Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery usage, while camping
Battery usage, while camping
I have some questions about this, since I will be on a lengthy trip this summer, for almost two weeks.  I have a Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto BiPAP with Humidifer, with a really high pressure of 24 inhale, and 18 exhale.  I also like to use my humidifier.  My machine is 12V, 6.67Amps, and 80 Watts.  During my trip, I will be able to charge the battery daily, so I will only need a one day supply of juice, at a time, in the battery.  I typically sleep about 7 hours, per night.

The battery that I'm looking at is at [link removed] It is a 105AH deep cycle battery.  Is that too excessive, not enough, or just right?

The DC cord, and adapter that I'm looking at are: [link removed] 
[link removed] [OP had the Dreamstation adapters from Supplier #1 - Moderator]

Those seem to be for my machine.

Is there a trickle charger, or some type of other charger that you would recommend?  Like I said, I'll be able to charge my battery daily.

What do people think of this set-up?  Is it safe to have my battery in the tent with me?  Are there any dangers to that?  Also, I am aware that while charging the battery, I need to have my BiPAP disconnected from the battery

Thanks, in advance, do any advice that anyone can offer!

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery usage, while camping
look at scooter batteries
like the ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Mighty Max Battery that can be had for $64
another $25-ish for a charger
Post Reply Post Reply
6.67amps X 8 hours sleep = 53.4 amp hours would get you through the night. You may want to upsize as batteries tend to hold lesser and lesser amounts of charge. You are right for looking at a deep cycle battery. You might want to look at a 12v DC to 110v AC converter, they may cost less than your sheilded cord connecter and be able to use any small appliance as well!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Hank, If you intend to use a battery for more than this one trip, then the larger battery (deep cycle) would be the right choice. Even with deep cycle, you do not want to drain it down to near empty, they will not last long. 1.5x to 2x AH will last must longer. A trickle charger will not work for multiple consecutive nights. You need to put all the amps back into the battery ever day after use, plus some more. They are not 100 percent efficient either.

The stated current draw from the cpap / humidifier is the maximum it will draw, humidifier on max, pressure max. Typical usage will be less. That works to your advantage. IF you go the route battery to AC 120V then back to 12V you will lose power due to each stage is not 100% efficient.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is, with your high pressure and using the humidifier, you need as big a battery as you can get. Will you be near any kind of power source? Like take it to the ranger's booth? If not, then you'll need a solar charger. Do a forum search for "camping" and you'll see a plethora of other threads on this subject.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rum-Search
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 12:04 PM)silversnore Wrote: 6.67amps X 8 hours sleep = 53.4 amp hours would get you through the night.  You may want to upsize as batteries tend to hold lesser and lesser amounts of charge.  You are right for looking at a deep cycle battery.  You might want to look at a 12v DC to 110v AC converter, they may cost less than your sheilded cord connecter and be able to use any small appliance as well!

How many AH would you recommend?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 12:43 PM)BrassCat Wrote: Hello Hank, If you intend to use a battery for more than this one trip, then the larger battery (deep cycle) would be the right choice. Even with deep cycle, you do not want to drain it down to near empty, they will not last long. 1.5x to 2x AH will last must longer. A trickle charger will not work for multiple consecutive nights. You need to put all the amps back into the battery ever day after use, plus some more. They are not 100 percent efficient either.

The stated current draw from the cpap / humidifier is the maximum it will draw, humidifier on max, pressure max. Typical usage will be less. That works to your advantage. IF you go the route battery to AC 120V then back to 12V you will lose power due to each stage is not 100% efficient.

Stan
What type of AH would you recommend?  What type of charger would you recommend?
I'll have access to an outlet, daily, for charging, so I'll be able to use any charger that will work, via a standard 110V outlet
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Hank, lets say you did draw 6.67h for 9 hours (how long do you sleep).
That wound be 60 amp hours per night. A 105AH 12V would be a very good battery, perhaps 90AH would be OK.'
You say you can recharge once a say? I take that to mean you can get the battery to a 120VAC outlet somewhere.
You might want to be able to put 65 to ~70AH back in. How many hours can you have the battery on a charger each day??

If you have a charger that can charge at a 10a rate, then 6 1/2  to 7 hours a day charging. Its hours times rate (amps). If you can only charge 4 hours a day you would need to charge rate of 17.5 amps, the higher the amps the lower the efficiency. 12 hours of charge at 5.8A. So it depends on how long can you charge it each day.

So, going to an auto parts store, you would need to pick a charger that will put out the current you will determine that you need. You can see a little 3A trickle charger is not going to have enough power.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
The battery type is typically an SLA/AGM battery. (Sealed Lead Acid / Absorbed Glass Mat)
I wouldn't discharge it deeper than 60%. So, you'd need around 90 AMP hours. That's a heavy battery.
That weight penalty is why most people run without humidity when off the mains.
You turn off humidity and you can use a 35 A-Hr battery.

If you have access to 110 VAC during the day. You'll need a charger in the 6 to 12 Amp range.
6 Amps, means a 10 hour charge time.

You need to re-think the humidity question... You'll probably pull about 2 Amps at 12 Volts for 8 hours running the blower only. That's 24 A-Hr; and within scope for a 35 Amp-Hr scooter battery.
You can get down to 35 A-Hours and use a 5 Amp Deltran Battery Tender during the day.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
For my own backup power needs if camping and such. I can get 3 days on my 35a-hr deepcycle battery without humidity and not running the battery down to 60%. Relatively new battery. I use passive humidity. Fill the tank with water and let the air running over it add a minimal amount of humidity to air without using the heating element. Also, I turn off the heated hose. I use a hose cover to reduce the chances of rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 80 Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,820 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 623 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.