Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beginner
Beginner
I am about to do a sleep study and I am a little freaked out about it. I normally sleep on my side or front, which with a mask I can see that my side will be the only option. I have never been able to sleep on my back, I hope that is not a deal breaker. I talked to a friend that just had it done and she said she felt like she was drowning. Any suggestions before I do this, Kinda freaked me out enough to back out. Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beginner
Welcome to our happy camper world Horn,

Try not to freak out too much about your sleep test and upcoming therapy. I understand your trepidation, but really you're ready to experience better and healthier sleep than ever before. That's actually a good thing.

As to sleeping on your front? Yeah that could be difficult with most masks. But with a pillows mask you could probably still do it. Side sleeping is fine. I found that once I began therapy I could even sleep on my back, which I do about 1/2 the time now. That's a real treat.

Life will be well. Check in often and tell us how you are doing as you begin your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hornnumb2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know it's easier said than done, but try not to freak out about your sleep study, this will tell you if you have sleep apnea.
Sleeping on your side is ok and some hav managed to sleep on their stomachs with no trouble, I can do that if I use a pillows mask.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you start your journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
We all go through this, and you too will come out the other side. The big plus is if you do have OSA, life will get better by going through this process.

Try and do what you must so that you are very tired when you arrive. Nothing hurts, just lots of wires attached to your body so you have to be kind of careful rolling over. Be sure to take all your regular meds (if any) at their regular times the day of the test. Other than being really as sleepy as possible (skip sleep and stay up the night b4?), you want this to be the normal you.

While they will ask you to try to sleep on your back for a bit, the critical part is that you do actually sleep.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Relax and just do it. The sun will come out the next morning and all will be well. Its better than a trip to the dentist, for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best tip I can give is dont be shy. If it feels like your not getting enough air, say so. If pressure is to much again say so.

It really isnt much different than putting on one of those play scuba masks as a kid except with them you couldnt breathe through your nose. Youll be able to breath regardless. Relax and enjoy the ride.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2014, 12:19 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Welcome to our happy camper world Horn,

Try not to freak out too much about your sleep test and upcoming therapy. I understand your trepidation, but really you're ready to experience better and healthier sleep than ever before. That's actually a good thing.

As to sleeping on your front? Yeah that could be difficult with most masks. But with a pillows mask you could probably still do it. Side sleeping is fine. I found that once I began therapy I could even sleep on my back, which I do about 1/2 the time now. That's a real treat.

Life will be well. Check in often and tell us how you are doing as you begin your journey.

"Trepidation"???? Amazing CrazyBug-eyed

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Dat's wigt! we umm cern use dos big words if we lek dem up fist
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2014, 07:46 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(11-08-2014, 12:19 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Welcome to our happy camper world Horn,

"Trepidation"???? Amazing CrazyBug-eyed

Trepidation?? I thought that was a form of inebriation only at three times the legal limit HuhGrin
Post Reply Post Reply
My personal experience is it is an advantage to be a side sleeper over a "back" sleeper with CPAP therapy as is confirmed by the relevent AHI numbers!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Another CPAP beginner seeking guidance. sebirez 31 2,262 08-28-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: sebirez
  Beginner in self treatment seeking advice sleepysloth 8 712 08-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question Beginner and newcomer introduces himself Phil the ... 3 469 04-14-2023, 07:05 AM
Last Post: stanleyjack
  Beginner here. Is it RERAs problem? acerlogic 0 465 04-07-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: acerlogic
  Am I getting the right cpap backup battery? Beginner here ttrani01 12 1,369 03-22-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: enjoysleep59
  Beginner at CPAP therapy with questions sleepy742 5 914 08-25-2022, 10:05 AM
Last Post: sunsaffron

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.