Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Machine
Best Machine
I want to ask this in our private area to keep it from becoming a commercial thread (I hope)

I want an S9 machine. I presently use a VPAP S (S8) machine.
I'll have to go out of pocket to buy a machine -- likely an open box special from #2.

Which S9 machine can emulate a VPAP S -- yet be the most flexible machine for use in other modes? My first impression is the S9 VPAP Auto. It can be set to S mode with IPAP and EPAP pressures the same as my S8. Then I can use it as an Auto if I desire.
Am I picking the best machine for flexibility and data readout?

In this question is a possibility that my condition may change -- let's say I develop CSR.

Mods: feel free to move to main apnea section if appropriate -- I just didn't want this to become a advert for the company that makes the S9.
Or am I violating "Talk about everything Except sleep apnea?"
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Machine
(03-07-2014, 02:24 PM)justMongo Wrote: I just didn't want this to become a advert for the company that makes the S9.
ResMed makes S9 machines and Phillips Respironcis makes System One machines
You cannot talk about machines without saying the manufacturer, actually its displayed/advertised in your user profile

As for best machines for your condition, see specifications
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/vpap_s...nc=dealers

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, they can get rather confusing.

With regards to ResMed machines:
- think of the S9 VPAP S as corresponding to the S9 Elite, in that it has fixed inhale and exhale pressures through the night.
- think of the S9 VPAP Auto as corresponding to the S9 AutoSet, in that it dynamically varies the pressure through the night
- think of the S9 VPAP Adapt as an S9 VPAP Auto except with a failsafe timer that initiates an inhale automatically after a certain period of time if the patient is not breathing, used to treat Central Apneas.

Obviously as you go down the list above, the configuration options get more varied.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 02:24 PM)justMongo Wrote: In this question is a possibility that my condition may change -- let's say I develop CSR.
In this case you need a new sleep study to confirm the diagnoses and titration with ASV machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mongo, I'll move it to the Main forum as it's really CPAP related. Thanks.

Simple discussion of machines doesn't really qualify as commercial. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 07:10 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 02:24 PM)justMongo Wrote: In this question is a possibility that my condition may change -- let's say I develop CSR.
In this case you need a new sleep study to confirm the diagnoses and titration with ASV machine

Understood. And none of the VPAP xxxxx machines can run as an ASV right? So, under the CSR senario, I would have to retire the S9 I bought out of pocket.

Of the VPAP S9 series, the S9 VPAP Adapt is the most flexible? Edit: I see in a comparison that the Adapt does not have S mode nor Auto -- it does have ASV and ASV auto. So, for my present situation, it appears the S9 VPAP Auto is the best.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 09:05 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 07:10 PM)zonk Wrote:

Understood. And none of the VPAP xxxxx machines can run as an ASV right? So, under the CSR senario, I would have to retire the S9 I bought out of pocket.

Of the VPAP S9 series, the S9 VPAP Adapt is the most flexible? Edit: I see in a comparison that the Adapt does not have S mode nor Auto -- it does have ASV and ASV auto. So, for my present situation, it appears the S9 VPAP Auto is the best.

First post. Been lurking for sometime.
Love the resmed s9.

Started in the s8 compact.

Number two is run by a nice guy who cares. Sleep is half my life. Its nice to see more us learn about our conditions.

Private area is sweet. Wished if joined sooner.

Anyone else make a popular cpap. Besides resmed and Phillips.

Are these S9s the best really.

What did you pay out of pocket. ?

Post Reply Post Reply
So that you can get the answer to what is the Best Machine for you - I'd think getting your present OSA situation diagnosed will provide a big part of the answer.

If you've seen the recent thread ( apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Anyone-had-an-in-home-sleep-study ), you'll have seen that no one was altogether happy with the results of my two in-hospital sleep studies.

If I needed a third study, for myself I'd pursue very strongly having a in-home study done with Respironics AlicePDx or equivalent, with the full complement of electrodes, enough to provide my sleep diagnostician / physician with the data needed to assess the situation.

I need to be clear that you understand that I want you to get the machine that provides you the optimal therapy. I've been on the other side of things myself - I got stuck with a DS100 by the DME originally - a reliable but primitive brick of a device compared to what's finally let me live better with an xPAP. My current machine happens to be a DS660 - and I'm sure an S9 would have improved my life just as much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a sleep study and been dx'ed with OSA. I am getting better results with my present treatment (as indicated by my AI and AHI) than I was during the titration phase of my study. I'm been doing OK with my limited data capability S8 VPAP S. I just want to upgrade my machine to a fully data capable machine; and at the same time, since I'm going out of pocket, get the most flexible machine should my dx change. This flexibility might permit me to continue to use my investment should my condition morph into something else.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo, I hear what you are saying in that if you are going to have to pay for a new machine yourself, you only want to do it once and cover future possibilities. I don't know anything about VPAPs except what I read, but from what I read, it seems that the Adapt would be the best choice as that would cover OSA as well as CSA. It would also do everything that the Auto does so you are covered there as well. Just my thoughts on the subject for what its worth.
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,141 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,788 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,248 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.