Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quatro Air
Humidifier: H5I
CPAP Pressure: 24/18
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Question Battery Backup
Tomorrow I get my new ResMed S9 VPAP with H5i (very excited). My question is this, for power outages what are you guys using? I also know ResMed sells the Power Station II for around 500 bucks...500 bucks, really, highway robbery.

Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC. I admit I have only begun my research here and depending on volts/amps/watts, etc., these backups may not work.

I am looking for a more reasonably priced solution.

Any suggestions?
03-16-2014 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

RE: Battery Backup
A nice APC backup battery is good for 'sags' and short power outages (call it under an hour) - I for one have a backup 'genny' for long outages (power goes to the APC, then to my CPAP)

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
03-16-2014 11:57 AM
Doc J Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: resMed H5i Dumped and dry daily
CPAP Pressure: 10-15

Other Comments: Knowledge is King and this is the place to find it! Thanks everyone.

Hey rcbarr welcome. If you look below at all the related threads you will find many on battery use. I'm not as worried about power outage as a few camping trips but in emergency I'll use it. I got the 12 volt dc to 24 volt dc adapter for the S9 and will use a marine deep cycle battery. I don't need it to be light weight so I can kill two birds with one battery trolling motor and pap. It's big enough to handle several nights and I'm only out $180.
Good Luck, Doc J
03-16-2014 12:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-16-2014 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote:  Tomorrow I get my new ResMed S9 VPAP with H5i (very excited). My question is this, for power outages what are you guys using? I also know ResMed sells the Power Station II for around 500 bucks...500 bucks, really, highway robbery.

Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC. I admit I have only begun my research here and depending on volts/amps/watts, etc., these backups may not work.

Any suggestions?

They work for short term outages. Note that many computer backups generate a step approximation to a sine wave when running on battery. You need a "pure sine" wave. Thanks to many newer computers having switching power supplies that have power factor correction (cosine of the phase angle between voltage and current) they now make "pure sine" wave backups for computers.

If you understand the concepts of Ampere-Hour capacity and Wattage, you can estimate your run time on such a backup.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-16-2014 12:13 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi rcbarr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are quite a few threads here on this board about battery power, what to do and what not to do.
CONGRATULATIONS on the new machine and Best of luck to you.

trish6hundred
03-16-2014 12:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ggarcia Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics Bipapauto 700M
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: Confort blue full
Humidifier: Respironics 1051158
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(03-16-2014 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote:  Tomorrow I get my new ResMed S9 VPAP with H5i (very excited). My question is this, for power outages what are you guys using? I also know ResMed sells the Power Station II for around 500 bucks...500 bucks, really, highway robbery.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody here tried Micro Start XP 1 from antigravity batteries?
03-16-2014 07:33 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(03-16-2014 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote:  Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC.

Should be fine for the little power bumps and dips. Most computer backups have a rather annoying beeper that goes off when the powers out. So sleeping through a blackout would not be a problem. A nice screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters can often solve the beeping problem. Best done when the power is off.
03-16-2014 07:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-16-2014 07:41 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote:  Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC.

Should be fine for the little power bumps and dips. Most computer backups have a rather annoying beeper that goes off when the powers out. So sleeping through a blackout would not be a problem. A nice screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters can often solve the beeping problem. Best done when the power is off.

I can turn the alarms off on my APC supply I use for my computer.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-16-2014 09:09 PM
rcbarr Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

I appreciate it all, I am sure there are plenty of posts about this and I have of course went through a lot of them.

I am very technical by trade but I have to admit I am still a little miffed about this whole battery backup thing.

OK back to the abyss and much more research. I may be back with more specific questions once I wrap my brain around my options.

Suffice to say, good grief, there so should be simpler solutions out there, affordable solutions.

OK back to my hole. Before I go, thanks all, I do appreciate your time and knowledge, thanks for your responses.

Thanks
03-16-2014 09:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
rcbarr Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(03-16-2014 11:57 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  A nice APC backup battery is good for 'sags' and short power outages (call it under an hour) - I for one have a backup 'genny' for long outages (power goes to the APC, then to my CPAP)

Peter_C, first, wow, your signature says it all, sheez. Now my question, what is a backup "genny", give me a link to it.
03-16-2014 09:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 278 22,180 10-27-2016 05:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 501 09-16-2016 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Pilot-24 CPAP Battery System from Medistrom sonicboom 15 4,555 09-16-2016 11:07 AM
Last Post: DSchabel
  [Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power? Grooves McFly 21 2,760 08-31-2016 01:29 AM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  [Equipment] Battery usage with CPAP (S7 and A10) MrGadget 10 760 08-26-2016 06:24 AM
Last Post: Bhante
Surprised [Equipment] Emergency backup power Marthajoy7 9 601 08-21-2016 10:00 AM
Last Post: icyura10
  UPS options (Power backup for CPAP) machines Hmm888 14 1,618 08-19-2016 12:28 PM
Last Post: ve7ltd