Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Be Careful What Filters You Use!
As best as I can tell from the manufacturer's information, these antibacterial filters are intended for use on "multi-patient" machines, such as hospital, emergency rooms, sleep labs, etc. You can't sterilize a CPAP machine, so this provides a bacterial barrier. The hose and mask can be cleaned, but not the guts of the CPAP machine.

You really shouldn't get that many germs from the patient back into the CPAP machine, since they'd have to "swim" upstream in the air flow. Also, other than the water tank, it's not a very good germ growth environment, since it's dry. Maybe they're a little afraid of germs from the hospital room getting into the machine and lurking there.

In any case, I think the antibacterial filters are mostly for lawsuit/CYA/yuck factor/abundance of caution reasons.

I also think they're intended for single night use. If you have a humidifier, the filter is going to be a dust coated, warm, wet sponge. If you don't throw it away after a night or two worth of use, it sounds to me like it will be a germ breeding ground. Would you breathe through a wet rag one and then keep breathing through the same rag night after night without cleaning?

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-04-2013 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HME (Heat moisture exchange filters) hozholla 3 554 05-13-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  Be careful I purchased use Resmed 8- learned a lesson puglady 22 1,412 05-01-2016 04:38 PM
Last Post: shewhorn
  Reinstall the filters aergun 4 403 04-17-2016 08:40 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Are the 10 series filters interchangable w S9? justMongo 2 361 04-08-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Do Hypoallergenic filters lower the output pressure in a ResMed S9 LesPauloholic 20 3,622 04-06-2016 07:40 AM
Last Post: omega2498
  Filters I_will_never_sleep_again 14 1,019 01-29-2016 06:33 PM
Last Post: Inspired
  [Equipment] Speaking of filters foss 16 2,881 07-01-2015 10:13 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred