Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beginning use with H5i humidifier
RE: Beginning use with H5i humidifier
I thought I'd check to see if my H5i was working correctly so I followed the suggestions on this video from Resmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmW9WMsdfI

She says hold your hand about 5 inches over the plate and you should be able to feel something. Not here. I tried it on both my S9's and they both responded the same using the one humidifier.

First, it takes 20 minutes for the warm up to complete it's cycle. I can't feel anything unless I put my hand on the heating plate and then it kind of almost maybe feels a bit warm. It's a little hard to detect that way. Is this normal?

What's your experience on this?

Update: Just tried it again. First I felt the heating plate and it felt cold. Once I turned it on a couple of minutes later I did notice some heat. It felt kind of like an electric blanket on a very low setting but I had to touch the plate to feel it. Is this what it's supposed to be? I had expected it to be hot enough that you'd want to pull your hand away real quick.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep in an airconditioned room and used to like the cold air coming through the mask - like internal airconditioning Big Grin.

With the humidifier, warm air comes in and gets you all warm and ready for sleep faster Dreaming

My only issue is the trouble to bring it to the sink to drain it each morning, detaching the hose. Setting it up again at night. I have a simple filter attached to my tap to remove whatever, so that cuts out one problem of stocking up on distilled water.

Not sure if you have the Apex humidifier, but it warms up within 10 min at a setting of 3 out of 6 and water starts to condense on the inside of the water tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2016, 12:09 AM)Lanco Wrote: I thought I'd check to see if my H5i was working correctly so I followed the suggestions on this video from Resmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmW9WMsdfI

She says hold your hand about 5 inches over the plate and you should be able to feel something. Not here. I tried it on both my S9's and they both responded the same using the one humidifier.

First, it takes 20 minutes for the warm up to complete it's cycle. I can't feel anything unless I put my hand on the heating plate and then it kind of almost maybe feels a bit warm. It's a little hard to detect that way. Is this normal?

What's your experience on this?

Update: Just tried it again. First I felt the heating plate and it felt cold. Once I turned it on a couple of minutes later I did notice some heat. It felt kind of like an electric blanket on a very low setting but I had to touch the plate to feel it. Is this what it's supposed to be? I had expected it to be hot enough that you'd want to pull your hand away real quick.

What is your humidifier set to? Is it set to 6 for your test? If not, try setting it to 6 and repeat the test. Also, how humid is your room?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your humidifier is working normally. This is not a sous vide immersion cooker. If it feels warm to your hand, the temperature is above 98 F and probably in the low 100s range. This is enough to warm the water enough to encourage some evaporation. Mine acts like yours on the warmup cycle, but during actual use, it seems to get warmer. It will never boil water, but can be hot to touch if the water runs out at night. Manual settings are hotter than auto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2016, 02:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is not a sous vide immersion cooker.

Dielaughing Thanks Sleeprider, made my day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2016, 05:33 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: I sleep in an airconditioned room and used to like the cold air coming through the mask - like internal airconditioning Big Grin.

With the humidifier, warm air comes in and gets you all warm and ready for sleep faster Dreaming

My only issue is the trouble to bring it to the sink to drain it each morning, detaching the hose. Setting it up again at night. I have a simple filter attached to my tap to remove whatever, so that cuts out one problem of stocking up on distilled water.

Not sure if you have the Apex humidifier, but it warms up within 10 min at a setting of 3 out of 6 and water starts to condense on the inside of the water tank.

I had heard originally that the tub had to be cleaned daily but have heard a number of people including techs, and here's a sleep doctor and user that says it's ok to clean it every 7-14 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxavmHh3RMA&t=23s

I never got the Apex humidifier but I did return the XT Auto since I got the S9.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the standard tubing for a few days and tried levels 1,2,3 and 4. No rainout. Not sure if it did much if anything yet but then again after 16 years without I will probably end up using it sparingly, wait and see.

Anyway, I'm going to try the climateline tubing. I understand setting it to Autois a good way to start and then if needed adjust the temp from 80 degrees default which also changes the humidity automatically to match the temp. Do I have that right?
Post Reply Post Reply
You have that right for an S9. When you change the temperature while in climateline auto mode it changes the absolute humidity which is the actual amount of water in the air (like mg/cubic meter). Resmed maintains that the absolute humidity is what is needed to maintain moisture in your tissues that need the moisture.

H5i. I tested mine, which works very well, per the video. With my hand up as far as in the video, either set at 3 or 6, I felt very little warmth. At 3 the plate was a little warm. At 6 it was a little warmer but would not burn me. If I let it preheat for 15 minutes it might have gotten warmer.

Per that video, it would be interesting to know where the sensors for humidity and temperature are in the H5i. Does anybody have a handle on that?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2016, 03:02 PM)Lanco Wrote:
(11-27-2016, 02:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is not a sous vide immersion cooker.

Dielaughing Thanks Sleeprider, made my day.

Well, I did have a prime rib roast on my mind at the time. Sorry you missed out...

[Image: 158A851E-8C25-45DE-AFD2-498EB5292AC2.jpg]

[Image: 58577418-9131-4C59-BD7F-369627F0B01A.jpg]

[Image: 2104C9A8-AF66-4647-979D-CC11BA9D65E9.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot. Now you're making me hungry. I have to go and eat nowlike
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 213 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 606 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 320 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.