Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery Backup
Question 
Battery Backup
Tomorrow I get my new ResMed S9 VPAP with H5i (very excited). My question is this, for power outages what are you guys using? I also know ResMed sells the Power Station II for around 500 bucks...500 bucks, really, highway robbery.

Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC. I admit I have only begun my research here and depending on volts/amps/watts, etc., these backups may not work.

I am looking for a more reasonably priced solution.

Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery Backup
A nice APC backup battery is good for 'sags' and short power outages (call it under an hour) - I for one have a backup 'genny' for long outages (power goes to the APC, then to my CPAP)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey rcbarr welcome. If you look below at all the related threads you will find many on battery use. I'm not as worried about power outage as a few camping trips but in emergency I'll use it. I got the 12 volt dc to 24 volt dc adapter for the S9 and will use a marine deep cycle battery. I don't need it to be light weight so I can kill two birds with one battery trolling motor and pap. It's big enough to handle several nights and I'm only out $180.
Good Luck, Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote: Tomorrow I get my new ResMed S9 VPAP with H5i (very excited). My question is this, for power outages what are you guys using? I also know ResMed sells the Power Station II for around 500 bucks...500 bucks, really, highway robbery.

Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC. I admit I have only begun my research here and depending on volts/amps/watts, etc., these backups may not work.

Any suggestions?

They work for short term outages. Note that many computer backups generate a step approximation to a sine wave when running on battery. You need a "pure sine" wave. Thanks to many newer computers having switching power supplies that have power factor correction (cosine of the phase angle between voltage and current) they now make "pure sine" wave backups for computers.

If you understand the concepts of Ampere-Hour capacity and Wattage, you can estimate your run time on such a backup.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rcbarr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are quite a few threads here on this board about battery power, what to do and what not to do.
CONGRATULATIONS on the new machine and Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote: Tomorrow I get my new ResMed S9 VPAP with H5i (very excited). My question is this, for power outages what are you guys using? I also know ResMed sells the Power Station II for around 500 bucks...500 bucks, really, highway robbery.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody here tried Micro Start XP 1 from antigravity batteries?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote: Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC.

Should be fine for the little power bumps and dips. Most computer backups have a rather annoying beeper that goes off when the powers out. So sleeping through a blackout would not be a problem. A nice screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters can often solve the beeping problem. Best done when the power is off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 07:41 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-16-2014, 11:53 AM)rcbarr Wrote: Have any of you guys tried a standard Computer Battery Backup from Tripplite or APC.

Should be fine for the little power bumps and dips. Most computer backups have a rather annoying beeper that goes off when the powers out. So sleeping through a blackout would not be a problem. A nice screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters can often solve the beeping problem. Best done when the power is off.

I can turn the alarms off on my APC supply I use for my computer.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate it all, I am sure there are plenty of posts about this and I have of course went through a lot of them.

I am very technical by trade but I have to admit I am still a little miffed about this whole battery backup thing.

OK back to the abyss and much more research. I may be back with more specific questions once I wrap my brain around my options.

Suffice to say, good grief, there so should be simpler solutions out there, affordable solutions.

OK back to my hole. Before I go, thanks all, I do appreciate your time and knowledge, thanks for your responses.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 11:57 AM)Peter_C Wrote: A nice APC backup battery is good for 'sags' and short power outages (call it under an hour) - I for one have a backup 'genny' for long outages (power goes to the APC, then to my CPAP)

Peter_C, first, wow, your signature says it all, sheez. Now my question, what is a backup "genny", give me a link to it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,500 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.