Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery Back up for Airsense 10
RE: Battery Back up for Airsense 10
This is an older thread, and when it started, the BixPower Super High Capacity CP170-S10 battery was not available. This is a 159 watt-hour li-ion battery with the Resmed converter included at $249 on Amazon. That is at least 2-3 days of use without the humidifier, and it is designed for use with the Resmed Airsense 10. Lightweight with a lot of capacity. I know what I would get.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2017, 10:36 AM)mogulman Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 09:42 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The problem is having a ResMed machine.  In addition to the battery, you have to use their monster big 12-24 V DC to 24V DC converter.  Sorry.

They made it that way.  So you have to buy their converter.

OMMOHY

Can't you just use two 12v batteries in series, so you have native 24v and avoid the converter?

Nope.  That's the evil in their plan.  For the machine to run, it has to see a signal running on the third wire  from the converter.  I don't recall off the top of my head, but I want to say it is a specified electrical resistance that the machine looks for.  If it is not found, the machine will not start up. Other than that, there is no reason why you couldn't run one off of a 24 V battery.

That kind of behavior is one of the reasons I consider ResMed evil and am secure in my position that the S-8 and S-9 products that I have will be the last of their CPAP products that I  will ever have.  Other options with equal or better performance out there.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2016, 03:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Matza you can also use the Poweradd Pilot Power li-ion 32000 mAh power bank sold on Amazon for $109.  If you use a Resmed, you will have to get the Resmed DC Voltage adapter. Respironics and other 12 volt machines do not require an adapter.  This battery has enough output power to run most CPAPs over 2-days on a single charge, and is relatively small and light. It is multi-voltage and comes with a variety of cords and tips and can be useful to run a laptop and other electronics.  A few units have failed to power CPAPs and the return policy allows for an exchange.  Most work, but a few have tripped due to the load.  Some people start the machine in ramp to avoid startup surge demand.  Once running, it's no problem.

Have you ever figured out what machine you are using? Maybe update the profile?

Have you used the Poweradd unit?
Is it a deep cycle battery?  
At 32ah, ResMed's battery guide says I can power my Airsense 10 for about 16 hours with a 50% safety margin.
Way better price that anything else I have seen -- if it works? Of course, one needs to account for any loss in the DC-DC converter.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
The loss in the 12-24 V DC converter is not significant.

And ResMed's Battery guide figures are listed as if using a 12 V source, not a 24 V source so there is no need to consider any loss (and I suspect that their numbers in the Battery Guide are sandbagged some just to be conservative.)

Converter is greatly different than an inverter in this regard.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
For the Resmed there is a new battery on Amazon now called the BiXPower Super High Capacity (159 Watt-hour) Rechargeable Battery for ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP Machine CP170-S10. This new battery is the equivalent to 59,000 mAh and includes the 24 volt DC converter for Airsense 10. This should give about 2-1/2 to 3 days of use with 50% reserve, and it includes all adapters, AC and DC chargers. At $250 it's not cheap, but since it is a complete package, it is pretty competitive and is designed to work with the Resmed CPAP and Aircurve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2017, 09:27 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: For the Resmed there is a new battery on Amazon now called the BiXPower Super High Capacity (159 Watt-hour) Rechargeable Battery for ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP Machine CP170-S10.  This new battery is the equivalent to 59,000 mAh and includes the 24 volt DC converter for Airsense 10.  This should give about 2-1/2 to 3 days of use with 50% reserve, and it includes all adapters, AC and DC chargers.  At $250 it's not cheap, but since it is a complete package, it is pretty competitive and is designed to work with the Resmed CPAP and Aircurve.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like a great deal. Unfortunately, the numbers make no sense to me.

From BixPower ...

Quote:This package comes with a BiXPower AP170 super high capacity (159 Wh) lithium ion rechargeable battery pack and a 24V DC converter specially designed for a ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP machine. It can add 6-10 hours of extra running time for most laptop/notebook computers and 15-30 hours for most ultra-books & tablets. It can also power ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP machines for 2-3 nights with the humidifier turned off. This battery has a capacity of 159 Watt-Hours (44,100mAh). For comparison, most laptop internal batteries only have around 40-60 Watt-Hours.

According to my calculations ...

159 wH = 13,250 mAh at 12 volts

to get to 159 wH  and 44,100 mAh the voltage would have to be approximately 3.6 volts which may be the nominal voltage of a single  battery cell itself -- not the combined output capacity.

The formula is Q(mAh) = 1000 × E(Wh) / V(V) 
Q = 1000 x 159/12 = 13,250 not 44,100

THERE MUST BE SOMETHING I DO NOT UNDERSTAND OR THE NUMBERS ARE WONKY!
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. Will have to look closer at the claims.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers are wrong for 12 V.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2017, 08:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The numbers are wrong for 12 V.

OMMOHY

How are the numbers wrong?
Please clarify which numbers and why.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed is a 24 Volt machine...would that fix it?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 0 23 2 hours ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 174 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 303 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 202 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,759 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.