Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beginning use with H5i humidifier
RE: Beginning use with H5i humidifier
Eat well. Sleep well. The wine won't hurt either.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like an excellent piece of meat, charcoal chimney hack and all! I love my Anova, had a prime rib AAA steak tonight. It made CPAP worth it! Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
After a brief trial I stopped using the humidifier. Wasn't sure if it was exactly helping. As it is the meds I take open up my sinuses pretty good for cpap use. Yesterday, I noticed a few drips coming out of my nose so I figured it would be a good time to use the humidifier to see if it would help.

Anyway, I used standard tubing and set it to 3.5. This morning immediately upon awakening I pulled out the water tank and felt the heating plate. It felt ice cold. Some water had been used, maybe 1/8 inch.

I'm wondering still if it is working properly. Seems to me at 3.5 there would be some feeling of warmth.

I can tell you I used the Climateline tubing one night. After beginning at 80 degrees on Auto I felt a discomfort way back in my sinuses at the start of use and then kind of went away. I didn't like it that hot so I lowered it a couple degrees. In the morning there was a lot more water gone compared to using a standard hose. I'd say it used 1/2 to 3/4 inch of water.

Don't know what to look for. What do you think.

Also, unless it's just a strange coincidence my leak rate seems to tend to go quite a bit higher using the humidifier compared to not. Maybe I need more testing on this part to be sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience with humidifiers is that at the end of a session they are warmer than body temperature (warm to the touch). I have one of those IR sensors coming tomorrow, so I can play with it next week and shoot some temperatures. I'd guess my Aircurve 10 humidifier plate is around 104 to 109 as a rough estimate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be a little careful how interpret your readings with your IR thermometer. IR thermometers are dependent on the emissivity of the source which can effect the reading. I am not sure how much at normal temperatures. My experience is with measuring temperatures in the 2000 to 3000 degree fahrenheit range where it can make a significant difference. Just for reference-highly reflective surfaces have a lower emissivity than do dull, non-reflective surfaces.

I apologize if I am telling you stuff that you already know.

Have fun.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Have been upping the humidifier settings (with standard hose) every night to see if it's working properly. At 4 the water was at the second marker line in the morning. Last night I was going to try 4.5 and found it breathed hard. Thought it was maybe me at first and tried for a bit and then disconnected the humidifier and went direct into the S9 and found it breathed easy like normal again. Any ideas on this? Is this normal? The outside humidity was at 98% and our AC had hardly run and besides this house is far from airtight. Don't know if that's any connection or not.

Does the humidifier when used as above just give a set number of humidity or does the surrounding humidity affect it.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to Resmed tech support, the H5i has both temperature and humidity measurement built in to the unit, so it probably targets a given relative humidity for each setting. If the air in the room has higher humidity than the H5i is set for, it will not try to add moisture to the air so the heater plate will not heat.

As far as the humidity setting causing "hard breathing", it will not cause hard breathing by itself. I have had my H5i set from 3 to 6 and have never felt any "hard breathing". The higher humidity could have caused tissues or mucous in your nose to swell causing your breathing to require more effort and it may have been only because of a combination of factors that were in existence that night not something that would happen every time.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2016, 02:29 PM)PaytonA Wrote: According to Resmed tech support, the H5i has both temperature and humidity measurement built in to the unit, so it probably targets a given relative humidity for each setting. If the air in the room has higher humidity than the H5i is set for, it will not try to add moisture to the air so the heater plate will not heat.

As far as the humidity setting causing "hard breathing", it will not cause hard breathing by itself. I have had my H5i set from 3 to 6 and have never felt any "hard breathing". The higher humidity could have caused tissues or mucous in your nose to swell causing your breathing to require more effort and it may have been only because of a combination of factors that were in existence that night not something that would happen every time.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Well, that explains a lot here in humid Florida. I had thought that it could do that only when Climateline tubing was used but if not I think we have the answer as different levels of water have been used on different nights and settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 214 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 606 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 322 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.