Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Berserk! My pillow thinks my headgear is an alien
Berserk! My pillow thinks my headgear is an alien
I thought I had beaten the headgear into submission. I was feeling smug and hopeful. But no, it’s come up with a whole new torture tactic.

P10.

I had to take the mask off in the night because pressured air was piling out of the bottom and I was unable to fix it no matter what I tried. Good thing I’d already racked up my compliance hours. But gosh darn it, my nose likes the pressured air, so I really missed it.

The bed pillow knocks the headgear so it won’t stay put. I sleep on my back (I am unable to sleep on my side). I don’t move around a lot. But the pillow moves the strap that goes at the back of the head. I have it hair-clipped down, even. I can’t lie down without the pillow moving the mask strap. I’ve tried a different pillow, i’ve tried different positions for the headgear. I’ve tried wrapping the headgear with a silicon headband (this glues the head strap to the pillow, so every time I jiggle....)

I’m going berserk!

Ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Berserk! My pillow thinks my headgear is an alien
I had a similar dislodging problem with the P10 so I trialed a Brevida and really like it.  See my post here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid228525
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2017, 10:32 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I thought I had beaten the headgear into submission. I was feeling smug and hopeful. But no, it’s come up with a whole new torture tactic.

P10.

I had to take the mask off in the night because pressured air was piling out of the bottom and I was unable to fix it no matter what I tried. Good thing I’d already racked up my compliance hours. But gosh darn it, my nose likes the pressured air, so I really missed it.

The bed pillow knocks the headgear so it won’t stay put. I sleep on my back (I am unable to sleep on my side). I don’t move around a lot. But the pillow moves the strap that goes at the back of the head. I have it hair-clipped down, even. I can’t lie down without the pillow moving the mask strap. I’ve tried a different pillow, i’ve tried different positions for the headgear. I’ve tried wrapping the headgear with a silicon headband (this glues the head strap to the pillow, so every time I jiggle....)

I’m going berserk!

Ideas?

I think you have done battle long enough with the P10, is it time to try other masks? Rolleyes
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's why I like the n20.  It has fairly stable headgear. Dont-know
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Your silicone hair and thing any way you can keep the silicone to just your hair side and normal headband on the outside ??
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2017, 11:08 AM)Cpapian Wrote: That's why I like the n20.  It has fairly stable headgear. Dont-know

I think I tried that one on before the P10. IIRC, I couldn't take the mask apart in many tries, so I had to rule it out. Resmed evidently doesn't design for seniors.....

I'm actually thinking of trying the Swift FX Nano. Anyone familiar with that one?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's right, I remember now. There is a bit of a trick to removing the mask from the headgear. But I don't take them apart much anymore. I use a mask liner and wash that daily and when I want to clean the mask I use a non-alcohol wipe.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not try the Swift FX Nasal Pillows (the soft ones) I found them to be the best to date, bit of a flaf to get it to seal right first time, but after that I rarely get any leak worth the mention.  Though what works for me might not work for you.  They are so soft that it is almost easy to forget they are on when I wake up, but the hose reminds me as soon as I move.  I didn't like the way they hung down as I kept knocking then off as used to the hose going over my head, so I taped them to one side of the headgear, (I never or very rarely sleep on that side) I had to take the hose in a wide ark to avoid collapsing the pillow on the hose side, but so far they work very well for me.  Even with me moving around at night they never move.  However, not everyone likes Nasal Pillows, though I would be stuck without them.  When I was offered them I thought "Have I made a mistake here?" but no, they are by far the best I have used to date and I have gone through a lot of masks, though I have to admit, not so many of the new ones.

Though these work very well with me, it is no certainty that they will work with you.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes try the Swift FX(not familiar with Nano...mine is regular).  I'm a side/stomach sleeper and I can adjust mine to stay in position fairly easily.  Leaks are not a problem for me.  It's just finding that sweet spot between too loose and just tight enough to stay put while being comfortable.  I can easily forget I'm wearing it lol.  Bonus is I can truly sleep on my stomach with face in pillow (cpap pillow) and still breathe thanks to the airflow!
Post Reply Post Reply
Y’all are giving me some great ideas to try. I thing the Swift pillows use the same headgear as the Nano, and it does seem as though that style would work for my face.

I’ll look at the Brevida too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 1 30 1 hour ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 267 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,660 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 441 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.