Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Benefits of NOT using a humidifier
Benefits of NOT using a humidifier
True or False why I like to ask the expert for their opinions about for or against

1) Mold is caused by water which is why you need to clean the tubing and other parts daily but by not using the humidifier you don't have to as often

2) the humidifier offer no medical benefit just adds to comfort but you can do the same thing by having a glass of water

3) Save money on distilled water
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Benefits of NOT using a humidifier
1. Mould isn't caused by water, but does need moisture to grow. However I have to ask how is mould getting into your system? The air passing through the hose is filtered (not to a high degree) and is the same air you breathe in your bedroom. If you have a mouldy bedroom then you have a more serious problem. Frankly, cleaning everything every day is overkill.

2. The humidifier helps maintain moisture in the mucous membranes of the nasal passages. For most people this is just a comfort feature but for some it is a medical issue to the extent that humidification prevents nasal congestion. You can get the same effect from a glass of water if you inhale it.

3. Use tap water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can claim no expertise, but I believe the answers to be as follows:

a. False.  Mold is caused by spores which, like seeds, need fuel and the right conditions on a surface to germinate and thence to flourish. I have never experienced mold in any of my gear.  However, mold can, and does, grow even between the elements of optical lenses, to the chagrin of many a photographer;

b. False.  There is a benefit to having moistened mucosa inside the nose.  It acts as a barrier to diseases...heck, maybe even spores.  The delicate tissues inside our mouths and our noses would suffer greatly if they were allowed to dry out, which dry air will contribute to; and

c. False.  Actually, the premise is false because one need not use distilled water at all, except in rather severe cases where water quality is poor and one doesn't want to foul or ruin the reservoir.  Simply rinsing out the remaining water, perhaps adding some vinegar to swish around the interior, and refilling with clean tap water should work well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would likely fail any CPAP class of machine if I could not use the humidifier. My COPD doesn't like very dry air. True, it doesn't like over humid air either.

I don't get mold in my equipment, and I'm not a daily cleaner. I am in the habit of changing out the water after each use.

And that water is tap. After a year of buying distilled, I got tired of going to the store to buy water.

Probably not in order, but I didn't feel like wasting time editing, I had coffee to make.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
About a month or so ago, I went a couple of nights w/o using the humidifier. I was sure that it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Man oh man, was I ever wrong. 

After the 2nd night, I was convinced that I needed the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never seen a mold infestation in CPAP, however I have seen bacterial infections that are usually an airborne, benign type, and only colonize the humidifier chamber walls. A CPAP tube will not contain enough moisture to support colonization unless there is excessive moisture (condensation). I have some heated tubing that I used for 5-years with my previous machine, and it was never an issue (Aussie Heated Tube by Sleepzone Supplier #7 was available before Resmed and Philips had heated tubes). They were not easy or possible to clean, and were expensive, so we used them a long time.

I think all three of the assumptions in the original post have been adequately refuted, so I won't pile on to say you're wrong...but you're wrong. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You for you views. I have to say I also agree and why I posted. I am new to this but when an older person from my church told me this who seemed knowledgable I wanted the people here opinion which I why I asked in the first place.

Is there any reason to not use the humidifier
Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly, folks seems to think that they "need" humidification because "CPAP air" is dry air.

It's not. A CPAP machine does no drying. It is the same air, at the same humidity, that everyone else that is not using CPAP is breathing.

And very,very few folks not using CPAP "need" some sort of supplemental humidity.

Manufacturers added humidity as a sales gimmick and it has been sold as a necessity, and lots of people bought the lie. In reality, it is about as necessary as electric windows in cars. I did fine with crank up windows for decades and could just as easily do so again.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
It all comes down to personal preference. You don’t necessarily need to have heated humidification. You could fill the chamber and turn off the humidifier and just have cool slightly humid air. Im thinking about doing just that. Personally my lungs and sinuses like cool morning air. During the summer months breathing the hot humid air is very uncomfortable for me. My only concern is not getting enough humidity and having my sinuses dry up and bleed. If that happens I’ll just bring the humidity and tube temp up until they aren’t dry anymore. I probably won’t get it where I need it on the first or second try but since this is a life long commitment I have nothing but time to get it right. So as I stated in the first sentence it’s all personal preference. No humidity, passive humidity, or heated humidity, it’s whatever your body needs to be comfortable.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2020, 08:13 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Oddly, folks seems to think that they "need" humidification because "CPAP air" is dry air.

It's not.  A CPAP machine does no drying.  It is the same air, at the same humidity, that everyone else that is not using CPAP is breathing.

And very,very few folks not using CPAP "need" some sort of supplemental humidity.

Manufacturers added humidity as a sales gimmick and it has been sold as a necessity, and lots of people bought the lie.  In reality, it is about as necessary as electric windows in cars.  I did fine with crank up windows for decades and could just as easily do so again.

Your message makes sense to me.

When I travel I leave my humidifier behind. I don't carry the humidifier or the bottle of distilled water.
I got tired of bringing home labelled distilled water. It's expensive and heavy. And in this day and age who knows if it's actually distilled.
Our tap water is chlorinated though.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 169 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 426 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 289 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 947 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 529 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 440 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,270 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.