Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Be careful I purchased use Resmed 8- learned a lesson
RE: Be careful I purchased use Resmed 8- learned a lesson
I did read that the A10 was changed because some people were complaining about the older units, betting that you were not one of them. That does mean that you will have to find your new sweet spot
Post Reply Post Reply
Before my S9 ASV I had an Autoset CS2, which is the S8 Series ASV Machine.
The main difference for me was also that the air comingout of the S9 is warmer.

I startet some temperature measurements and found out that the temperature without humidifier with the S9 is up to 3 degrees higher than with the 8 series at same pressure.
That is because in the S9 the air is lead around the electric motor to cool it.
I don´t know the 10 Series, but it might be possible that is has a similar internal design.

Hermann
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for all your help. The best part about discovering this forum is that I don't feel so alone. My therapist thinks I'm nuts as she claims all her patients have no problems. (which we all know is impossible) I will keep trying the resmed10. She swapped out my old machine for a new one today. Wish me luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 03:17 PM)HermannTheGerman Wrote: That is because in the S9 the air is lead around the electric motor to cool it.
I don´t know the 10 Series, but it might be possible that is has a similar internal design.

from the pics I've seen of disassembled air10 machines, the motor is the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi puglady,
Good luck with your new machine and hopefully, this will work out, you have had quite a struggle.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 05:26 PM)puglady Wrote: Thank you everyone for all your help. The best part about discovering this forum is that I don't feel so alone. My therapist thinks I'm nuts as she claims all her patients have no problems. (which we all know is impossible) I will keep trying the resmed10. She swapped out my old machine for a new one today. Wish me luck.

Ah, another version of the "I have been practicing for 30 years and you're the first person who has complained about this issue."

Good luck with the swap.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 05:35 PM)palerider Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 03:17 PM)HermannTheGerman Wrote: That is because in the S9 the air is lead around the electric motor to cool it.

from the pics I've seen of disassembled air10 machines, the motor is the same.

I can confirm that the A10 motor windings do sit in the blower airstream.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
puglady
if you are still looking at acquiring S8's check out American Sleep Apnea Association CPAP Assistance Program.
I believe they are shipping ResMed S8 Elite II with hose and mask for $100 donations and your Rx.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 10:53 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: A couple things, first as said above, I would think the 10 would perform exactly the same if set correctly.

Second, I STRONGLY suggest you have any unit you buy on EBay sterilized/sanitized before attempting to use it, a "bad odor" is indicative of more than just a bad smell, and even if there was no odor you could be risking your health. Look at the vendors list and check out their services - most offer sanitized used units.

Nobody actually sanitizes used CPAP machines. They may sanitize the humidifier tank, but all they do on the blower unit is clean and wipe down the outside.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 08:36 AM)puglady Wrote: I love my resmed 8. Really, really love it. But now I have a Airsense 10. I have tried everything but I can't breathe through it.

You haven't tried everything. You haven't told us what AirSense 10 model you have and you haven't told us what your pressure settings are.

It says your model name on the lower right corner of the front side. AirSense 10 and then maybe something like "Elite" or "AutoSet."

We also need to see what your pressure settings are. There are a couple of settings for ramp and some pressure settings. We need to know what they are.

We also need to know what S8 model you had.

(04-27-2016, 05:26 PM)puglady Wrote: My therapist thinks I'm nuts as she claims all her patients have no problems. (which we all know is impossible) I will keep trying the resmed10. She swapped out my old machine for a new one today. Wish me luck.

You're probably talking about your DME, who may or may not be a "therapist." Many DME's are basically useless in terms of managing your therapy. You're lucky if they set the machine up correctly, much less that they fix any problems. You need to learn to fix things yourself.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

I can tell you what's probably wrong. Your CPAP pressure is too low at the start. Either the DME has turned on a "Ramp" function and you're starting with a low pressure, or you have an AutoSet machine and they have set it up to start at too low a pressure, relying on the "auto" function to find the "right" pressure.

Either of these settings will cause your machine to start with a low pressure when you first turn it on, and only go to the actual pressure you need later.

DME's and many therapists and doctors have this stupid idea that low pressure is more comfortable. Unfortunately, at a low pressure, you rebreathe more of your own exhaled air and it may feel like you're suffocating. The machine needs to start at a high enough pressure that you can breathe clean air.

It's also possible that the pressure is simply set wrong.

I don't have an S8 or AirSense 10, but they usually have something on the display that shows you the pressure it's blowing when you start. Try your S8 and your A10 machine and look for some sort of number on the display when you start.

I think on the A10, it will show the current pressure inside a little circle. Tell us what it shows on the screen when you first start the machine. It probably says pressure and then some numbers, and then has another number within a circle. If the light goes out, press the home button or the knob to turn the light back on. Take a picture and post it if need be.

Get the setup manual for your machine from the "CPAP Setup Manuals" link at the top of this page and figure out how to read the settings on your machine. Or get the free SleepyHead software and use it to read your SD card. It will tell you what your settings are on your A10 machine. SleepyHead is a really great thing to have, even if you're not having problems.

Try turning the ramp off, if it's used. You can probably turn it off in the menu you access through the knob on the front.

Your DME or other members of the medical mafia may not like you messing with your own settings or learning about your machine. They might even tell you it's illegal to change your settings or look at your data. Corrupt organizations are very sensitive about their turf.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bipap purchased in another country Lflowermoon 2 371 07-14-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  new product---has anyone else purchased a "Healthy Hose" snorin2 10 1,133 08-24-2022, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Who has recently purchased an Uninteruptable Power Supply for their CPAP? DeeKaa 9 1,050 07-02-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Purchased Machine Online - Dr. wants access to ResMed data via server xhwmikey 2 805 12-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: xhwmikey
  What I've learned (tips for a new user) chrisiscitrus 1 853 11-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  How to qualify for medicare- what I have learned eajeff 14 2,145 02-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: eajeff
  What is learned in a 'nap study"? oldfart59 11 2,268 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: oldfart59

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.