I am highly considering ordering my own machine out of pocket.  I snore like a horse, am getting poor sleep and feel tired, and we have a baby on the way very soon.  I want to resolve this the smartest way for my family and our bank account and it sounds like I wouldn't be the first person to buy out of pocket and follow the guides on here to get their apnea under control.

I have found a good price on a Dreamstation DSX500T11 brand new, about $400.  Here are my questions:
  • What accessories do I need to buy that do not come in the box?  Masks?  Hoses?  I've been looking for guides and it is information overload on this site.
  • Do i need to buy an SD card for the unit or does it come with some way for me to extract the data?

Send any advice my way...I'm going to keep reading the wiki and forums.  Thanks everyone.

Your symptoms especially if you are older and overweight certainly point to OSA. That said, my son at 34, who is overweight needed to get one. First thing to check is whether or not the vendor will sell to you without a prescription. That varies by jurisdiction. 

You are taking a bit of a gamble, but that machine is an auto CPAP and will handle most degrees of OSA. There is a slight risk you have central apena and that is not as well treated with a CPAP. 

As a bare minimum you will need the machine, a standard hose, and a mask. Nice to haves are a carrying case and a heated hose. In my opinion a heated hose is heavier and not always necessary. It is to prevent condensation in the hose if using the machine where humidity is high and ambient temperature is low. Check around for package prices that include these items. A Nasal Pillow mask is a common starting mask and is well tolerated in most. Many packages will give you a choice of masks. The AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask I think fits the Dreamstation. It is most often sold initially with a large, medium, and small insert so you can determine which fits you the best.

I believe on a quick check this machine comes with a SD Card. I would suggest you download the SleepyHead software to track your results. It is free. At the top of the main forum page is a link to the Clinical Manuals for the various manufacturers. Once you have that, they are not that hard to adjust. How to adjust is a little harder, but SleepyHead and advice from forum members is a big help in that. 

You may also want to check around for used machines. The failure rate in using CPAP machines is quite high, and there are many machines around not in use. That of course is another risk you take, that you will not be tolerate it. But, there is no way around that one, short of finding a place that will give you a free trial. That is not out of the question either.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation Auto CPAP is a good machine and produces data that should allow you to get your therapy optimized. You will need the Machine, humidifier, hose, and mask with headgear. Dreamstation filters are inexpensive and should be used in any used machine. I generally encourage people to try nasal pillows first, since it is lighter and easier to get a good seal, then move to full face mask if you can't keep air from escaping from your mouth. The Resmed Airfit P10 is a good choice. Download the free #Sleepyhead program so you have a great tool for optimizing therapy.

Rather than work outside the system, you could use a home sleep test. HSTs are sufficient to diagnose the problem and qualify for insurance. You still end up needing an auto CPAP for self-titration. I suggest you work with your primary doctor and let him know you plan to treat this condition and would welcome his guidance and supervision. Let him know your affordability issues and that you will be using software to monitor your efficacy. I'm sure he will be there for a script if you ever need one for masks and supplies. Good luck, and we're here to help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 08:19 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: Your symptoms especially if you are older and overweight certainly point to OSA. That said, my son at 34, who is overweight needed to get one. First thing to check is whether or not the vendor will sell to you without a prescription. That varies by jurisdiction. 

You are taking a bit of a gamble, but that machine is an auto CPAP and will handle most degrees of OSA. There is a slight risk you have central apena and that is not as well treated with a CPAP. 

As a bare minimum you will need the machine, a standard hose, and a mask. Nice to haves are a carrying case and a heated hose. In my opinion a heated hose is heavier and not always necessary. It is to prevent condensation in the hose if using the machine where humidity is high and ambient temperature is low. Check around for package prices that include these items. A Nasal Pillow mask is a common starting mask and is well tolerated in most. Many packages will give you a choice of masks. The AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask I think fits the Dreamstation. It is most often sold initially with a large, medium, and small insert so you can determine which fits you the best.

I believe on a quick check this machine comes with a SD Card. I would suggest you download the SleepyHead software to track your results. It is free. At the top of the main forum page is a link to the Clinical Manuals for the various manufacturers. Once you have that, they are not that hard to adjust. How to adjust is a little harder, but SleepyHead and advice from forum members is a big help in that. 

You may also want to check around for used machines. The failure rate in using CPAP machines is quite high, and there are many machines around not in use. That of course is another risk you take, that you will not be tolerate it. But, there is no way around that one, short of finding a place that will give you a free trial. That is not out of the question either.

Great info - yes...I am overweight at 260 and 6'2 but body fat levels are low for this weight...don't think it matters as I have a large neck size (17.5 or 18...haven't had to button the top one in a while so not sure lol).  Early 30s myself.  Doc thinks central apnea is unlikely but wouldn't be able to confirm OSA without the sleep study.

I think this Dreamstation model comes with the heated hose so it looks like I just need a mask.  I will research the one you suggested.  VERY EXCITED
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider makes a good point to watch for on the masks. When included in a package they almost always include the headgear, mask, and what is called a fit pack, which is a Large, Medium, and Small insert. However when looking at masks alone they can be sold as parts; mask only with only one size insert, and headgear. In Canada a good price on a complete mask package  with a fit pack is about $100. I would expect about $75 or less in the US. If you have to order one size only, you would very likely take a large. If you search around on the net you should find a sizing chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New [what else do I need to go with machine?]
I had one more thought last night. The machine you are looking at is a good one, and is roughly equivalent to the RedMed AirSense 10. They both have capability to WiFi your results to a service provider for review and adjustment of settings. However, in most cases when these are sold at deep discount prices that monitoring service is not included. About the only significant difference between the older ResMed S9 AutoSet with H5i humidifier and the newer AirSense 10 is this WiFi capability. So if you could find a S9 Autoset on clearance or a used one, it would be a good value. My wife has had the S9 for 3 years now, and it works very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New [what else do I need to go with machine?]
You're on the right track.

I have the DreamStation 500 (Auto) with a heated hose and the P10 mask. It is a great set-up.

After a few weeks or so, you'll want to replace the filter. So those would be nice to order as well, but don't let that slow you down on getting the machine.

If it doesn't come with an SD card, just put one in (it'll format it for you).

It would be nice to go through a dr, if you're interested in getting insurance to pay for it. But if your deductible is high enough, it would probably just be worth it to pay out of pocket like it sounds like you're doing.

P.S. Although I understand that age and weight can be contributing factors, that doesn't mean others outside that description can't have OSA. I've had these sleep apnea symptoms crushing my life since I was a teenager and 100 pounds. Wish I would've had a CPAP back then!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,046 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,882 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,350 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,804 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,295 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.