Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beginner needs help ... please
Beginner needs help ... please
Hi. I'm new to this whole apnea business. I had to do a sleep study in order to have bariatric surgery and not I have my script from my doctor but need help in picking out a machine - and I'm totally, totally confused. Scrip says: CPAP unit with heated humidification and compliance card; ramp per patient preference; instruction is CPAP: 7cm H2O; heated humidification; ramp; compliance.
Insurance is going to cost me $650 which I can't afford right now.
For starters, I believe my cpap will be set at 7. Does this mean I cannot buy an auto machine? I was looking at a used S9 Escape auto and don't know if that fits my needs.
Second question, I was told that not all machines that come with a compliance card (SD card, right) will monitor all the information that's necessary for me to submit to the doctor. I "assumed" that if it had a compliance card, it would have all info the dr needs, no?
Thank you in advance,
richdan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beginner needs help ... please
Compliance card has all the information your doctor is asking. This amounts to telling them what percentage of nights (70%) in a given period you used the machine at least 4 hours. That's it. That is what the S-9 Escape will do. Insurance doesn't care how effective your treatment is, just that you are using it. Many doctors feel the same way.

It is not what most folks would call a "data capable machine" or a machine that will give you detailed data on apenic events, duration, pressures, leaks, etc. To get that data in the s-9 line, you would need an S-9 Elite or an S-9 Autoset. Your script does not require an auto machine, but it does not exclude one either. An auto machine could be obtained and set to straight CPAP mode - which is what I would push for - or call the doctor back and see if they will write the script that way.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Do you think this machine would work? remstar pro c flex 1005961? Someone local is selling it, just need to get hoses. Any idea what a machine like this would be worth offering?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Remstar Pro Cflex 1005961 is a legacy machine that does not produce useful therapy data. It is an old, old CPAP machine and might be worth $50 on the open market for someone that is desperate. Take a look at our supplier list at the top of the forum. Supplier #2 sells reconditioned "gently used" machines. The prices they post should represent top-dollar "blue book retail" for any given used machine. If you're buying on Craigslist, you should be paying private party or wholesale. The copay you suggest in your first post would buy you a complete PRS1 DS560 Auto from Supplier #1 at their listed price. So, your insured cost is not a great deal.

The machines that would work best for you are the Philips System 1 50 or 60 series, DS550 or DS560 (Auto), DS460/550 (CPAP), Resmed S9 Elite (CPAP) or Autoset (auto) or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Elite.

Do not buy old legacy machines, M-Series or S8 series. FWIW I live in Pittsburgh, PA and see a listing for a S9 Autoset at an extremely good price right now. Wish you well, and good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi richdan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link to lots of information on which machines to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 11:52 AM)richdan Wrote: Thank you. Do you think this machine would work? remstar pro c flex 1005961? Someone local is selling it, just need to get hoses. Any idea what a machine like this would be worth offering?

I use the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, and am getting along real well with it. Fortunately, insurance picked up the tab for most of the cost, plus the center I got it from are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. My basic prescription calls for a pressure of 4-15; I've tried constant settings in the middle of the range, but it just doesn't work, for me anyway. AutoSet is the way to go. I also use the Oracle 452 mask, after some unhappy experiences with other mask types. That's a story for another day lol. Good luck Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input. I was trying to find more info on this machine, if anyone can help: It's the Remstar Pro 2, not the one I said up above. Is that considered a legacy machine too? I'm just trying to find local options - would definitely purchase that S9 if I was closer. Unfortunately, doesn't appear to be any good cpaps near me for a decent price. Your answers are much appreciated. I don't think I'm going to get the hang of this!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2015, 06:14 AM)richdan Wrote: Thanks for the input. I was trying to find more info on this machine, if anyone can help: It's the Remstar Pro 2, not the one I said up above. Is that considered a legacy machine too? I'm just trying to find local options - would definitely purchase that S9 if I was closer. Unfortunately, doesn't appear to be any good cpaps near me for a decent price. Your answers are much appreciated. I don't think I'm going to get the hang of this!!

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Post Reply Post Reply
m50, I'm not finding anything on that link for the Remstar Pro 2. Does it have a different name??
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2015, 06:35 AM)richdan Wrote: m50, I'm not finding anything on that link for the Remstar Pro 2. Does it have a different name??

Hi richdan ,welcome,
That particular model is no longer available= legacy. If it's not on the list its either not current or not fully data capable, to my understanding. Thought I'd pipe in til one of the board member sleuths comes along.
Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Another CPAP beginner seeking guidance. sebirez 31 2,262 08-28-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: sebirez
  Beginner in self treatment seeking advice sleepysloth 8 712 08-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question Beginner and newcomer introduces himself Phil the ... 3 469 04-14-2023, 07:05 AM
Last Post: stanleyjack
  Beginner here. Is it RERAs problem? acerlogic 0 465 04-07-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: acerlogic
  Am I getting the right cpap backup battery? Beginner here ttrani01 12 1,369 03-22-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: enjoysleep59
  Beginner at CPAP therapy with questions sleepy742 5 914 08-25-2022, 10:05 AM
Last Post: sunsaffron

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.