Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery backup for Dreamstation
RE: Battery backup for Dreamstation
(07-28-2017, 06:13 AM)heov Wrote: 32A times 12 volts=360VA

The units are incorrect. That is 32 Amp-Hrs times 12 Volt. The product does not yield Volt-Amperes. It yields Volt-Ampere-Hours.

You could have phrased your reply in a nicer way. You may question the statements; but your response is insulting to the person.
As I did in correcting the units, I did not take aim at the person posting.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I can confirm this will NOT work with the Dreamstation Pro.  I exchanged the unit for a new one, charged it and same results.  It powers up the Dreamstation then the Dreamstation reverts to a "check power" screen.   Any other confirmed to work ideas for the Dreamstation that are simple and not too expensive?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2017, 06:33 PM)speed3914 Wrote: Well I can confirm this will NOT work with the Dreamstation Pro.  I exchanged the unit for a new one, charged it and same results.  It powers up the Dreamstation then the Dreamstation reverts to a "check power" screen.   Any other confirmed to work ideas for the Dreamstation that are simple and not too expensive?

If it is for fixed use, a 35 AH SLA/AGM battery like for scooters is hard to beat.  Good (probably multi-night) duration if you can get by without active humidification and at just under 25 lbs still maneuverable and portable.  For travel or camping, not so much so unless you can park close to where you pitch your tent.  Probably $65ish.  There are a lot of cheap unbranded or flash branded ones out there.  CSB is by Hitachi.  IIRC mine were made in Taiwan rather than People's Republic of Calif, er, China.  Which is mo better.  They also have a 39 AH version in the same size case.  Which is also mo better.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a UPS and it will work
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2017, 11:56 PM)heov Wrote: Get a UPS and it will work

But for only a VERY short time.  

Let's compare head to head.  NOT using any of my numbers.  We will use only manufacturer OEM info.  Let's use ResMed's published numbers using an S-9 AutoSet at a moderate, medium setting - pressure of 10 cm H2O with H5i humidifier set to 3 and no ClimateLine hose.

UPS = Battery + charger + inverter+ power fail switchover. For this analysis we assume the APC BR1500G Back-UPS Pro 1500 VA ups (currently selling for around $170 USD from Amazon or Newegg).  (Sidenote:  manufacturer's online spec for that unit describes the wave form for that unit as "Stepped approximation to a sinewave" and NOT "a beautiful sine wave".)

To find what battery that UPS uses I went to APC Battery and Upgrade Selector on APC's web site.  The battery spec'ed is APC's RBC124 battery assembly.  For a reality check I went to Amazon and found the replacement battery there too.  While the specs don't explicitly cite the Ah capacity of that assembly, the the assemblies on both sites plainly show the assembly label.  It is easier to see on Amazon, but both sites show the battery assembly plainly labeled "9Ah/12V".

At the heart of that big UPS is a relatively small 12V 9 Ah battery assembly.  So there we have what we need to get going.

First, since we are talking about the UPS, which is essentially a battery and inverter in a box, we go to ResMed's Battery Guide at http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf .  (on review, I note that link says "dam documents ...")

THE UPS UNIT
We go to the section for inverter use since that's what the UPS really is.  For those following along, we're going to page 13.  There we find the APAP unit will be expected to draw 3.01 amps of current running at the settings outlined above.  Now, if we follow ResMed's assumption that rated Ah capacity is absolute best case scenario on the day that battery leaves the factory and is first fully charged, we have to allow a safety factor for ever growing age of the battery, number of recharge cycles, phase of the moon, how smelly the user's feet are, etc. etc. etc.  ResMed uses a 50% safety factor.  That means we multiply the expected current draw by 150%.  For this illustration we use a current draw of 4.50 or (3.01 * 150%).  For evaluation based on ResMed's assumptions, we calculate expected reliable run time thusly:  9 Ah / 4.50 A = 2.00 hours.   Two whole hours!  To an extreme, if we take the very unlikely best case scenario with NO safety factor figured in we calculate the run time just so:  9 Ah /  3.01 A = 3.00 hours.  So we expect probably two hours, maybe longer but never likely reaching three hours. Ouch.  That's not much of a backup.  ResMed says somebody would really need a 36 Ah battery for a whole night at those settings.  That's why most knowledgeable folks just don't consider a home/office UPS to be a good choice for backup.

DIRECT DC BATTERY
Here, we're going to go back and just assume that the 32,000 mA battery worked.  Or we can just as easily assume we have a 35 Ah AGM/SLA battery since they do reliably work and we're gonna do it both ways.  Since we're not using that horribly inefficient inverter the UPS uses, we are going to the battery converter section of the book (ResMed began a nasty habit of requiring a proprietary converter to run it's units on DC power starting with the S-9.  That is a downside if your have a ResMed unit.  If you have a Respironics or DeVillbiss, consider yourself lucky.)  Anyway, turn over in the Resmed Battery Guide to page 18.  Here we find the unit's expected current draw at our settings are 2.03 A (3.05 A with the 50% safety factor).  So we work this two different ways - 32 Ah for the 32,000 mA battery and at 35 Ah for the AGM/SLA battery.

32,000 mA battery yields (32 Ah / 3.05 A = 10.49 hours)  Ten and a half hours as opposed to two; if we assume magic batteries and take the safety factor out like we did above, this battery yields (32 Ah / 2.03 = 15.76 hours).   Almost two eight hour nights.  But given reliability issues, may not be a good option.  Go on to the VERY reliable, but heavy 35 Ah battery mentioned as an alternative ...

The 35 Ah AGM/SLA battery yields (35 Ah / 3.05 A = 11.47 hours)  About eleven and a half hours; if we go back into Never Never Land and assume a perfect battery on a perfect day in perfect condition, this battery yields (35 Ah / 2.03 A = 17.24 hours).  Two nights of sleeping in late!

CONCLUSION
For the settings outlined above, we can have a two, maybe up to three hour battery backup if we buy the UPS that costs $170.  

If we run our CPAP/APAP directly off the battery, we can safely get a night and a half of sleep, maybe two nights - cost $65 for AGM/SLAbattery, $25 for a small Deltran Battery Tender Figure $10 for a cigar lighter battery cable - $100 investment.  Add $65 for the poor folks unfortunate enough to have a ResMed unit and have to get the proprietary 12/24 V DC converter.  So total one time out of pocket costs are pretty much the same.  Performance, on the  other hand are greatly different with the direct DC solution the hands down winner.

Turn off the heat to the humidifier and we get much longer use (work the numbers in the book with no heated humidification).

Now if we want to talk about an efficient, effective UPS solution for CPAP/APAP/BiPAP use,  I have a very elegant solution that I built from readily available components including a single 35 Ah battery.  It keeps the battery charged and provides for automatic switch over/ switch back upon AC power failure/restoration.  It costs more, but it is a really efficient, effective solution that will get me three and a half nights with heated humidification, and more eight or nine nights if I turn off humidification.

Sleep on it - 

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry the PowerAdd Pilot Pro did not work for you. I have used an older version, and there is a long thread on another forum "Backpacking-Hiking-and-Camping--the-PowerAdd-Pilot-Pro" where the battery is extensively discussed. I will avoid recommending it based on your experience. It may have been revised.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What would be the difference using the above setup VS the battery  backup I originally posted? Would this setup work with my Dreamstation? How do you connect it? Where does the cigarette  lighter part plug into? Sprry nust havong trouble understanding whether you are generalizing or this may be a solution for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2017, 10:06 AM)speed3914 Wrote: What would be the difference using the above setup VS the battery  backup I originally posted? Would this setup work with my Dreamstation? How do you connect it? Where does the cigarette  lighter part plug into? Sprry nust havong trouble understanding whether you are generalizing or this may be a solution for me?

The SLA/AGM battery solution would work beautifully for you.  

You would have to get the Respironics DC cord for the Dreamstation.  You would have to get a battery cable with alligator clips and a cigar lighter outlet.  That simple.  Oh, and a small charger.

I just did a quick google on "12VDC Power Cord For Phillips respirioncs DreamStation" and they are easily available online.  One of the first returns for me directs to Amazon for a cost of around 35.  They also have a combo pack with the battery cord for mid 50s.

You can get the SLA/AGM batteries in whatever size you prefer.  I really dig the 35 AH size.  Good capacity and small/lightweight enough to move around (~25 lbs/11.3 kg).  Good for stationary (home) use or limited movement use (camping at a camp site where you can park a car).  35 AH can be had for ~$65.  I don't like generic ones or unknown brands.  I like CSB batteries (Hitachi - but not made in Japan) and I also have a PowerSonic.  Long established brand names have a reputation to protect - not so much so generic or fly-by-night brands that can pop up overnight simply by slapping a flashy label on a generic made in China battery.  Made in China generic batteries may be perfectly fine, but I just trust a provider that has a reputation to protect more.

You would also need a charger - most popularly mentioned are the Deltran Battery Tender units.  For simply backup, one of their small wall wart .75 A chargers for $25 will get you by, but will take a loooooooooooooong time to recharge a depleted battery.  Higher amperage chargers in their line will be faster (I have both the wall wart and a 6 A model).  You can leave the Deltran Battery tender units plugged in and charging your SLA/AGM battery all the time without worrying about damaging the battery.  You can't do that with all chargers.  There are others just as good, but the Deltran is the name that always comes up. The battery under my bed stays on a charger all the time (it's the fancy UPS setup and uses a component from West Mountain Radio) - my other two backup batteries I use the 6 A Deltran and swap from one battery to the other at the first of each month and just leave it on there until the next swap out.

When the lights go out, you just get up, unplug the AC power supply from the back of the unit, plug in the DC power cord and plug that into the battery cable.  Run that way until the lights come back on.   Oh, to prolong battery life, leave water in the humidifier but turn the heat off.  I ran this way for backup for several years prior to building out my CPAP dedicated home made UPS.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
One addition -- if it looks like a wire, put a fuse in it.
Specifically, fuse any wire that attaches to the + pole of the battery.
If a short occurs, that battery can put out a lot of current. Melting wire insulation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into those suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 178 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 305 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,763 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,038 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 232 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 276 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,574 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.