Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery backup for Dreamstation
Battery backup for Dreamstation
After reading another thread I purchased this item from Amazon which many say works with their CPAPS.

Commercial Link Removed, instead search Amazon for Poweradd Pilot Pro 32000 Power Bank.

I found the right adapter plug which fits fine, the machine powers up but then stays on "Check Power"

I did set it to 12v

Any suggestions?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery backup for Dreamstation
Make sure humidifier settings are off, and if necessary start with a brief ramp. A few Poweradd Pilot batteries did not power CPAPs and were exchanged. I know they work reliably, but there is some variation in the batteries.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried your suggestions but no go unfortunately.  Should I try an exchange?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would definitely exchange it. The output specifications have the correct voltage and amps to run the machine. A few of the batteries do not produce the output amps. Nearly all exchanges have been successful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2017, 07:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I would definitely exchange it.  The output specifications have the correct voltage and amps to run the machine.  A few of the batteries do not produce the output amps.  Nearly all exchanges have been successful.

I charged the unit to 100% and it started up but quickly switched to "check power source".  I've ordered a 2nd unit.  Hope that works
Post Reply Post Reply
The units have been demonstrated to work at your pressures, but some batteries have failed to keep the machines running. That's all I got.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Is this for backup purposes or portability? the subject line "battery backup" sounds like you may want something for home only. If you are concerned about being at home and losing power then buy a UPS backup. You will get much better performance and usage out of it. But a UPS backup is not portable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Computer UPS backups are not suitable for CPAP backup use.

They are designed and spec'ed with relatively small batteries, for short run times and are not at all efficient with the batteries they have since they run through an inverter (hugely inefficient process taking 120 V AC (at least in the US), turning it into stored 12 V DC energy, then using a good portion of that stored energy turning it back into 120 V AC, then running that through a converter to turn it back into 12 V DC for your machine to use (back into 24 V DC if one has one of the ResMed units). Keep in mind, computer UPS systems were never designed to RUN computer systems*. They were designed to allow a computer system user to continue for a short time to save what he is working on and gracefully shut down the system in the event of a power failure as opposed to having the system crash rudely if power is interrupted and losing whatever he is working on or from corrupting system stability if a system needs to go through a certain shutdown routine.

Even the more robust household/office size UPS units may make only a couple hours of CPAP coverage until they flat line. If the objective is only to protect against interruption in case of very short outages (ie if power goes out for a half hour and the user does not want to be awakened in the middle of the night), there may be a utility there. But they in no case make good substitute for backup batteries.

The Battery Brick mentioned in the start of this thread claims 32,000 mAH battery (32 AH) capacity. If it works, that should be a good backup solution in most cases and probably a reasonably portable solution (I think it is sized too large to carry for air travel but have not looked up TSA/airline specs lately....). And if it truly has 32 AH capacity (not that any manufacturer has EVER overstated capacity!), that would get me through probably SEVEN nights of CPAP/APAP coverage. That is good backup.

Having grown up in areas subject to multi-day/night outages when we would get ice storms, or having witnessed other disaster situations when living near the Gulf coast, battery backup means a battery, or batteries, or batteries and off-grid charging system that can keep me sleeping with my CPAP for the minimum number of nights I could likely be in an outage (in the very large city where I live now, most likely situations short of a regional/national grid failure (think the 1859 Carrington Event (massive solar eruption)), should see the power back up within three days. YMMV

OMMOHY

*Self-contained home or office UPS systems
Post Reply Post Reply
if this is for home use the UPS is a better solution. Your "cons" are wrong. You are comparing a teeny weeny 32A times 12 volts=360VA to UPS units that are multiples of this size! If he is using it for home then these silly suggestions I am reading of "turn off humidifier, turn on ramp up" are comical. Also the output of a quality UPS will have a beautiful sinewave and correct for any power surges.

Now if he wants it to be portable and always off the grid then a UPS is a terrible idea.

But please do not suggest to anyone that your tiny portable unit which you need to keep charging and discharging regularly is a better 24x7 plug it and forget it home unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2017, 06:13 AM)heov Wrote: if this is for home use the UPS is a better solution.  Your "cons" are wrong.  You are comparing a teeny weeny 32A times 12 volts=360VA to UPS units that are multiples of this size!  If he is using it for home then these silly suggestions I am reading of "turn off humidifier, turn on ramp up" are comical.  Also the output of a quality UPS will have a beautiful sinewave and correct for any power surges.  

Now if he wants it to be portable and always off the grid then a UPS is a terrible idea.

But please do not suggest to anyone that your tiny portable unit which you need to keep charging and discharging regularly is a better 24x7 plug it and forget it home unit.

I'm not suggesting.  I'm stating a fact.

As to your assertion of "these silly suggestions I am reading of 'turn off humidifier, turn on ramp up' are comical."  I AM suggesting taking some time, googling the ResMed Battery Guide and seeing exactly how much MORE power the humidifier and heated hoses on these units use (Hint: an S-9 with no humidification, at 8 CM of pressure woud require a 6 AH battery  for an 8 hour night's use; 8 CM of pressure with humidifier + climate control set to 30 degrees C. (high end) would require a 61 AH sized battery for one night. Or look to my recent thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...cuilations where I actually went to the trouble to measure nightly current draw over several nights to document and calculate how much usage I can expect with my machine from my 35 and 39 AH backup batteries (on average, at my pressures, on the 35 AH battery, without heated humidification, I should get 8 nights; with moderately low humidification settings I should get 3 nights.)  If it were not frowned upon, I might have referred you to one of a couple of professional electrical engineers on this forum that I am guessing would likely back up my assertions (I say this because it has been discussed on this forum several times over the last several years and mostly, we seem to be in agreement).  

The part about "the output of a quality UPS will have a beautiful sinewave and correct for any power surges."  Really?  AC coming out of the wall is pretty much a nice sine wave pattern.  AC coming out of inverters like those in household/office UPS systems is is chunky and blocky when seen on a scope (there are a few very expensive exceptions).  If only we had a scope to show this.  Or maybe the ResMed battery guide could show pictures.  Wait - IT DOES! And frankly, CPAP/APAP/BiPAP machines really couldn't car less if they're fed a sine-wave or a stepped wave pattern. They all go through a converter to pull the power supplied to the unit's blower and electronic controls back to 12 or 24 V DC.

Samuel L. Clemens is often attributed a quote that might be particularly fitting. But I'll defer actually quoting it...  

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 101 3 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,822 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 199 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,499 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.