Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beginning use with H5i humidifier
Beginning use with H5i humidifier
Ok, I'd like to start simple a step at a time so I want to begin by just using a standard hose. From what I can tell the only adjustment available in that setting is humidity level. Do I have that right?

I guess you just attach the H5i and it gives you the humidity level to set. Do I have to turn on humidifier in the menu or will that also automatically come on once it's attached?

Wondering how many levels there are and where would be a good place to start for a setting. From what I understand once you start one has to adjust up and down to see what works best for them as it differs from person to person.

The other thing is cleaning it. Eeeek! I always heard you clean it every day and yet I go to the forums and youtube and I even see sleep doctors who use a cpap say they clean it once ever 7 days and even 14 days.

The other thing I see is some empty it daily and some just top it.

Hmmmm, of course doing the least amount appeals to me the most.

Also, I am using the older water chamber that's not made to open to clean but it can be done and I've already done that.

Any suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beginning use with H5i humidifier
Quote:Ok, I'd like to start simple a step at a time so I want to begin by just using a standard hose.

Your call, but if you have the ClimateLine you might as well use it - it's no harder to use and IMHO gives superior results.

Quote:From what I can tell the only adjustment available in that setting is humidity level. Do I have that right?

Right. From memory it ranges from 1 to 5 (maybe it's 0 to 5) and you just dial in the number that feels most comfortable. Too low and you might experience dry mouth and/or congestion. Too high and you might get rainout, when water condenses in the hose and/or mask.

Quote:The other thing is cleaning it.

Everybody has an opinion on this. I use distilled water and top it up daily. Once a week I pull everything apart, wash it in hot soapy water, rinse in very hot water and let it air dry. Over three years I'm still on the original humidifier tank and hose with no indication of anything "nasty".
Post Reply Post Reply
Lanco,
Be sure to change the filters.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With both the humidifier and Climateline hose, you may have an option under Comfort for Humidity Auto or Manual. The manual settings deliver more moisture and cuts out the circuit that detects relative humidity. This lets you set the hose temperature manually, and in general you will use higher hose temperatures when humidity settings are high and room temperatures are cool, a lower hose settings as the humidity setting is lower, and room temperature increases. Since you have never had humidification before, the auto settings will deliver plenty of moisture, and should avoid any condensation issues. Also, get a fleece cover for the hose...it's the snake's pajamas. Makes it a lot nicer to sleep with.

Either way, I look forward to hearing your experience as you finally move to humidified therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the auto setting for the climateline hose the system maintains 80% relative humidity and you can adjust the tube temperature. The higher the tube temperature in auto mode the relative humidity is maintained at 80% but the absolute humidity (actual amount of water in the air) increases as the tube temperature increases. Resmed maintains that the patient is affected by the absolute humidity. So if you are running a climateline hose on auto at 83 degrees F and your nose dries out turning it up to 84 degrees may help or it may need more, ie 85 or 86 degrees F.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I see Resmed says not to put cold or hot water into the humidifier but rather use "tepid" distilled water. Come on. Really? I bet nobody does this do they?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2016, 05:56 PM)Lanco Wrote: I see Resmed says not to put cold or hot water into the humidifier but rather use "tepid" distilled water. Come on. Really? I bet nobody does this do they?

I suspect by "tepid" they mean room temperature - ie not from the fridge or the hot tap. In which case, yes a lot of people do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine gets a daily rinse and refill from the cold water tap. If you have good water, it's fine. If you have hard water, then distilled is a cheap way to avoid deposits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After 16 years of cpap therapy without a humidifier, except for about six unsuccessful tries with the ancient LX passover humidifier which was very suffocating, I decided to finally make friends with the enemy, Dancing

I tried it now a couple of nights using standard tubing. First night I started at 1. I got up later and noticed there was no steam coming out of my ears so I tried it at 2 and then later 3. This was when the outside humidity was 96 and wondered why even try. It was ok, didn't bother me, don't know if it really did any good.

Tried it again last night at 3 the outside humidity was 24, must be that cold from the north on the way and it went fine. Trying to see if it helps. Not sure yet. Don't have any stinging in my nose which occasionally I have but don't know what is affecting what yet.

Both nights I used only about 1/8 inch of distilled water. I had expected more to be missing. Is this normal?

I guess I will try this with standard tubing all the way up to 6 to see how it goes. And then I'll try the Climateline tubing to see if that makes any real difference. What do you think, will it if I don't have any rainout using the standard tubing?

Have pretty much decided to try it by topping off the water if I think it needs it which it didn't last night and cleaning it every 7-14 days like the sleep doctor and user said he did on youtube. I think there is a better chance I will make use of it if I do it that way and will watch for any strange looking things in between.

I suspect that since I did ok for all those years without and that I live in Florida I may just use it now and then but will decide after I have time to compare all the different ways of using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier is only there to make you comfortable. It wants to be your friend - it's not the enemy. Wink If you don't like the experience or can't tell any difference, there's no harm done if you go without it. You do live in a humid environment which could make the difference (though of course airconditioning can reduce the humidity indoors).

Personally I've always used the humidifier (even in the tropics) so I don't know what it's like without it, and have no incentive to try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 92 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 889 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 504 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 233 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 422 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.