Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Befuddled new user
RE: Befuddled new user
(01-28-2013, 09:44 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Just make sure your regular filter is kept clean and changed on schedule.

And, well, is there any way you could become a dog person? Sad

I have 1 cat, 14 years old, and 2 dogs, 3.5 and 4.5 years old. I'm getting allergy shots that are suppose to help with the cat.

I slept without the filter last night and didn't notice any difference. I find that irrigating my nose, followed by AstePro and NasaCort nose spray, and occasional use of an Olba inhaler help to keep my nose working well enough to use a nasal mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
My brother is severely allergic to cats but loves them much more than dogs. After doing some research, he recently got two Norwegian Forest Cats. He spent time at the breeder's house surrounded by about six cats. He had no problem! The cats have lived with them for nearly a year now I guess and he's still doing fine.

My theory is that the more time he spends with them, the less he will react to other cats. He stayed here nearly all day a few weeks ago and one of our cats got up on his lap. He got a little congested later but washed his hands before he touched his nose and eyes. Before, he would have been sneezing his head off, his eyes would have swelled shut, and he would have had to use his inhaler.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 12:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My theory is that the more time he spends with them, the less he will react to other cats.

I'm an example of how this theory works. I was insanely allergic to cats, but my wife brought home a stray kitten one day (about 10 or so years ago, I think). She fell in love with it. I was like... uh, yeah, don't you remember I'm allergic??

But, I struggled through with the cat living in our house, and after a few weeks, the symptoms subsided to a tolerable level. We had the cat for maybe 3-4 years. After that first month or two (which was miserable at first), something happened to my body and I no longer had an allergic reaction.

Also, I had similar allergies in the springtime when all the pollen came out. Someone recommended taking daily doses of locally-produced natural honey. I did that for quite a while and now have no pollen reactions at all. By body seems to have developed tolerance for the allergens.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Smile

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 01:20 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Also, I had similar allergies in the springtime when all the pollen came out. Someone recommended taking daily doses of locally-produced natural honey. I did that for quite a while and now have no pollen reactions at all. By body seems to have developed tolerance for the allergens.

That's the theory behind allergy injections. You expose your body to small but steady amounts of the allergen until you build up a natural immunity.

Antihistimines are still recommended to treat the symptoms, but the overall best way to avoid allergic reactions is to stay away from the allergens.

My main allergy is dust mites. CPAP therapy is wonderful at avoiding this particular allergen as it's concentrated in your bedding. Instead of breathing in air all night that's passing directly over the bedding I'm breathing in my own special supply of filtered humidified air that passes through a hose, avoiding any contact with the bedding.

Sleep-well

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's why I won't ever get a flu shot. I'd rather my body fought it off on it's own.

And yes, the CPAP has helped immensely with my seasonal allergies! I considered getting a special filter but decided it was doing good enough.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 03:03 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That's why I won't ever get a flu shot. I'd rather my body fought it off on it's own.

<OT>
My doc said "you're healthy and you'd undoubtedly survive it, but who wants to get sick?" In my case I spend several hours a day in a classroom with 90 other random humans, where the ventilation system basically just recirculates the same air. I always get my flu shot as soon as its available.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, I'm so with you, I'd rather my body fight the flu on it's own, too.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My mother gets it every year. And every year she still gets the flu, still gets sick, still coughs and sneezes and is miserable. But she says "Imagine (cough) how sick I'd be (sneeze) without that shot!"

Yeah. Okay.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2013, 10:53 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(01-29-2013, 03:03 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That's why I won't ever get a flu shot. I'd rather my body fought it off on it's own.

<OT>
My doc said "you're healthy and you'd undoubtedly survive it, but who wants to get sick?" In my case I spend several hours a day in a classroom with 90 other random humans, where the ventilation system basically just recirculates the same air. I always get my flu shot as soon as its available.

My health went down the flusher after I got my H1N1 shot. The experts deny that it has anything to do with my chronic dizziness that started shortly afterwards. Still, I can never be sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was a college student in 1976 when the swine flu killed or seriously injured hundreds of Americans as a result of an inoculation the government gave them to stave off the virus.

I've never had a flu shot in my life because of that experience.

I think it's time I changed my ways. Over a third of a century has gone by since then and things have changed. Maybe I'll get a flu shot next year.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,111 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,162 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.