Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Befuddled new user
Befuddled new user
I've been using a CPAP for 15 days now. I have 30 days to try different masks before I'm stuck with the one I have. So I'm using both Sleepyhead and ResScan, but I might as well be looking at Egyptian hieroglyphics. What should I be looking at to decide if my mask is working correctly? I have also tried 6 other masks, but I keep coming back to the Mirage Quattro.

I can post info, but I have no idea what is relevant. Thanks.

As a side note, I have changed my forum display options to 50 threads, and that's what shows when I go to the user CP, but I'm not getting 50 threads when viewing long threads. Is this broken?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Befuddled new user
Hi cyborg and
Welcome

There is a lot to say about all of the data available on your AutoSet, but I'll just stick to what's pertinent to helping choose a mask.

First thing first, leaks are going to be the biggest issue, the fewer leaks the better and you need to be able to maintain the leak rate below 24L/min. for the machine to provide proper therapy.

Aside from data though, your comfort is going to be the biggest concern when choosing a mask.

Find the most comfortable mask that minimizes leaks and then you'll be all set and ready to start tracking and analyzing all the other data.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 01:05 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: First thing first, leaks are going to be the biggest issue, the fewer leaks the better and you need to be able to maintain the leak rate below 24L/min. for the machine to provide proper therapy.

It looks like my total average is 45.77, with my latest being 49.57. I assume these are in leaks/minute. Should I be looking at a different mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cyborg and WELCOME! to the forum.!
What jgjones1972 said.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What does the graph show you? If you are turning the pressure on before you put your mask on (without using the "Mask Fit" feature) or taking it off before you turn the pressure off or even just lifting the mask to scratch your nose while the pressure is still on, this will throw your averages way off. Look at the graph on ResScan, there should be a red line at the 24/Liters per Minute level. Is there a substantial amount of time the leaks stay above that red line, or are there just spikes that go way above it whenever you are adjusting the mask or have it removed?
Post Reply Post Reply
ResScan has a red line along the graph for leaks. How often and for how long does the graph go above this red line?

Also make sure that the machine knows what kind of mask you are using. I think that is accessible via the home menu settings.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=343]Here is a photo of ResScan, since I'm a new user I can't post a link to Photobucket. My machine is set for a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, you have a leak problem. Your other data (AHI, etc) will be skewed because of them.

Did you check to see if your machine was set to Full Face Mask?

Have you tried the Mask Fit?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is interesting to me. I use the Quattro FX and the mask has a little graph printed in the manual.
It shows that at 16 cm pressure the mask *vents off* 48 LPM.
That is the calibrated exhaust flow rate assuming a perfect seal is in effect.
Am I getting good therapy though? Yup.
Because I am using a separate handheld manometer and the pressure is holding.
The oximeter log I run also verifies this too.
So..it makes me wonder what's going on at ResMed, they make it sound like the machine can't handle more than 24 LPM and according to this ResScan graph my mask exhaust flow rate well exceeds the red line value. Even if I backed the pressure down to 12cm the mask will still vent at 40LPM+.
Just what are they trying to tell us here?

call me befuddled too.

=o.O=

Crazy
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 08:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yeah, you have a leak problem. Your other data (AHI, etc) will be skewed because of them.

Did you check to see if your machine was set to Full Face Mask?

Have you tried the Mask Fit?
Machine is set to Full Face Mask.

I find the mask fit to be an exercise in futility. My machine is about 6" lower than my bed. To see the Mask Fit display I have to lean over, which means my mask is now hanging from my face, instead of resting on my face with gravity doing some of the work.

I also have a full beard and I use the Remzzzs pads, or ones that I've made.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,110 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,159 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.