Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Be Careful What Filters You Use!
Be Careful What Filters You Use!
Back in 2010 I had a few chest xrays, thank goodness! (you'll see why below!). I believe it was from my cardiologist but excellent views of the lungs that look great! My heart also came back with no issues but I have high blood pressure that was tricky to regulate so often changed medication doses. Okay, in 2010 I go for sleep study. Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, AHI 69.3. A certain DME comes in with a machine that doesn't meet the written order but all new to me so what did I know until started getting worse each month or so as time went on. That particular machine's maker no longer makes the filters it came with. They were a grey coarse filter, "reusable". When I felt it was time to replace it I was told they were no longer produced but have two new options, a standard (white) filter, or a hypoallergenic filter. I figured I would go with the hypoallergenic to be sure I was safe. Fast forward to mid 2012 as I was having difficulty breathing, fatigue, etc. and went back to my Doctor. First question was always "are you using your CPAP?" which I replied yes, "faithfully"! So ruling out CPAP we tried medications for about 5-6 months that didn't help. Fast forward last week. I am diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Lung Disease, I'm thinking how could this be, I'm doing everything right, faithful with therapy, meds, etc. I'm sent for Chest xrays. Not good! But don't believe cancer, preliminary thoughts are COPD or something related. I asked the nurse how could this be? She said did I smoke? I said yes, over 21 years ago. She said that is why the COPD, it built up over time! I said, I don't think so, I just had chest xrays in 2010 and my lungs were great. She had no more suggestions. Unfortunately I won't see the Pulomonolgist until a few weeks so I am in the waiting and wondering stage but thought that a fair warning might be not to use those grey coarse filters if you still have them. Especially if you live in an old house, have pets etc. I can't say for sure what caused the bottom of my lungs to not show up on last weeks xrays with any certainty, but can say the ONLY changes in my life have been using the CPAP with a coarse grey filter for quite a while! My recent xrays don't allow me to see my bottom rib anymore compared to 2010. I AM NOT TRYING TO SCARE ANYONE FROM USING THEIR CPAP!!! But PLEASE, USE A GOOD FILTER, its worth it and they aren't that much more! I see my new machine has a much denser standard filter now, certainly there is a reason for the change. You don't want to experience what I am going through right now, I can't even shower without being short on breath trying to make it to my bed, everyday tasks have gradually become impossible. I'm blessed I have some family who has been helping but it is a bit embarrassing. I will update when I get some more definitive news on the actual or final diagnosis but until then I wouldn't feel right if I didn't sound the alarm about the possibility of the grey filter being either the cause or a contributor.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Be Careful What Filters You Use!
Hi Tim,

I too believe the hypoallergenic filters are worth every penny!

I can't believe ResMed only recommends to change them every 6 months... After 2 months mine was noticeably darker than a new filter and I also have a high quality air filter in my HVAC that gets changed monthly.

Whenever you're short of breath have you checked your SpO2 level to see if you might need supplemental O2?

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash mine every couple weeks or they start getting stopped up. I also run a Honeywell HEPA air cleaner and that thing gets changed every 3 months. You would not believe the crap it picks up! Oh yah. The dust is also mildly radioactive too. Mmhmm... (shortly after Fukushima popped I built my own geiger counter just for grins and giggles)

So, filters are like diapers. Change often!!
Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 08:33 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: Hi Tim,

I too believe the hypoallergenic filters are worth every penny!

I can't believe ResMed only recommends to change them every 6 months... After 2 months mine was noticeably darker than a new filter and I also have a high quality air filter in my HVAC that gets changed monthly.

Whenever you're short of breath have you checked your SpO2 level to see if you might need supplemental O2?

Ren
I'm hitting as low as 91 when awake after slight exertion but tends to bounce back up to around 94-96 and if really moving I can get 98-99 but very rarely and I have to find a place to sit. At night low 90's higher 80's, had several 80's last night, 86, and 88's. I always "zoom" in to be sure I'm not seeing data breaks. I did another thread on the oxygen recently, can't remember the name. Doctor prescribed supplemental 02 for overnight use, DME REFUSED IT! caught them lying, said my Doctor ordered an overnight Oximetry Study from them of course, little did they know, I was standing right next to my Doctor when the nurse faxed over the script! It's just so overwhelming fighting these people with my health issues and my wife works full time plus. I've got to some how come up with an advocate. I can't fight these people when I can't breathe. Looking forward to tomorrow, my youngest daughter is coming up to help me. She'll get some of them straightened out!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 09:00 PM)2Tim215 Wrote: I can't fight these people when I can't breathe. Looking forward to tomorrow, my youngest daughter is coming up to help me. She'll get some of them straightened out!

Sorry, I forgot that was you they were trying to scam with an unnecessary O2 test.

Sic' her on 'em! :grin: Just tell her don't take NO for an answer, those jokers need to be put into their place.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 08:57 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I wash mine every couple weeks or they start getting stopped up. I also run a Honeywell HEPA air cleaner and that thing gets changed every 3 months. You would not believe the crap it picks up! Oh yah. The dust is also mildly radioactive too. Mmhmm... (shortly after Fukushima popped I built my own geiger counter just for grins and giggles)

So, filters are like diapers. Change often!!
Wink
Sounds like your filters must be working good then if they are getting "stopped up". My grey one I just washed as part of my cleaning routine. I wish it did get stopped up, then I wouldn't be worried about what got into my lungs so much! But you are right, change them often and PLEASE avoid porous filters!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 09:13 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 09:00 PM)2Tim215 Wrote: I can't fight these people when I can't breathe. Looking forward to tomorrow, my youngest daughter is coming up to help me. She'll get some of them straightened out!

Sorry, I forgot that was you they were trying to scam with an unnecessary O2 test.

Sic' her on 'em! :grin: Just tell her don't take NO for an answer, those jokers need to be put into their place.

Ren

She loves her daddy, when they mess with me its like they messed with one of my grandchildren! She has six so I don't want to burden her two much but we'll get something done one way or another.

I forgot to address your statement above about changing the filters every six months. I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT ONE WHEN I READ IT IN THEIR BOOK! Don't think some DME's like that page!Coffee
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 09:00 PM)2Tim215 Wrote: I forgot to address your statement above about changing the filters every six months. I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT ONE WHEN I READ IT IN THEIR BOOK! Don't think some DME's like that page!Coffee

I couldn't believe that as a MANUFACTURER ResMed wouldn't want to sell more of something they manufactured - like filters, especially given the fact the hypoallergenic filters trap so much more contaminants than the standard filters do, and, they need to be changed more often than a standard filter.

It clearly has to be an oversight on their part, I think everyone that has insurance can get a new filter for free every month, so why wouldn't they want to recommend to their users to change it monthly?

Huhsign

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
Your lung problems almost certainly have nothing to do with your filters. Even with "bad" filters, CPAPers will be breathing cleaner air than non-apneacs sleeping in the same room.

The filters are there mostly to protect the machine from dust, not to protect you from dust. If there were no filters at all in the machine, you'd still just be breathing the room air that you breathe 16 hours a day. Using a totally unfiltered CPAP machine would expose you to no more dust than a person without apnea would breathe.

And before someone says it, the CPAP doesn't "force the dust into your lungs." It simply keeps your airway open so that you breathe like a non-apneac would breathe.

It's important to use the right filters and change them at the proper time because a plugged filter can make the machine overheat, or even deliver the wrong pressure. Good filters do give you the advantage of breathing cleaner air, too.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 03:40 PM)archangle Wrote: The filters are there mostly to protect the machine from dust, not to protect you from dust.
in this case antibacterial filters protect you from dust if not using heated hoses

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 96 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 397 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,478 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 833 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 509 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 535 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.