Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beard [and fixing leaks]
Beard [and fixing leaks]
I have a small beard.  Individual whiskers are maybe 1/4 inch long.  When I put the machine into adjusting the mask, I can't get a smiley face, but I can't tell where the leak is.  If you have a beard, how do you deal with it?  Thanks!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beard
I think the first question i would ask - is the FFM totally necessary?

As a full bearded guy myself, i have had the most luck with nasal gel pillows, but admittedly have been pretty lucky with generally minimal mouth breathing. I tried a FFM, but with my beard, it felt pretty much impossible.

In terms of getting a better seal, mask liners made for that mask my help get a better seal; have you tried anything of that nature?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you - I have a pillow mask coming Friday.  Looking at some older posts, it seems others are using Amara View.  I am a mouth breather so I am a little worried about the pillow mask.  I have a deviated septum and all kinds of nasal congestion, but I will try it.  I also have some cream coming tomorrow which perhaps added to my current mask might work.  I dunno but I'll try about anything!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Larry,
Have you tried the F20 in addition to the P20 that you are using? Like you I am a mouth breather but had trained myself to breathe through the nose. For several years I used nasal pillow masks and it worked at low (12 cm) pressures. At the high pressures that I need I found that my mouth would invariable open a little bit to cause leaks. Finally I gave up on nasal pillows and started using the P20 FFM. It was great for a couple of weeks and then started leaking. I found that the foam in the P20, a comfort feature, would have creases (not very visible) that caused leaks. I switched to the F20 and have been happily using it with minimal leaks for the last 2 months. I had some success with the F & P simplus but not much success with the PR Amara.
Post Reply Post Reply
Larry, "Nasal Congestion" is my middle name but I find I never have trouble breathing with my nasal pillows. I actually think it helps keep my nose clear throughout the night.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
PS: I also have a beard but no problem with F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula,
Your pressures are not high enough to cause leaks with a nasal pillow. I found the nasal pillow very good even with a slight congestion. It tended to clear my nose. However, both Larry and I use the ASV machine that produces very high pressures very quickly. This is what killed it for me even though I used tape for blocking my mouth and a chin strap to try to hold it closed. Each case is different depending on the shape of our heads.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right, I was only responding to Larry's concern about nasal congestion with the P10 rather than leaks.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I have to find out what an F20 is.  Apparently I have a P20.  Please excuse me folks, I've had a stroke which has affected my head.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I have both the P20 and the F20.  One has a silicone cushion and one has a foam pad.  The one I am currently using has the foam pad.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 162 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 240 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.