Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 7 cm H20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Beginner needs help ... please
Hi. I'm new to this whole apnea business. I had to do a sleep study in order to have bariatric surgery and not I have my script from my doctor but need help in picking out a machine - and I'm totally, totally confused. Scrip says: CPAP unit with heated humidification and compliance card; ramp per patient preference; instruction is CPAP: 7cm H2O; heated humidification; ramp; compliance.
Insurance is going to cost me $650 which I can't afford right now.
For starters, I believe my cpap will be set at 7. Does this mean I cannot buy an auto machine? I was looking at a used S9 Escape auto and don't know if that fits my needs.
Second question, I was told that not all machines that come with a compliance card (SD card, right) will monitor all the information that's necessary for me to submit to the doctor. I "assumed" that if it had a compliance card, it would have all info the dr needs, no?
Thank you in advance,
richdan
07-20-2015 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OMyMyOHellYes Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Beginner needs help ... please
Compliance card has all the information your doctor is asking. This amounts to telling them what percentage of nights (70%) in a given period you used the machine at least 4 hours. That's it. That is what the S-9 Escape will do. Insurance doesn't care how effective your treatment is, just that you are using it. Many doctors feel the same way.

It is not what most folks would call a "data capable machine" or a machine that will give you detailed data on apenic events, duration, pressures, leaks, etc. To get that data in the s-9 line, you would need an S-9 Elite or an S-9 Autoset. Your script does not require an auto machine, but it does not exclude one either. An auto machine could be obtained and set to straight CPAP mode - which is what I would push for - or call the doctor back and see if they will write the script that way.

OMMOHY
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 11:39 AM by OMyMyOHellYes.)
07-20-2015 11:38 AM
richdan Offline

Members

Machine: unsure

Other Comments:

Thank you. Do you think this machine would work? remstar pro c flex 1005961? Someone local is selling it, just need to get hoses. Any idea what a machine like this would be worth offering?
07-20-2015 11:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

The Remstar Pro Cflex 1005961 is a legacy machine that does not produce useful therapy data. It is an old, old CPAP machine and might be worth $50 on the open market for someone that is desperate. Take a look at our supplier list at the top of the forum. Supplier #2 sells reconditioned "gently used" machines. The prices they post should represent top-dollar "blue book retail" for any given used machine. If you're buying on Craigslist, you should be paying private party or wholesale. The copay you suggest in your first post would buy you a complete PRS1 DS560 Auto from Supplier #1 at their listed price. So, your insured cost is not a great deal.

The machines that would work best for you are the Philips System 1 50 or 60 series, DS550 or DS560 (Auto), DS460/550 (CPAP), Resmed S9 Elite (CPAP) or Autoset (auto) or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Elite.

Do not buy old legacy machines, M-Series or S8 series. FWIW I live in Pittsburgh, PA and see a listing for a S9 Autoset at an extremely good price right now. Wish you well, and good luck!

07-20-2015 01:19 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi richdan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link to lots of information on which machines to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
07-20-2015 01:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jaypeebee63 Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Oracle 452
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: 4-15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(07-20-2015 11:52 AM)richdan Wrote:  Thank you. Do you think this machine would work? remstar pro c flex 1005961? Someone local is selling it, just need to get hoses. Any idea what a machine like this would be worth offering?

I use the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, and am getting along real well with it. Fortunately, insurance picked up the tab for most of the cost, plus the center I got it from are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. My basic prescription calls for a pressure of 4-15; I've tried constant settings in the middle of the range, but it just doesn't work, for me anyway. AutoSet is the way to go. I also use the Oracle 452 mask, after some unhappy experiences with other mask types. That's a story for another day lol. Good luck Big Grin
07-20-2015 02:23 PM
richdan Offline

Members

Other Comments:

Thanks for the input. I was trying to find more info on this machine, if anyone can help: It's the Remstar Pro 2, not the one I said up above. Is that considered a legacy machine too? I'm just trying to find local options - would definitely purchase that S9 if I was closer. Unfortunately, doesn't appear to be any good cpaps near me for a decent price. Your answers are much appreciated. I don't think I'm going to get the hang of this!!
07-23-2015 06:14 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(07-23-2015 06:14 AM)richdan Wrote:  Thanks for the input. I was trying to find more info on this machine, if anyone can help: It's the Remstar Pro 2, not the one I said up above. Is that considered a legacy machine too? I'm just trying to find local options - would definitely purchase that S9 if I was closer. Unfortunately, doesn't appear to be any good cpaps near me for a decent price. Your answers are much appreciated. I don't think I'm going to get the hang of this!!

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 06:24 AM by me50.)
07-23-2015 06:23 AM
richdan Offline

Members

Other Comments:

m50, I'm not finding anything on that link for the Remstar Pro 2. Does it have a different name??
07-23-2015 06:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
3porpoise Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: epap 5 PS 3-8
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: the world hasn't always been flat

Sex: Undisclosed
(07-23-2015 06:35 AM)richdan Wrote:  m50, I'm not finding anything on that link for the Remstar Pro 2. Does it have a different name??

Hi richdan ,welcome,
That particular model is no longer available= legacy. If it's not on the list its either not current or not fully data capable, to my understanding. Thought I'd pipe in til one of the board member sleuths comes along.
Good luck.
07-23-2015 08:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginner Hornnumb2 12 2,107 11-09-2014 12:23 PM
Last Post: PaytonA