Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Befuddled new user
RE: Befuddled new user
So if I breathe through my mouth, the ResMed S9 will interpret that as a mask leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 10:35 AM)cyborg Wrote: So if I breathe through my mouth, the ResMed S9 will interpret that as a mask leak?

Not while using a full face or total face mask because they cover your mouth and keep the air pressure from escaping through the mouth, but when using nasal pillows or a nasal mask you have to find a way to make sure your mouth stays shut and pressure does not escape through it. If using nasal pillows or nasal mask and pressure escapes through mouth the S9 will interpret that as a leak because it is one and can compromise therapy. Mouth breathing is the reason people like me use a full face mask - I just can't seem to keep it shut, so I use a full face mask and can mouth breath all I want. Most people who don't mouth breath or can keep it from happening with a chin strap opt for nasal pillows or nasal mask because they are less bulky and generally more comfortable and easier to keep a good seal to your airway with.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not to try to speak for Paula, but when she asked if you had tried a chin strap I think she was seeing if you had tried to use a chin strap to get nasal pillows or a nasal mask to work for you because of your beard. I can't really think of any good reason to use a chin strap with a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a nasal mask for my titration (at the Sleep Center) and it worked well. When I tried one at home, I kept breathing through my mouth. My allergies are worse at home due to the feline that lives with me. My nose is stuffed up often enough that I don't think a nasal mask would be successful for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being a feline supporter, I would suggest that you use the hypoallergenic filters for your ResMed machine to see if that helps. We have four cats and I think that may help although we have only 52 days of use so far.

(01-20-2013, 12:27 PM)cyborg Wrote: I used a nasal mask for my titration (at the Sleep Center) and it worked well. When I tried one at home, I kept breathing through my mouth. My allergies are worse at home due to the feline that lives with me. My nose is stuffed up often enough that I don't think a nasal mask would be successful for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 02:53 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Being a feline supporter, I would suggest that you use the hypoallergenic filters for your ResMed machine to see if that helps. We have four cats and I think that may help although we have only 52 days of use so far.

Ill give that a try, thanks for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply

I find the mask fit to be an exercise in futility. My machine is about 6" lower than my bed. To see the Mask Fit display I have to lean over, which means my mask is now hanging from my face, instead of resting on my face with gravity doing some of the work.

If your mask hangs off your face when you lean over it is not on tight enough. Try adjusting the straps more snug so that the mask does not hang off your face and tight enough to control your leaks. Over tighting can cause leaks also. CPAP does not work when you breath thru your mouth with a nasal mask but it is ok with a full face mask.
GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 11:13 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Not to try to speak for Paula, but when she asked if you had tried a chin strap I think she was seeing if you had tried to use a chin strap to get nasal pillows or a nasal mask to work for you because of your beard. I can't really think of any good reason to use a chin strap with a full face mask.

Yes, that is what I meant.

As for the person with allergies, the CPAP and mask should help keep the airway clear as you sleep as long as the stoppage is due to phlegm and not just swelling alone. During allergy season, I love to sleep! I wake feeling rested and clear. Until about a minute later when everything closes back up again. As an alternative, check out some of the hybrid masks which use nasal pillows vs nasal mask for the fit over the noise then come down and cover the mouth as well.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, last night I used a nasal mask for the first time. When I did a leak test, it was great. I also used a chin strap for the first time. I felt like I slept better than I have for several nights. I also have a HEPA filter on my hose. After all of this, my charts look the same as they have in the past. My leaks are just as bad as the first chart that I posted. Now I'm discouraged along with being befuddled.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure you have the setting on the machine for the type of mask you are using.

Put on the mask and turn on the machine. Listen for any kind of hiss (air escaping). Run your hand lightly over the entire hose, feeling for leaks. Check the hose on the mask, too. Check all connections.

If none are found, lay down in bed. Lay like you usually do with the hose where it always is. Now roll over. Roll over again. Don't mess with anything, just move around like you would if you were asleep. What you are looking for are ways the mask is moving off. Do this for quite some time (half hour or so).

Now, turn off the machine and look at the data. If you did not find any leaks but the machine is still reporting them, then something is up. In ResScan, there's a red line down the graph for leaks. You want it to stay below that line. (I think I said this already? I got the memory of a goldfish)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,152 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.