Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery Back up for Airsense 10
RE: Battery Back up for Airsense 10
(09-08-2017, 09:40 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed is a 24 Volt machine...would that fix it?

The way I understand it is that the required ResMed DC/DC converter (24V/90W output)  can be used to power the AirSense 10 from either a 12V or 24V DC power source. Therefore, I assume (yes I know what that means) that it is somehow stepping up the 12 volts to 24 volts with some energy loss (maybe 2 -5w).

But this has nothing to do with the rated capacity of the battery.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2017, 09:31 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 08:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The numbers are wrong for 12 V.

OMMOHY

How are the numbers wrong?
Please clarify which numbers and why.

No way a 159 Wh battery can be the equivalent to a 59 Ah battery @12 V.  Those numbers are wrong.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2017, 09:36 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 09:31 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 08:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The numbers are wrong for 12 V.

OMMOHY

How are the numbers wrong?
Please clarify which numbers and why.

No way a 159 Wh battery can be the equivalent to a 59 Ah battery @12 V.  Those numbers are wrong.

OMMOHY

Precisely, the advertised number for mAh is wrong.

If used as a driver of ResMed's DC/DC converter, 159 wH yields  13,250 mAh at 12 volts. About 13Ah which is about the same as other similar batteries.

I think the advertising people may have derived the number from a nominal fully-charged cell voltage of 3.6 v to get the 44,100 mAh number.

Oh well, I am glad I didn't buy one. Still looking for my solution.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
BixPower Super High Capacity CP170-S10 battery, I wonder does anyone use a Resmed Airsense 10 with this backup battery? Even if the Ah are not correct, on paper this would be a perfect solution..

Also I would need some information, generally for to use battery packs as an uninteruptable power supply:

- if power fails, the accu is working, but does it return to the fixed (ordinary) power, when power is available again?

- if no power interruption at all (but used in USV mode, means the power supply for the accu is attached to the wall power outlet), does  It charge from battery, or is it only a throughput of the ordinary power? (there are only limited charge/discharge cycles, does it mean, if no power failure, this is a charge/discharge cylcle?) Because i would need 3 heavy power bricks/converter when travelling, I would prefer  leaving the original power supply of the airsense at home,, because the power bricks are heavy to carry on airplanes)

Thank you for information
Best regards Christian from cold austria Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 03:43 AM)christian4870 Wrote: BixPower Super High Capacity CP170-S10 battery, I wonder does anyone use a Resmed Airsense 10 with this backup battery? Even if the Ah are not correct, on paper this would be a perfect solution..

Also I would need some information, generally for to use battery packs as an uninteruptable power supply:

- if power fails, the accu is working, but does it return to the fixed (ordinary) power, when power is available again?

- if no power interruption at all (but used in USV mode, means the power supply for the accu is attached to the wall power outlet), does  It charge from battery, or is it only a throughput of the ordinary power? (there are only limited charge/discharge cycles, does it mean, if no power failure, this is a charge/discharge cylcle?) Because i would need 3 heavy power bricks/converter when travelling, I would prefer  leaving the original power supply of the airsense at home,, because the power bricks are heavy to carry on airplanes)

Thank you for information
Best regards Christian from cold austria Thanks

Have you looked at Medistrom Pilot-24 Plus? I have just received this battery pack. There is an optional Co--Pilot unit for extended power.
Post Reply Post Reply
@DaveY: Thank you, I did not know this item. Seems to be the better solution. I saw that i could buy this at Amazon US, even if i am austrian.

Do you know, when using the power pack as a back up system:
if no power interruption at all (but used in this USV mode), does  It charge from battery, or is it only a throughput of the ordinary power via the original power supply of the airsense 10? (you say there are about 500 charge/discharge cycles, does it mean, if no power failure, this is a charge/discharge cylcle?)
Thank you for information, br christian
Post Reply Post Reply
A little something to factor into your calculations. It has been my experience that many of these so-called portable power sources shut themselves off at between 10 - 20% power remaining to protect the battery from total discharge. And that storage extreme temperatures kills battery capacity. The key to a good battery solution is the maintenance of voltage at a consistent rate over the longest time -- not having all of the power up-front like you would when using a battery to jump-start a car.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 01:25 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: The key to a good battery solution is the maintenance of voltage at a consistent rate over the longest time
Thank you, will not be so easy, if using the battery only in an USV mode, so it will be used most of the time only as "just in case"....
Only when travelling in remote areas, I will use it more often...
Post Reply Post Reply
Is anyone using the Medstrom Pilot 24 CPAP battery? It is a $329 li-ion battery designed to serve as a backup and will provide up to two days of power without the humidifier. Looks like a very nice setup and includes all cables for output to Resmed S9 and S10 machines. It is supposed to take-over seamlessly when power fails, and the reviews suggest it is a good camping battery and charges fast.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been in contact with the manufacturer now and got some information.
From my point of view the biggest advantage is that it is working with 24VDC and all you need is the batterie and this comes with a cable to the Airsense 10. No additional converter, no additional power brick. You use the power supply of the airsense 10.

copy from email:
my questions:
If the battery is configured like/as  UPS and there is no power interruption this night, then it would not count as a discharge cycle, because it was not needed? correct? If needed, of course it would count as a discharge...(partially or full....)

By the way, if there is a power interruption so the battery is needed, if the power comes back again after some time, does it switch again to the normal power (not charging the battery)

answer from support of choiceonemedical:
That is correct. In the event of a power outage, the battery will begin to run off it's stored charge. Once power has returned, the battery will charge off excess power from the wall outlet with your CPAP taking priority. When the battery is charging in this way, you can expect it to take longer than the standard recharge time of 2-3 hours (if it was fully discharged). Once power has returned, the battery would switch back to normal power and would not continue to discharge itself.

While purchasing off of Amazon US is an option, our 1 year warranty currently only covers addresses in Canada, Continental US, and Australia.
well this is the only cons for me, because i live in austria, so the warranty is only 6 month and i have to buy it in US because no dealer in europe
Add.info: Pilot 24 was produced 2015 and is replaced by Pilot 24 plus, which has slight revisions but otherwise has the same functions

I intend to buy the unit from amazon before a make next travel to remote areas. DaveY has got the unit, maybe he can report...
Best regards
Christian
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 108 9 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,975 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,827 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 522 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.