Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Been on CPAP for a couple of years and still struggling to keep the mask on
Been on CPAP for a couple of years and still struggling to keep the mask on
Hi All

I have been on CPAP for a couple of years or so. It has certainly helped but have struggled to keep my mask on throughout the night and I am still tired by the afternoon. Consistency for me has been a problem. The last night was a bit weird, for the first time I woke up to find myself struggling with the machine. Most nights I yank the mask off but last night i ended up adjusting the mask and falling back asleep. There were two or three occasions where I felt the machine was not keeping up with my breathing or it felt like it was out of sync and I ended taking some deep breaths before falling back to sleep. Not sure if this was due to the machine, panic attack or something else. Heres's the chart. Any one able to tell me what the problem was. Any help would be appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Been on CPAP for a couple of years and still struggling to keep the mask on
mw1655,
Your minimum pressure is fairly low and may be causing you to feel "air starved", which in turn may cause you to pull your mask off. Of course, there could be other reasons for pulling a mask off and that could be simply a bad fit for you. Have you tried other masks?

Take some time to read the Mask Primer for some tips.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Most important is your statement that you felt the machine was not keeping up with your breathing is a common problem when using the Flex feature set at 3. I suggest that you turn it down to Flex 1 or Flex 2, and set your minimum pressure to 6cm.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
4 was too low for me as the machine returns to that low pressure when things are going well. I raised the lower limit and have very seldom had any problems. As I change I adjust things to help with comfort.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks both. One change at a time I guess
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 17 497 4 hours ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 223 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 116 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 88 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 301 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 139 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Incorrectly on ASV for several years rickresmed 2 126 04-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.