Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery usage, while camping
RE: Battery usage, while camping
I'm not seeing AGM on that battery. I'd ask user: OMyMyOHellYes what batteries he's using. He has 3 that he rotates in service.
I think the "ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM" by Mighty Max is a better choice.

The 5 Amp battery tender can put energy back in at about twice the rate you will use it.
The end charge rate needs to taper off, so, if you're on the charger for 8 hours, it should keep the battery topped up for a night's service.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 10:38 AM)hansk Wrote: Thanks for all of your help.  I did an amazon search and found one that is a 35 AH UPG85980/D5722 Sealed Lead Acid Battery, and has a 4.5 out of 5 rating.  Does that sound like a safe one, to have in my tent with me?  I will also order the Respironics 12V DC Battery Adapter Cable with Battery Clips, and  the Respironics Shielded DC Cord for DreamStation.  I believe those are the cords designed for my machine.  In addition, you mentioned earlier, getting a battery tender, with the one you recommend.  Will that work to charge it daily, as well, or would I need an addition charger, for daily charging? Like I said before, I have all day to keep it charging, so time isn't an issue.

Thanks again for all of your help!

When I pull that one up on Amazon, it currently says "Usually ships in 1-2 months.". That may be a problem.

But yeah, that is an SLA/AGM (interchangable term) that should not be a problem.  Probably pretty good given that battery technology/manufacturing is not really high science. As you note, it has a pretty good user rating.  Note that it is a generic, non-branded battery made in China. 

Mongo mentioned that I have a preferred batteries.  I have some prejudices re: build/material quality of non-branded, made in China batteries.  They **may** be super quality, but I tend to put more faith in batteries that have somebody's name on them - someone with some brand recognition in the game.  CSB and Yuasa come to mind.  I also have a PowerSonic 35 AH under my bed right now as my home-made CPAP UPS power source.  I don't know if any of these are truly any better, but I have a better feeling because if they get the reputation for crapping the nest, then their companies are in real trouble, so I expect they keep a little bit better eye towards quality control for whoever actually makes their batteries.  A generic manufacturer, not so much.  I may be wrong about all that.

When I replace mine, I will likely go to CSB across the board as their 39 AH battery is the same footprint as others' 35 AH.

I don't think Amazon has the CSB batteries, but they do carry the PowerSonic batteries.  The PowerSonic batteries are more aesthetically pleasing with their grey and blue cases, if that is of any concerns.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

Be careful that nothing metallic comes across both terminals. That can be, um, exciting. Not in a good way.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again to both of you! I'll look further into that batteries, based on this information.

As far as the battery tenders go, is the 5 amp one good for both the charging, and the off season use, to keep the battery charged? Would I keep it hooked up all the time when I'm not using it, or just occasionally? Am I safe to store the battery in my garage, where the temperatures will be below freezing in the winter?

Again, thanks for everything!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hansk, the Deltran Plus Battery Tender is a very smart charger that gives a relatively high absorption charge rate when the battery is low, and is smart enough to turn off when the battery is fully charged. Leaving a battery on a tender is unnecessary and can be harmful. The AGM batteries do best when brought to full charge, then allowed to rest without a float charge. Constant float charge is a common mode of failure. The discharge rate of a disconnected AGM battery is such that if you simply top off the charge every month or two, it is more than enough. Leaving it on a charger is potentially harmful. You don't need or want a high amperage charger for this battery. The Deltran 1.2 amp charger is more than enough to provide the maximum absorption charge without overheating or overcharging the battery, and is ideal for AGM chemistry. They are often on sale under $40 at Costco, and $44 at Amazon.

Do not use a trickle charger long term!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow...good to know. Thanks Sleeprider. Here I was leaving my AGM battery on a float charge constantly since I had heard elsewhere and read in the manual, that this was best for it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Smart chargers intended for AGM can be left on, but periodic charging is a lot better. Deeply discharged batteries go through three charging stages; bulk, absorption and float. A smart charger like the Deltran will not over-charge a battery, but I still prefer to remove the charger. Over the past winter, I never used a charger on the motorcycle, and only use it if it is out of service a month or more.

Most of the top brand battery sites like Optima, YUASA and USA Battery have information on preferred charging specifications. With batteries, you do get what you pay for. The purity of lead, glass mat construction and support, weight, ability to withstand vibration and case integrity are very different between a cheap battery and one that costs twice as much. I have bought cheap AGM batteries and gotten less than 2 years of service, vs 7-8 years for premium brands. Double the price is not bad for 3-4 times the life.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
He has to come back to full charge after a 20 Amp-Hr discharge overnight. He'll be on the Battery Tender during the day. At a 1.2 Amp charge rate, that's 20/1.2 = 16.7 hours to recharge; and the charge has to taper at the end. So, 1.2 Amperes is not enough. That's why I am recommending the 5 Amp BT.

A Float Charge is not the same as a Trickle Charge. Trickle means a low constant current and is not good. I've killed a few flooded Pb-Acid auto batteries with a Trickle Charger.
Float is a constant Voltage; the battery will not pull charging current unless it self discharges enough to drop its Voltage.
The Battery Tender is even better than Float.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually have the bedside CPAP UPS on the float charger all the time (West Mountain Radio Super PWR gate) and try to switch out charging my remaining two batts monthly - just pull Deltran Battery Tender charger from one batt and attach it to the other then repeat 30ish daysa later....

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again to everyone, for taking the time to help me out.

I placed the order to get the Powersonic 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Battery. I also got the 5 amp Deltran Battery Tender. Hopefully I'll be good to go now, after getting the Respiironics power hookup, for batteries.

Is it safe to keep this battery in the tent with me? I obviously want to be safe. Also, is it safe to store it in my garage, when not in use? It may freeze, during the winter.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would hope it is safe enough. I sleep (well, try to sleep) with that same battery under my bed, directly beneath my head, every night I am home. My APAP will automatically switch to battery if power fails (and it has a couple of times - since it doesn't wake me, the only way I know now is when I see the microwave clock flashing and my Nest smoke detectors sending power fail messages the next morning). The other two batteries are stored in my closet where the dog slept.

They are stable from the standpoint that they don't off gas when charging like wet batteries. They are sealed and don't spill so that they can be mounted in any position. You should be good.

Again, don't let anything metal short across the terminals.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 113 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,828 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 906 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 628 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,440 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.