Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Belching air
Question 
Belching air
I have used CPAP for about 10 years, with great results. About a month ago, I noticed that small "belches" of air were periodically coming out of my mouth, often waking me up. (I use a nasal mask) I don't have any sensation of it coming from anyplace, just forcing my lips open and emitting air. Could this mean a pressure issue (low/ high?). In addition (connected?) about a week ago I experienced a hypopnea. I was sleeping, and felt a pounding as I slept. It woke me up. My heart was beating very strongly, and I was gasping for air. I have never had that before or since. It could have been due to my sleep position or a temporarily stuffed nose. Could this also be a pressure issue? Thanking you in advance, Jeff S
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Belching air
I believe I would be talking with a doctor about these symptoms. It appears you don't use software on your machine, so maybe a new sleep study is in order to determine if your settings are correct and if your machine is meeting your needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jeff,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile lists a single pressure implying a fixed-pressure CPAP treatment, but you also list an auto-CPAP machine.

Assuming you are on single-pressure CPAP treatment, suddenly experiencing mouth leakage after years of successful usage is just bizarre. The "sudden" onset of apneas and hypopneas might be that your treatment requirements have changed sufficiently that your current settings are simply inadequate.

Assuming you are on auto-CPAP treatment, things might make a bit more sense. As above, it may be that your treatment requirements have changed as you have aged (it happens), or as a result of your sleep position, and that the pressure requirement (and supplied by the device) has recently increased to the point where your previous success in keeping your mouth sealed is being overpowered. As well, it may be that the pressure requirement has reached the upper limit of your auto-CPAP upper-limit setting. That last could allow apneas and hypopneas to again occur, resulting in your recent experience.

You might consider downloading the SleepyHead software and examining the recorded data on the SD card. That should tell you more about what was happening that night. Other than that, consulting with your doctor and possibly having another sleep study would also be worthwhile.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Belching as we speak........ littletigercat 10 4,749 01-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.