Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Be careful I purchased use Resmed 8- learned a lesson
Be careful I purchased use Resmed 8- learned a lesson
I love my resmed 8. Really, really love it. But now I have a Airsense 10. I have tried everything but I can't breathe through it. Feels like I'm breathing through mud. So I decided to try and buy as many resmed 8's so that I would have enough to last me the rest of my life. (I really cannot sleep without my resmed8) There were a few on ebay that I lost out due to being overbid, but I did manage to get one. Unfortunately, it has a horrible odor. Not the water well, or hose, but the machine itself. Not sure if it is mold. This is probably why the guy was selling it and now I have it. Ugh. Very concerned as now I don't want to purchase another used one for fear of this happening again but once my current resmed 8 goes, I am in big trouble.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Be careful I purchased use Resmed 8- learned a lesson
Do you have the A10 set to the same pressure, ramp, and EPR settings as your S8? Please describe the "mud" feeling. Is this when you inhale, exhale, or both?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, everything is set exactly like my resmed 8. I have tried high humidity, low humidity, no humidity. I got rid of the heated hose but with my resmed 8, it is clean fresh air that I breathe in and out but with the airsense 10, the air feels thick and it is hard to both inhale and exhale. I find myself hyperventilating to get enough air. I don't mean to be a pain. I have used a CPAP for over 10 years with great results. I was excited to get the new machine and so disappointed to not be able to tolerate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just guessing here but it sounds like the pressure is too low on the A10. . . Have you tried bumping up the A10's pressure to see if that stops the suffocating feeling?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought...have you changed masks too, or using the same mask as you did with the S8?
A new mask could be the problem.

You can turn the humidifier off with the A10, and you shouldn't get warn air. Ate you using EPR?
That will help you when exhaling.

What pressure is your A10 set at? As Crimson Nape stated above, you may need a higher pressure.
Your S8 was 10 years old. It may have not been putting out the correct air flow, or possiblly you now require a higher pressure.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple things, first as said above, I would think the 10 would perform exactly the same if set correctly.

Second, I STRONGLY suggest you have any unit you buy on EBay sterilized/sanitized before attempting to use it, a "bad odor" is indicative of more than just a bad smell, and even if there was no odor you could be risking your health. Look at the vendors list and check out their services - most offer sanitized used units.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I can echo most of the above. While I've never used the 8 and thus have no basis for comparison, I find it hard to believe that the A10 has not seen some improvements from two models prior, thus I truly believe there is something different, or off, in the settings. I love my A10, but all of these machines work in a similar fashion and most of the performance variability can be explained by settings or mask type.

I've responded to a couple of your other posts on the same topic, and we've all suggested trying EPR, turning off Autoramp, adjusting humidity / hose temp, etc. - have you tried any of those tweaks? There is no reason I can think of why an A10 would cause a suffocating feeling unless it is set up differently than your 8, or you're using a different mask type.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Puglady. It sounds like it might be helpful if you took your Resmed 8 and your Airsense 10 in to your DME together and get a therapist or technician there to check out the temperature, pressure, and humidity of the air being produced.

Then you'd know how the two machines compare and maybe you could get an idea if there's anything you can change on the Airsense 10 so that the air it delivers will be comfortable for you.

You can do this yourself at home if you have the right measuring gadgets, but if you don't have them it would be easier to take both machines to the DME and get them checked out.

I'd ask to be there and watch them check them out.

(04-27-2016, 09:35 AM)puglady Wrote: Yes, everything is set exactly like my resmed 8. I have tried high humidity, low humidity, no humidity. I got rid of the heated hose but with my resmed 8, it is clean fresh air that I breathe in and out but with the airsense 10, the air feels thick and it is hard to both inhale and exhale. I find myself hyperventilating to get enough air. I don't mean to be a pain. I have used a CPAP for over 10 years with great results. I was excited to get the new machine and so disappointed to not be able to tolerate it.

Post Reply Post Reply
The AirFit P10 nasal mask, that is often supplied with the new AirSense 10, has given a number of people here (me!) issues with breathing through the mesh on the outside of the mask. Have you tried the AirSense 10 machine with your old mask attached to the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 08:36 AM)puglady Wrote: Unfortunately, it has a horrible odor. Not the water well, or hose, but the machine itself. Not sure if it is mold.

Does it smell like very strong alcohol?

You might be able to get your DME to clean it for you.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bipap purchased in another country Lflowermoon 2 371 07-14-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  new product---has anyone else purchased a "Healthy Hose" snorin2 10 1,133 08-24-2022, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Who has recently purchased an Uninteruptable Power Supply for their CPAP? DeeKaa 9 1,050 07-02-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Purchased Machine Online - Dr. wants access to ResMed data via server xhwmikey 2 805 12-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: xhwmikey
  What I've learned (tips for a new user) chrisiscitrus 1 853 11-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  How to qualify for medicare- what I have learned eajeff 14 2,145 02-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: eajeff
  What is learned in a 'nap study"? oldfart59 11 2,267 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: oldfart59

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.