Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6 to 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Befuddled new user
So if I breathe through my mouth, the ResMed S9 will interpret that as a mask leak?
01-20-2013 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

(01-20-2013 10:35 AM)cyborg Wrote:  So if I breathe through my mouth, the ResMed S9 will interpret that as a mask leak?

Not while using a full face or total face mask because they cover your mouth and keep the air pressure from escaping through the mouth, but when using nasal pillows or a nasal mask you have to find a way to make sure your mouth stays shut and pressure does not escape through it. If using nasal pillows or nasal mask and pressure escapes through mouth the S9 will interpret that as a leak because it is one and can compromise therapy. Mouth breathing is the reason people like me use a full face mask - I just can't seem to keep it shut, so I use a full face mask and can mouth breath all I want. Most people who don't mouth breath or can keep it from happening with a chin strap opt for nasal pillows or nasal mask because they are less bulky and generally more comfortable and easier to keep a good seal to your airway with.
01-20-2013 11:01 AM
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Not to try to speak for Paula, but when she asked if you had tried a chin strap I think she was seeing if you had tried to use a chin strap to get nasal pillows or a nasal mask to work for you because of your beard. I can't really think of any good reason to use a chin strap with a full face mask.
01-20-2013 11:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
cyborg Offline

Members

Other Comments:

I used a nasal mask for my titration (at the Sleep Center) and it worked well. When I tried one at home, I kept breathing through my mouth. My allergies are worse at home due to the feline that lives with me. My nose is stuffed up often enough that I don't think a nasal mask would be successful for me.
01-20-2013 12:27 PM
SPOUSE Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Being a feline supporter, I would suggest that you use the hypoallergenic filters for your ResMed machine to see if that helps. We have four cats and I think that may help although we have only 52 days of use so far.

(01-20-2013 12:27 PM)cyborg Wrote:  I used a nasal mask for my titration (at the Sleep Center) and it worked well. When I tried one at home, I kept breathing through my mouth. My allergies are worse at home due to the feline that lives with me. My nose is stuffed up often enough that I don't think a nasal mask would be successful for me.
01-20-2013 02:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cyborg Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(01-20-2013 02:53 PM)SPOUSE Wrote:  Being a feline supporter, I would suggest that you use the hypoallergenic filters for your ResMed machine to see if that helps. We have four cats and I think that may help although we have only 52 days of use so far.

Ill give that a try, thanks for the suggestion.
01-20-2013 03:15 PM
genes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respronics Auto Cpap
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Respronics
CPAP Pressure: 17 -20
CPAP Software: EncorePro

Other Comments:

I find the mask fit to be an exercise in futility. My machine is about 6" lower than my bed. To see the Mask Fit display I have to lean over, which means my mask is now hanging from my face, instead of resting on my face with gravity doing some of the work.

If your mask hangs off your face when you lean over it is not on tight enough. Try adjusting the straps more snug so that the mask does not hang off your face and tight enough to control your leaks. Over tighting can cause leaks also. CPAP does not work when you breath thru your mouth with a nasal mask but it is ok with a full face mask.
GeneS
01-20-2013 09:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-20-2013 11:13 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote:  Not to try to speak for Paula, but when she asked if you had tried a chin strap I think she was seeing if you had tried to use a chin strap to get nasal pillows or a nasal mask to work for you because of your beard. I can't really think of any good reason to use a chin strap with a full face mask.

Yes, that is what I meant.

As for the person with allergies, the CPAP and mask should help keep the airway clear as you sleep as long as the stoppage is due to phlegm and not just swelling alone. During allergy season, I love to sleep! I wake feeling rested and clear. Until about a minute later when everything closes back up again. As an alternative, check out some of the hybrid masks which use nasal pillows vs nasal mask for the fit over the noise then come down and cover the mouth as well.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-20-2013 11:33 PM
cyborg Offline

Members

Other Comments:

Ok, last night I used a nasal mask for the first time. When I did a leak test, it was great. I also used a chin strap for the first time. I felt like I slept better than I have for several nights. I also have a HEPA filter on my hose. After all of this, my charts look the same as they have in the past. My leaks are just as bad as the first chart that I posted. Now I'm discouraged along with being befuddled.
01-25-2013 01:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Make sure you have the setting on the machine for the type of mask you are using.

Put on the mask and turn on the machine. Listen for any kind of hiss (air escaping). Run your hand lightly over the entire hose, feeling for leaks. Check the hose on the mask, too. Check all connections.

If none are found, lay down in bed. Lay like you usually do with the hose where it always is. Now roll over. Roll over again. Don't mess with anything, just move around like you would if you were asleep. What you are looking for are ways the mask is moving off. Do this for quite some time (half hour or so).

Now, turn off the machine and look at the data. If you did not find any leaks but the machine is still reporting them, then something is up. In ResScan, there's a red line down the graph for leaks. You want it to stay below that line. (I think I said this already? I got the memory of a goldfish)

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-25-2013 05:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 98 Yesterday 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 9 497 12-06-2016 08:00 PM
Last Post: SnoreGalore
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,302 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  New User! SKClay 3 268 11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 236 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Advice needed for struggling CPAP user Fubblin 35 1,980 11-18-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 653 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus