Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Benzodiazepine [Possible affects with Sleep Apnea]
Benzodiazepine [Possible affects with Sleep Apnea]
Hello
Going through a difficult period my doctor prescribed an anxiolitic based on benzodiazepine.
On the other hand I read that this type of medication is strongly discouraged for people suffering from sleep apnea.
Has anyone ever dealt with these drugs?
I have been equipped with a CPAP device for a year.
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Benzodiazepine
This question is for your doctor and only your doctor. That’s a narcotic so there is no way for any of us to know what to tell you without possibly harming you
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
That said I have dealt with them but again I can’t tell you what to do as far as narcotics are concerned. Only your doctor can tell you those things
Post Reply Post Reply
what is the danger for sleep apnea and cpap users?
Post Reply Post Reply
Those drugs are a relaxant which can make your throat close up even easier. They are also a respiratory depressant which can make central Apneas last a very long time and very frequently. That’s why you need to make sure your doctor is aware that you have sleep apnea if he doesn’t already know. If he already knows you need to tell him you’re uncomfortable taking those and ask if there are alternatives. I wish I could tell you one way or the other but I can’t give advice like that in here
Post Reply Post Reply
Benzodiazapines are not opiates, but are similarly abused. When used as prescribed by your doctor they are normally safe, and can relieve anxiety and depression. TREATED obstructive sleep apnea should not be a contraindication to prescribed use (not abuse). If you use a CPAP data that records your apnea, then you can easily judge if the use of your medication has resulted in an increase of events or not. I have never had a problem with taking prescribed opioid pain medications, or other drugs with PAP therapy. Osiris357 is correct that you should raise any concerns with your doctor, however, he is wrong about the class of drug and how it might affect respiration. Your CPAP treats your obstructive sleep apnea, and your risk as a treated sleep apnea patient is probably no different than a person without sleep apnea. Make sure your doctor is aware of your sleep apnea, and if that would change his prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider is correct Mimono. I got it mixed up with opiates. Only combined with alcohol does it effect your respiratory system. My mistake...sleeprider I was trying to chose my words carefully to avoid getting a warning cause I couldn’t remember which things exactly you can’t bring up or talk about in here. And since it is a narcotic and have no idea of his medical history I just played it very conservative
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mimono,
Just to point out that we are not doctors and can’t say for certain what affect this drug may have in combination with sleep apnea.  

What’s most important here is that your doctor is aware of your sleep apnea before prescribing this drug.
Communication with your doctor is key to your questions.

It’s important that you talk to your doctor about the affects this drug may or may not have on sleep apnea, and you should get a clear understanding from your doctor about the time frame for taking this drug as it probably isn’t meant for long term.

Just doing a quick google search brings up two articles that may guide you in talking to your doctor.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...T1o0oBHLiQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...9ozcWCvgp_
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Benzodiazepine [Possible affects with Sleep Apnea]
From personal experience I’ve taken Xanax while not being treated for sleep apnea and instead of waking up refreshed from a calm nights sleep I would wake up feeling horrible, more so than usual. Now that I know I have sleep apnea and am being treated for it I now realize why I felt so horrible. More events and probably longer duration . I have not needed it since before being diagnosed with sleep apnea so I can’t comment on how I felt the next morning recently. The more relaxed you are, which is what benzos do, puts you in a state of calm, you’re throat is much more relaxed and closes more easily. So I highly recommend your doctor knows you have sleep apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Benzodiazepine [Possible affects with Sleep Apnea]
Thank you OpalRose for saying that in a clearer fashion then I was able to
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.