GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Benefits of regular exercise ??
I saw my GP this morning and asked her a question about exercise and its benefits. I was under the mistaken impression that regular exercise might help me to lose weight. She claims that modifying one's diet is the largest thing responsible for the desired weight loss.

How does one 'modify' one's diet when you are taking insulin for every meal? Someone out there must have been successful at this and I would appreciate any help you can pass along.
03-01-2016 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Benefits of regular exercise ??
That's a tough one. If one looks at calories used during exercise and compares that to the 3500 calories in 1 pound of fat, the GP is correct.
There is an exercise benefit for diabetics. Building muscle mass gives a reservoir for glucose to be be pushed into by insulin. In effect, improving insulin sensitivity.

Now, as for diet. A lower carb diet could result in the need for less insulin. Especially the push needed at mealtime.
Insulin is a double edge sword... it is necessary for glucose control; but also acts as a fat storage hormone. So, lowering carbs while balancing insulin is tricky. Since you are type 1, you have to avoid loss of control that results in metabolic acidosis. I'm sure you are aware that as a type 1, you cannot get off insulin.

Since you use a pump, you should have an idea how much insulin will lower your blood glucose by X mg/dl.
You should also have an idea how much you blood glucose will rise when Y grams of carb are ingested.

Using that, you could devise a plan for lowering carbs and insulin slowly -- then run it past your GP for approval.

If you are on Medicare, you should be entitled to a certain number of visits to a nutritionist.
That might be an avenue to explore.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 04:55 PM by justMongo.)
03-01-2016 04:53 PM
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

My wife is a diabetic. She watches her carbs very carefully (almost always). She has done a lot of research personally in conjunction with her doctor's input and has done very well including controlling her weight. Like me, she is about 65. Don't tell her I shared her age!

fos

Sleep is worth the effort.
03-01-2016 08:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ramp off

(03-01-2016 01:59 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  I saw my GP this morning and asked her a question about exercise and its benefits. I was under the mistaken impression that regular exercise might help me to lose weight. She claims that modifying one's diet is the largest thing responsible for the desired weight loss.

How does one 'modify' one's diet when you are taking insulin for every meal? Someone out there must have been successful at this and I would appreciate any help you can pass along.

I am also Diabetic and have been taking insulin for 60 years. I would stress the need to know how your BSL reacts to each food you plan to eat while loosing weight. Each one of us is different so experimentation and testing of your BSL 1-2 hours after you eat is essential to loosing weight and managing the diabetic risks.

Have you done any comparison mapping between your BSL highs, lows, spikes, and you favorite foods.

Understanding your morning reading as related to your evening meals and your and your evening insulin dose. Is very important.

I find swimming is the best exercise and I know exactly how that hour effects my BSL I only swim where there is a lifeguard who knows I am Diabetic and what to do if I need rescue.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
03-01-2016 08:57 PM
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

Regular exercise will help your diabetes, especially type II. It helps your general health too, but the key is to start slowly and take your time to increase it, and take the odd break. If doing vigorous exercise while taking insulin make sure to have some sugar handy as intense exercise can cause your blood sugar to go quite low. Even a half hour walk three or four times a week will be beneficial IF you are not sick or have some factor that is a contra indication. Check with your doctor first, though.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
03-03-2016 07:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PappinLikeABoss Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense10 for her
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT for her
Humidifier: yes
CPAP Pressure: 7-11

Other Comments: DX Sleep Apnea 2015, HX Bilateral PE 2015, Grave's Disease

(03-01-2016 01:59 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  I saw my GP this morning and asked her a question about exercise and its benefits. I was under the mistaken impression that regular exercise might help me to lose weight. She claims that modifying one's diet is the largest thing responsible for the desired weight loss.

Yes it can help, especially weight training. Diet is more important though for weight loss. There are many articles to back this up with science out there from reputable sources about this. I think of it as about 80/20, with diet being the 80. I can't speak to diabetes, but a clean low sugar diet works well for me.

Good luck and keep steady. I've lost about 25 with this method, and it isn't the first rodeo for me. It works everytime I decide I want it to. Smile
03-04-2016 09:51 AM
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

Well, I think they go hand in hand. Traditional wisdom is that weight loss happens when a) calories in < calories out and b) when your body is still getting what it needs nutritionally.

I started doing a handcycle spin class this year....I'm considering doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer in August under arm power for a challenge...so I made 2 changes to what I was doing to get into a better shape. I started watching what I was eating and trying to limit the number of total calories (and especially empty calories) that were crossing my lips. The second thing I did was to get more active by getting back on the bike trainer and doing the spin class.

By doing so, I'm covering both ends. Exercising regularly in the morning gives me a metabolic boost to help burn more calories though out the day. Working on the handcycle has built more muscle mass in the arms, shoulders, chest and back....I use those muscles every day, so there are a few more calories being burned as more muscle mass is being used, even by the mundane, every-day tasks. Limiting what I eat has cut down on the "easy" available calories and forced the use of some fat for fuel.

The net result is since my birthday in early January, I'm down 25 lbs. I've got a ways to go before I am happy, but considering I am building muscle (more dense than fat) and I am still down that much....I'm pleased by the progress to date.
03-04-2016 01:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(03-04-2016 01:25 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:  Well, I think they go hand in hand. Traditional wisdom is that weight loss happens when a) calories in < calories out and b) when your body is still getting what it needs nutritionally.

I started doing a handcycle spin class this year....I'm considering doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer in August under arm power for a challenge...so I made 2 changes to what I was doing to get into a better shape. I started watching what I was eating and trying to limit the number of total calories (and especially empty calories) that were crossing my lips. The second thing I did was to get more active by getting back on the bike trainer and doing the spin class.

By doing so, I'm covering both ends. Exercising regularly in the morning gives me a metabolic boost to help burn more calories though out the day. Working on the handcycle has built more muscle mass in the arms, shoulders, chest and back....I use those muscles every day, so there are a few more calories being burned as more muscle mass is being used, even by the mundane, every-day tasks. Limiting what I eat has cut down on the "easy" available calories and forced the use of some fat for fuel.

The net result is since my birthday in early January, I'm down 25 lbs. I've got a ways to go before I am happy, but considering I am building muscle (more dense than fat) and I am still down that much....I'm pleased by the progress to date.

Congratulations on the awesome weight loss. You have every right to be proud of your accomplishment.
03-10-2016 04:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can 'exercise' be Fun? Peter_C 11 1,876 02-28-2014 06:10 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  The Forgotten Health Benefits of Chinese Food ApneaNews 10 3,462 05-15-2013 05:58 AM
Last Post: Shastzi
  [News] Melatonin and Exercise Work Against Alzheimer's ApneaNews 0 863 12-14-2012 03:44 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews