Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Benefits of regular exercise ??
I saw my GP this morning and asked her a question about exercise and its benefits. I was under the mistaken impression that regular exercise might help me to lose weight. She claims that modifying one's diet is the largest thing responsible for the desired weight loss.

How does one 'modify' one's diet when you are taking insulin for every meal? Someone out there must have been successful at this and I would appreciate any help you can pass along.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a tough one. If one looks at calories used during exercise and compares that to the 3500 calories in 1 pound of fat, the GP is correct.
There is an exercise benefit for diabetics. Building muscle mass gives a reservoir for glucose to be be pushed into by insulin. In effect, improving insulin sensitivity.

Now, as for diet. A lower carb diet could result in the need for less insulin. Especially the push needed at mealtime.
Insulin is a double edge sword... it is necessary for glucose control; but also acts as a fat storage hormone. So, lowering carbs while balancing insulin is tricky. Since you are type 1, you have to avoid loss of control that results in metabolic acidosis. I'm sure you are aware that as a type 1, you cannot get off insulin.

Since you use a pump, you should have an idea how much insulin will lower your blood glucose by X mg/dl.
You should also have an idea how much you blood glucose will rise when Y grams of carb are ingested.

Using that, you could devise a plan for lowering carbs and insulin slowly -- then run it past your GP for approval.

If you are on Medicare, you should be entitled to a certain number of visits to a nutritionist.
That might be an avenue to explore.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife is a diabetic. She watches her carbs very carefully (almost always). She has done a lot of research personally in conjunction with her doctor's input and has done very well including controlling her weight. Like me, she is about 65. Don't tell her I shared her age!

fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

(03-01-2016, 01:59 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I saw my GP this morning and asked her a question about exercise and its benefits. I was under the mistaken impression that regular exercise might help me to lose weight. She claims that modifying one's diet is the largest thing responsible for the desired weight loss.

How does one 'modify' one's diet when you are taking insulin for every meal? Someone out there must have been successful at this and I would appreciate any help you can pass along.

I am also Diabetic and have been taking insulin for 60 years. I would stress the need to know how your BSL reacts to each food you plan to eat while loosing weight. Each one of us is different so experimentation and testing of your BSL 1-2 hours after you eat is essential to loosing weight and managing the diabetic risks.

Have you done any comparison mapping between your BSL highs, lows, spikes, and you favorite foods.

Understanding your morning reading as related to your evening meals and your and your evening insulin dose. Is very important.

I find swimming is the best exercise and I know exactly how that hour effects my BSL I only swim where there is a lifeguard who knows I am Diabetic and what to do if I need rescue.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regular exercise will help your diabetes, especially type II. It helps your general health too, but the key is to start slowly and take your time to increase it, and take the odd break. If doing vigorous exercise while taking insulin make sure to have some sugar handy as intense exercise can cause your blood sugar to go quite low. Even a half hour walk three or four times a week will be beneficial IF you are not sick or have some factor that is a contra indication. Check with your doctor first, though.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

The above is my opinion.  It is just possible that I may, occasionally, be mistaken.

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Everything put together sooner or later falls apart.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 01:59 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I saw my GP this morning and asked her a question about exercise and its benefits. I was under the mistaken impression that regular exercise might help me to lose weight. She claims that modifying one's diet is the largest thing responsible for the desired weight loss.

Yes it can help, especially weight training. Diet is more important though for weight loss. There are many articles to back this up with science out there from reputable sources about this. I think of it as about 80/20, with diet being the 80. I can't speak to diabetes, but a clean low sugar diet works well for me.

Good luck and keep steady. I've lost about 25 with this method, and it isn't the first rodeo for me. It works everytime I decide I want it to. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Well, I think they go hand in hand. Traditional wisdom is that weight loss happens when a) calories in < calories out and b) when your body is still getting what it needs nutritionally.

I started doing a handcycle spin class this year....I'm considering doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer in August under arm power for a challenge...so I made 2 changes to what I was doing to get into a better shape. I started watching what I was eating and trying to limit the number of total calories (and especially empty calories) that were crossing my lips. The second thing I did was to get more active by getting back on the bike trainer and doing the spin class.

By doing so, I'm covering both ends. Exercising regularly in the morning gives me a metabolic boost to help burn more calories though out the day. Working on the handcycle has built more muscle mass in the arms, shoulders, chest and back....I use those muscles every day, so there are a few more calories being burned as more muscle mass is being used, even by the mundane, every-day tasks. Limiting what I eat has cut down on the "easy" available calories and forced the use of some fat for fuel.

The net result is since my birthday in early January, I'm down 25 lbs. I've got a ways to go before I am happy, but considering I am building muscle (more dense than fat) and I am still down that much....I'm pleased by the progress to date.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2016, 01:25 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Well, I think they go hand in hand. Traditional wisdom is that weight loss happens when a) calories in < calories out and b) when your body is still getting what it needs nutritionally.

I started doing a handcycle spin class this year....I'm considering doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer in August under arm power for a challenge...so I made 2 changes to what I was doing to get into a better shape. I started watching what I was eating and trying to limit the number of total calories (and especially empty calories) that were crossing my lips. The second thing I did was to get more active by getting back on the bike trainer and doing the spin class.

By doing so, I'm covering both ends. Exercising regularly in the morning gives me a metabolic boost to help burn more calories though out the day. Working on the handcycle has built more muscle mass in the arms, shoulders, chest and back....I use those muscles every day, so there are a few more calories being burned as more muscle mass is being used, even by the mundane, every-day tasks. Limiting what I eat has cut down on the "easy" available calories and forced the use of some fat for fuel.

The net result is since my birthday in early January, I'm down 25 lbs. I've got a ways to go before I am happy, but considering I am building muscle (more dense than fat) and I am still down that much....I'm pleased by the progress to date.

Congratulations on the awesome weight loss. You have every right to be proud of your accomplishment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can 'exercise' be Fun? Peter_C 11 1,998 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  The Forgotten Health Benefits of Chinese Food ApneaNews 10 3,612 05-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Shastzi
  [News] Melatonin and Exercise Work Against Alzheimer's ApneaNews 0 887 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews