Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery Backup Humidifier use Dream Station 2 cpap advanced
Battery Backup Humidifier use Dream Station 2 cpap advanced
Has anyone successfully ran battery backup for Dream Station 2 CPAP advanced with humidifier and if so what setup were they using. I have a deep cycle 12v with direct 12v adapter however the Humidifier shuts down after an hour or so. Would I be better off with a Lithium Battery setup?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery Backup Humidifier use Dream Station 2 cpap advanced
The performance of any electrical device is based on its energy usage and has nothing to do with the energy density or type of battery being used. Some batteries store more energy per pound, have better discharge/charge rates, and last longer, but a 35-ah lithium-ion battery delivers much the same amount of energy as a 35-ah deep-cycle marine battery. The key to solving your problem lies in matching your device to the appropriate capacity device.

I would start with the manufacturer to determine the power usage of your device (if you do not wish to measure it directly with a suitable meter). Now determine how long you wish to run the device. And then select a battery solution that provides 150 - 200% of the energy required. DC solutions are always preferred as they are more efficient.

What is your pressure range?

How long do you want to sleep?

Must the solution be FAA approved?

Will you travel or will the use be mostly stationary?

Do you have a budget?

Will you be using it to automatically switch to battery if you lose your primary power?

Will this be used in a normally hot climate?

What is the humidity setting you use? Heated tube? ARE YOU SURE YOU NEED THE HUMIDIFIER?

I have a friend who uses an ultra-expensive, heavy 12V 400Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) Battery Pack and got one 8h night at 3/1 humidifier/tube setting that used 68% of a full charge. He did it only once and decided it wasn't worth using the humidifier.

What is the rating of your current battery?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
My DS2 would not run on my lithium battery setup in my RV.  The voltage is to high.... 14.2 volts or so.

I ended up running a small, 400 watt (I think), inverter.  Then running the regular 115 VAC, from the inverter.

As a side note.  My old Dream Station 1, worked fine on the DC from the lithium batteries.

Hope this helps.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, to deplete a 400 Ah lithium battery to 68% in 8 hours,  means he was drawing 34 Amps for those 8 hours to use 272 Ah.

That's a lot of power for a CPAP setup.  Mine draws about 3-5 Amps.  Which is 3 to 5 Amp hours for 8 hours, for a total of 24 to 40 Amp Hours.  Which is less than 14% of my 300 Ah capacity. And that is with humidifier and tube heater on.

John

P.S. after rereading the post. I suspect he meant 40 Ah, not 400 Ah. Then the numbers pretty much line up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2022, 04:33 PM)blizardj Wrote: Wow, to deplete a 400 Ah lithium battery to 68% in 8 hours,  means he was drawing 34 Amps for those 8 hours to use 272 Ah.

That's a lot of power for a CPAP setup.  Mine draws about 3-5 Amps.  Which is 3 to 5 Amp hours for 8 hours, for a total of 24 to 40 Amp Hours.  Which is less than 14% of my 300 Ah capacity.  And that is with humidifier and tube heater on.

John

P.S.  after rereading the post.  I suspect he meant 40 Ah, not 400 Ah.  Then the numbers pretty much line up.

John -- nice catch of the typo. It was 40, not 400.  Thanks
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 114 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,338 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,829 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.