Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier & Mask issues New CPAPer'
Humidifier & Mask issues New CPAPer'
Hi all!

New to the therapy, the mask, the whole deal. Three days in now though and really liking how I feel.

Two issues-

1- The humidifier runs out of water inside of 5 hours and then wakes me because the air is so dry.

2- My Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask leaks by the eyes, and is annoying as hell. Some of you guys have made suggestions for that in another thread and believe me I will be trying them, so no reason to repeat them here unless you want to. But I thanks you in advance, will advise if they help.

3- Wondering what data my unit records, and what software to use to read it.

Any help from all you guys would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier & Mask issues New CPAPer'
sleepyhead may work for you depending on what kind of machine and OS you are using.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Galactus
1- Try lower humidity setting, leaks uses more water. Chinstrap can helps minimize mouth leaks
2- Try different mask ... nasal pillows does not leak into your eyes
3- If you,re using the machine listed in your user profile "Phillips Respironics System One REMstar Plus C-Flex", the Plus model is not not data capable machine, only display hours used. Just to be sure check the model number printed at the label (bottom of the machine) removing water tank before checking. Model numbers below 450 or 460 (60 series machines) are not data capable machines

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, me50, sorry it took me so long to reply!

My unit is what I have in my profile, and it is a 260P according to what I have found, and what the DME tells me.

I tried the chinstrap, and I tried lowering the humidity setting. the chinstrap didn't help, but lowering the humidifier helped a bit, not much.

I was told nasal pillows wouldn't be good for me based on my 18 pressure setting.

Since all the above and my answers I called my DME, and I spoke with the nice lady who set me up, and I told her of my issues. She said bring in the card, and come in and I'll see what we can do. So I took her up on it, I brought in the machine, the card, the mask etc. She checked the card and she showed me what she can read, basically she gets a red line, a green line or a black line. Red means not long enough for the compliance thing, Green indicates I am getting the therapy as I need, and Black would indicate the mask was leaking enough to reduce me getting my benefit of the therapy. She showed me I was all green despite the blowback in my eyes Sad

We then began talking about the nasal pillow masks, and she said, you want one you got one, but I'm telling you it will annoy you and we laughed. well she got me the phillips nuance with the gel headgear as she said if it is nasal pillows this is the one she likes the most and she says she has used them all. She set me up and fitted me and you know I really liked it, so she took my old mask and gave me this one. I really like it, I like how it feels, it doesn't leak, it is quite quiet, and it fits well as well it has less headgear so it is easier to sleep in, and it feels good.

So my update would be so far so good, hope this info might help someone else.

Now where do I get the encore viewer software she has so I can see what she sees??
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 11:14 PM)Galactus Wrote: My unit is what I have in my profile, and it is a 260P according to what I have found, and what the DME tells me.
Model number printed at the label (bottom of the machine) remove the water tank and check. Model numbers below 460 are not data capable machines, no efficacy data (AHI, leak, etc) just hours using the machines. This nice little lady telling you fibs, don,t waste your time chasing any software just tell them you want this brick replaced with data capable machine so you and your doctor can see how the treatment is working
See for yourself, System One comparison (REMstar Plus ... no event detection or flow waveform)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
Galactus

As far as the wisp goes, I was told that the the cushion isn't supposed to go to the bridge of your nose and that they are designed to go lower. I use the s/m and the petite (when the s/m is drying from being washed) and I don't get that blowing in my eyes now like I did sometimes with the large cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 12:40 AM)zonk Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 11:14 PM)Galactus Wrote: My unit is what I have in my profile, and it is a 260P according to what I have found, and what the DME tells me.
Model number printed at the label (bottom of the machine) remove the water tank and check. Model numbers below 460 are not data capable machines, no efficacy data (AHI, leak, etc) just hours using the machines. This nice little lady telling you fibs, don,t waste your time chasing any software just tell them you want this brick replaced with data capable machine so you and your doctor can see how the treatment is working
See for yourself, System One comparison (REMstar Plus ... no event detection or flow waveform)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf

Ok, so I am no expert, as a point of fact I know much less than most of you guys. Having said that it was explained that if you were trying to defraud the insurance company by just turning on the machine and leaving it run to be compliant the unit wouldn't sense you breathing so the line would be black, as you wouldn't be getting the therapy needed. Same she says if the leak was too much to negate the therapy, the line would be black.

As to getting another unit, I asked, and I was told that the other units are twice the price of these, and the script would need to be changed as the doctor has to order it, and that they likely wouldn't do that as there wasn't a need.

(01-27-2014, 01:05 AM)me50 Wrote: Galactus

As far as the wisp goes, I was told that the the cushion isn't supposed to go to the bridge of your nose and that they are designed to go lower. I use the s/m and the petite (when the s/m is drying from being washed) and I don't get that blowing in my eyes now like I did sometimes with the large cushion.

I have to say I am so happy with the new mask, I am not going to look back, I really like it!

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 03:18 PM)Galactus Wrote: As to getting another unit, I asked, and I was told that the other units are twice the price of these, and the script would need to be changed as the doctor has to order it, and that they likely wouldn't do that as there wasn't a need.
The script did not specify this machine, they chose to give you the cheapest model to maximize their profits by few lousy dollars. People have said insurance pay the same amount for any machine billing code E0601 which cover basic machine to auto full data capable machines. Check on-line, the price difference is only few dollars ... they,re the fraudsters
You don,t want to be stuck with this brick for the next five years, yes talk to your doctor and tell him you want data capable machine and specify the machine of your choice on the prescription and write "dispense as written" so this fraudster gives what the doctor is ordered
Archangel Machine choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Archangel wrote ... If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.

edit, you might be doing fine at the moment but without efficacy data (AHI, Leak rate, charts like the sleep study) what your doctor will be checking at the followup appointment? compliance data might be important for the DME so they can get paid by insurance. Efficacy data gives insight how the therapy is working so the doctor can make adjustment if needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 03:54 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-27-2014, 03:18 PM)Galactus Wrote: As to getting another unit, I asked, and I was told that the other units are twice the price of these, and the script would need to be changed as the doctor has to order it, and that they likely wouldn't do that as there wasn't a need.
The script did not specify this machine, they chose to give you the cheapest model to maximize their profits by few lousy dollars. People have said insurance pay the same amount for any machine billing code E0601 which cover basic machine to auto full data capable machines. Check on-line, the price difference is only few dollars ... they,re the fraudsters
You don,t want to be stuck with this brick for the next five years, yes talk to your doctor and tell him you want data capable machine and specify the machine of your choice on the prescription and write "dispense as written" so this fraudster gives what the doctor is ordered
Archangel Machine choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Archangel wrote ... If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.

edit, you might be doing fine at the moment but without efficacy data (AHI, Leak rate, charts like the sleep study) what your doctor will be checking at the followup appointment? compliance data might be important for the DME so they can get paid by insurance. Efficacy data gives insight how the therapy is working so the doctor can make adjustment if needed.

Ok, so if I get you right you are saying that the dme decided the machine rather than the doctor. That being the case I should call the doctor and ask that he issues a script for a specific machine? If that's the case what is the best machine to ask for? I read the post you cited, and I see a few machines there, but which should I specifically ask for if this is a dispense as prescribed script. because I want to ask for the right thing, or will any data capable machine be better?

Thanks again for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME seems to be much better than average. The Rx specifies APAP and they gave me a choice of the 3 best (?) machines in that category -- the two most common top machines and another good one.

Since apparently your Rx said "CPAP" they didn't have to give you a top machine. (My DME also made sure to get heated hose etc.)

QUESTION/SUGGESTION: Would running a separate room humidifier be a smart idea? Obviously if the room is extremely dry (climate or due to heat since it has been cold many places, at least in the US) then starting with more humid air would cut down on the humidifier's needs.

Leaks sound like the best way to fix, but the idea of a separate humidifier seems worth considering.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 218 10 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 113 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 159 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 219 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.