Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bernerbits' ongoing CPAP/meds/insomnia saga
RE: Bernerbits' ongoing CPAP/meds/insomnia saga
Great news bernerbits. I am so happy for you.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
Just read through all 14 pages or whatever of this. Holy cow, have I been through the wringer. Only 19 days but what a long, eventful 19 days it's been.

I can see I turned a corner last weekend and things have (mostly) improved since then. Changes to sleep schedule and meds seem to be causing the biggest disruptions but they seem to last about 2 nights, and at least now I know that so I can anticipate it.

I'm scheduled to start my Ambien taper a week from tonight. After that, maybe I can reduce the huge 3mg slug of melatonin each night. Both of those are probably screwing with my daytime fatigue.

Here's hoping for an uneventful, restful 7 days until then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slept almost straight through again - had to get up to use the bathroom and promptly fell asleep again. I'm experiencing actual drowsiness during the day again and not just wired exhaustion.

CBT-I and meds are certainly contributors but I think the mask is what's finally doing it.

Put my A-FLEX down to 1 last night and got my AHI down to 2.45. Stays under 1 for most of the night, but then I get a ton of hypopneas and a couple centrals towards the end of the night. No OSAs at all.

I'm going to turn the A-FLEX off tonight. If that doesn't kill the end-of-night events I'll put the min up to 8.5 or 9 and try again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went off melatonin last night. I figure from past experience it's probably a major contributor to my daytime fatigue.

In hindsight melatonin is probably a good idea for two nights whenever I'm implementing a change. I was not able to sleep without the A-FLEX. I put it back on at 1 and fell asleep without much effort. I'll give 8.5 a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not having melatonin is increasing my fall asleep time to half an hour. But I'm less fatigued and anxious during the day, so it's a net positive. I ordered some time release melatonin at 1/10 the strength I can get in stores.

My AHIs jumped up to 4.5 last night. Patterns of possible sleep wake junk.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2016, 07:43 AM)bernerbits Wrote: Not having melatonin is increasing my fall asleep time to half an hour. But I'm less fatigued and anxious during the day, so it's a net positive. I ordered some time release melatonin at 1/10 the strength I can get in stores.

My AHIs jumped up to 4.5 last night. Patterns of possible sleep wake junk.

Good news. You are starting to sound like a Pro.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Tried instant release melatonin at 300 micrograms last night, since my time release isn't arriving until today.

Ended up with a 45 minute night waking, then sleeping in for 40 minutes due to forgetting to set my alarm. AHI is still up to 4, which I think is a reduction in sleep quality due to the melatonin changes. Still feeling okayish if pretty tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI back down below 3 and no night wakings.

Clear airways WAY down, obstructives and hypopneas up, and more distributed throughout the night - fluctuating between 0 and 6, instead of <1 throughout the night and then spiking to 10 at the end. I wonder if the melatonin decrease is also helping reset me to a more normal night.

Since the pattern is new, and I'm about to start a 6-week Ambien taper, I'll probably leave the pressure as is. Could be getting off the meds is enough to get my AHI further down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to my psychiatrist's office today, who recommended .5mg of Ativan 1 hour before bedtime in addition to the Melatonin and Ambien to help with sleep onset and maintenance, and upped my Zoloft from 50mg to 100mg, with a follow up in 30 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Better living thorough chemistry! Thinking-about

Get the T test and find a root cause....JSNS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 220 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 157 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 299 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 608 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Ongoing issues with central apneas - seeking help with data analysis Tropicalhammock777 2 422 09-13-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Tropicalhammock777
  ongoing chest pain msherman1000 3 514 08-23-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 781 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.