Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Befuddled new user
RE: Befuddled new user
(02-01-2013, 11:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My mother gets it every year. And every year she still gets the flu, still gets sick, still coughs and sneezes and is miserable. But she says "Imagine (cough) how sick I'd be (sneeze) without that shot!"

Yeah. Okay.

Yeah, OKAY.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, I guess that was the time when my family experienced issues. My older brother got it at the health department and immediately passed out. They thought it was the needle but Mom knew better. He was rushed to the hospital and spent several days recovering. My aunt (mom's sister) had it a few weeks later and was in the ICU for two weeks while she recovered.

So, like you, it makes me twitch. Sure, they've improved it since then but I'm not that lucky to want to push it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2013, 02:27 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I was a college student in 1976 when the swine flu killed or seriously injured hundreds of Americans as a result of an inoculation the government gave them to stave off the virus.

No it didn't. Typical news media fear mongering.

40 million Americans got the 1976 swine flu shot. There were a number of people who got the shot who developed Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS.) Panic ensued.

After the fact, someone actually studied the numbers, and people who got the shot didn't necessarily get GBS any more often than the normal rate of GBS. The news media didn't bother to report that and still repeat the lies and misinformation about the swine flu fiasco.

There may have been about 500 cases of GBS and 25 GBS deaths among the 40,000,000 Americans who got the vaccine, which probably had nothing to do with the shot. Flu kills around 40,000 Americans per year.

The 1918 swine flu pandemic killed 1-3% of the population of the entire world. That would be 3-9 million deaths in the US alone. Other than vaccines, we don't have much better ways to fight the flu than they did in 1918. We may be actually be worse because of worldwide travel, and the fact that we aren't used to quarantines any more.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess it was all part of the post-Watergate paranoia. Hmmm... Maybe it's time to move on ...
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2013, 11:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My mother gets it every year. And every year she still gets the flu, still gets sick, still coughs and sneezes and is miserable.

I guess you already know this PaulaO2 but in case another reader doesn't, the 'Flu' vaccination only stops one getting one of the included strains of influenza. It will not stop someone getting a common cold.

My work provides annual FluVax to reduce the chance of an epidemic shutting the place down. (I work for an Aviation Safety organisation).

I haven't had influenza for the 10 years - although I still manage to get at least one common cold per year.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2013, 11:54 PM)Moriarty Wrote: I guess you already know this PaulaO2 but in case another reader doesn't, the 'Flu' vaccination only stops one getting one of the included strains of influenza. It will not stop someone getting a common cold.

My work provides annual FluVax to reduce the chance of an epidemic shutting the place down. (I work for an Aviation Safety organisation).

I haven't had influenza for the 10 years - although I still manage to get at least one common cold per year.

The "standard" vaccine is almost always a mix of 3 or so different flu strain vaccinations.

I've gotten the flu vaccine almost every year for many years. I usually get something during the year, but I suspect it's usually a cold, not the flu. They say flu usually gives you headache and fever, but I almost never get those when I have my yearly "flu." I probably only get a fever every 7 years or so.

Flu vs. cold symptoms here.

I guess I feel wimpy complaining about having a cold. You get so much more sympathy if you say you have the flu. I usually claim to have the flu, but I guess I should really stop claiming that if I don't have a fever or headache.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.