Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Befuddled new user
RE: Befuddled new user
Thanks Paula, I have been wondering if my machine is recording correctly. I will give what you said a try and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 12:06 AM)JJJ Wrote: Now I have an S9 Autoset APAP. When I look at the data in SleepyHead I see just one leak line. I thought that this line included 30 L for the intentional leak, so my unintentional leak was the total less 30 L.

I'm not a ResMed user but my understanding is that these machines don't report the actual leak rate. They secretly calculate the unintentional leak rate based on the type of mask you've dialed in and keep the total leak rate a mystery.

This is about the only shortcoming these ResMed machines have compared to PRS1 machines. Well, that and the price.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 08:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yeah, you have a leak problem. Your other data (AHI, etc) will be skewed because of them.

Did you check to see if your machine was set to Full Face Mask?

Have you tried the Mask Fit?

Hi Paula
how do you use maskfit?I had no idea mine has one
Kayla
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no clue. I've never used it.

It is discussed in the manual. Page 14.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I check my data today using the ResMed software, and my leaks for the 3 nights that I've been using the new nasal mask are all below 24. I was either getting bad data from Sleepyheads, or I was reading it or the day wrong.

Mask fit info is on page 7 of my S9 manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2013, 01:48 PM)cyborg Wrote: I also have a HEPA filter on my hose.

Do you mean one of those filters that fits between the humidifier and the hose?

Why do you want to have one of those? Those are for clinics where the same machine is used for multiple patients.

Those are meant to be used for one night only. If you use them more than that, they're sitting wet all day long and are a great place for bacteria and mold to grow.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2013, 07:57 AM)archangle Wrote: Do you mean one of those filters that fits between the humidifier and the hose?

Why do you want to have one of those? Those are for clinics where the same machine is used for multiple patients.

Those are meant to be used for one night only. If you use them more than that, they're sitting wet all day long and are a great place for bacteria and mold to grow.
Yes, that is what I'm using. I take it off of the hose every day and let it air out. One of my problems is being allergic to cats, and I have a cat. I'm trying to do everything that I can to sleep better. Do you have a better solution?

Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead reports leaks differently than ResScan but you can set it to be the same.

Go to File > Preferences > CPAP. In the "Leak Mode", set it to "Unintentional Leaks".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2013, 11:15 AM)cyborg Wrote: I take it off of the hose every day and let it air out. One of my problems is being allergic to cats, and I have a cat. I'm trying to do everything that I can to sleep better. Do you have a better solution?

Just make sure your regular filter is kept clean and changed on schedule.

And, well, is there any way you could become a dog person? Sad
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2013, 11:15 AM)cyborg Wrote: Yes, that is what I'm using. I take it off of the hose every day and let it air out. One of my problems is being allergic to cats, and I have a cat. I'm trying to do everything that I can to sleep better. Do you have a better solution?

I would expect that using the ResMed hypoallergenic filter on the back of the CPAP would work fine. Be sure it's inserted properly and change occasionally.

Even with daily drying, I'd be concerned about mold or something growing on the hose filter because it is wet a lot of the time and it's not designed for long term use.

Keeping the area around the back of the machine where the machine pulls air in clean is probably a good idea to. Maybe blow the dust away every day, and do whatever you can to keep dust away from there.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,129 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,215 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.