Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery usage, while camping
RE: Battery usage, while camping
I just got the battery in the mail. I'm in the process of moving, so I haven't been able to test it yet. I will let everyone know how it works, once I get a chance to test it
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2017, 01:04 PM)justMongo Wrote: Gunpowder:  You can rig up your own "cable" (which is all the PR "adapter" really is).  Just be careful of polarity; and fuse it.

Yep. easy for this ham radio guy but I noted the manufactured one had some ferrites so assume the onboard computer doesn't like noisy power. Could add ferrites but I have too many other projects that won't get done and I need this by next weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ferrites are to meet EMI emission standards. Keeps the cable from acting as a radiator of EMI produced by switching in the machine. You'll be fine without them. Just don't camp under some radio telescope !
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It took a while, but I have tested my setup for two nights, and it's worked great!

For storage, can I store the battery in my garage, if it will freeze during the winter, or would that be bad for the battery?

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2017, 04:31 AM)hansk Wrote: It took a while, but I have tested my setup for two nights, and it's worked great!

For storage, can I store the battery in my garage, if it will freeze during the winter, or would that be bad for the battery?

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

I can't say for sure that winter won't hurt it, but car batteries live out in that weather all the time.  If it buys you piece of mind,bring it in the house.  It's not gonna hurt anything  I keep mine in little plastic trays, just in case there might be some stray leak (they don't leak but I'm protected if they do.).

If you are storing the battery, remember to hook it up to the battery tender  every month or so, or just leave it hooked up to the battery tender all the time.

Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
The electrolyte in Pb-acid batteries is sulfuric acid. At full charge, the concentration of acid is highest. A well charged battery should not freeze in winter.
In the distant past, we used an hydrometer to check the state of charge by measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte in flooded call automotive batteries.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys! I hope that I am now good to go with everything
Post Reply Post Reply
I just finished a week at Boy Scout summer camp. Here was my specs:
-Dihard AGM 34 MA Wheel Chair Battery
-DreamStation BIPAP 22/18 with heated hose/humidifier (static use of humidifier/heated hose not on)
-Respironics 12 V adapter hooked to a 12V alligator adapter
-Schumacker 15A SC4 charger. (Charged in Fast Charge/AGM mode)

I was able to get (2) 6-7 hr nights before charging. Side benefit of taking the machine is that the detached hose makes for a quick cool off fan on those warm July nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad it's working out for both of you for camping. And emergency back up at home. And that you saved some cash in the effort over buying the "dedicated" battery systems for CPAPs. And that you get some fun and satisfaction/sense of accomplishment out of doing it yourself. And maybe picked up something you can use on other applications.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 71 7 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 886 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 621 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 247 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,435 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.