Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bernerbits' ongoing CPAP/meds/insomnia saga
RE: Bernerbits' ongoing CPAP/meds/insomnia saga
Feeling really tired today. Hard time getting work done. I asked my neurologist for Provigil.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep therapist recommends staying on the Ambien for another week before starting the taper, since I just now started to stabilize and see improvements in CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
bernerbits,

I understand the desperation regarding being tired and getting work done. But I honestly feel that you might want to reconsider going on Provigil.

First of all, I am concerned that since one of the side effects of Provigil is insomnia, your strong efforts to improve your sleep might be set back. I am also worried it would ratchet up your anxiety.

Additionally, I am wondering if your body is still stabilizing from all the med changes and perhaps you being tired and non focused is a symptom of that. Personally, I would wait a few more weeks to see if this disappears.

If you still feel you need to be on Provigil, I would personally wait until you were off of the Ambien as again one too many med changes can greatly destabilize your nervous system.

Best of luck.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
Fair enough. I was thinking 2 times a week max, mornings only. I'll see what my neurologist has to say at any rate.

I had a small relapse last night due to a perfect storm of circumstances - shifting my bedtime (and thus my meds) by half an hour to further consolidate sleep, being awake until 10 helping with a work deployment and missing my wind-down time, feeling responsible for the deployment going long, and going to bed hungry. Only got about 4 hours of sleep. Sleep therapist thinks this will create additional sleep pressure and my sleep will restabilize quickly. If the sleep log is an indicator of future success I believe this is true.

But my AHIs are still down below 5 and my compliance is good, and I wasn't overwhelmed with anxiety so at least I got some rest time in bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two times a week in the morning sounds good for the Provigil.

Relapses are going to happen but it sounds like you are making great progress and I am so happy for you.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
My neurologist says that there is a dangerous interaction between Zoloft and Provigil. Oh well, at least I asked.
Post Reply Post Reply
My anxiety came flaring back last night, when my respiratory therapist sent me another email scolding me for changing pressure settings. "Please understand the pressures are not only pt comfort but to control your apnea." (No duh, lady. My AHI is under 5/hr now.) So I tried breathing and positive restructuring techniques from my therapists, but still stewed on it all evening. So I'm still getting breakthrough anxiety on the Zoloft, especially on only 4ish hours of sleep.

I am thinking about going up to a 100mg dose on the Zoloft, but I don't want to do that AND begin tapering Ambien. One change per week is about all I can handle.

I got my "core" sleep of 5.5 hours last night, and the night waking was much later in the morning, so I think my body is starting to respond to the half hour shift and consolidate my sleep a little more. Definitely feel better today than yesterday.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bernerbits,

I can't repeat on this board what I would like to say to the RT. Sorry you have to deal with that.

As an FYI, I have read that it can take up to twelve weeks for the nervous system to stabilize after reinstating a psych med. I know dealing with breakthrough anxiety is tough but you might want to keep that in mind.

And another thing to consider is the anxiety might not have anything to do with the zoloft as to be honest, I would be pretty anxious about an RT who sounds arrogant as heck.

Saw your other post about the Neurologist stating that there is a dangerous interaction between Provigil and Zoloft. Sorry about that.

Happy to hear you feel better today than yesterday. It sounds like you keep making good progress.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 06:08 AM)bernerbits Wrote: My anxiety came flaring back last night, when my respiratory therapist sent me another email scolding me for changing pressure settings. "Please understand the pressures are not only pt comfort but to control your apnea." (No duh, lady. My AHI is under 5/hr now.) So I tried breathing and positive restructuring techniques from my therapists, but still stewed on it all evening. So I'm still getting breakthrough anxiety on the Zoloft, especially on only 4ish hours of sleep.

I am thinking about going up to a 100mg dose on the Zoloft, but I don't want to do that AND begin tapering Ambien. One change per week is about all I can handle.

I got my "core" sleep of 5.5 hours last night, and the night waking was much later in the morning, so I think my body is starting to respond to the half hour shift and consolidate my sleep a little more. Definitely feel better today than yesterday.

Time to put your machine in "airplane mode" . You don't have to transmit that data until you want it seen.
Repeat after me: "When I want your advise, I'll ask for it".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pull the cell modem out? EDIT: No, I found the "modem off" feature.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 215 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 298 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 607 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Ongoing issues with central apneas - seeking help with data analysis Tropicalhammock777 2 422 09-13-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Tropicalhammock777
  ongoing chest pain msherman1000 3 513 08-23-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 777 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.