Best Mask Suggestions
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Best Mask Suggestions
Hi sautee. I just went through that same dilemma a couple of weeks ago when I tried my first nasal pillows mask. I tried the Nuance Gel and the AirFit P10 For Her at the DME office. Neither seemed just right. (Goldilocks syndrome)

I took the Nuance Gel home and wore it for 3 nights, had problems and swapped it for the P10. I asked when I did the swap if I could get the Nuance back if the P10 didn't work and was told that I couldn't.

That was annoying, since the respiratory therapist said that they were going to send the Nuance mask back to the manufacturer for a credit.

Fortunately, I have been very happy with the P10 and wouldn't have wanted to get the Nuance back anyway.

I am assuming that you're going through a DME and that your mask is being covered by insurance.

You can ask to make an appointment with a respiratory therapist at your DME if you want to try a second mask. Take the Wisp mask with you. Ask them to have a CPAP machine available so that you can pressurize the masks. Lie down if possible. That way you can compare the two masks.

It's not as good as sleeping all night to test one, but it's much better than just picking up the mask in a package and taking it home.

I got my first CPAP mask last winter. I was steered toward a nasal mask by the DME. I'm not sure why. I ended up with the Wisp mask, and I do like it. It's very quiet, and it's not uncomfortable.

I'm very glad I have the P10 For Her nasal pillows for summer, though, because there's lots less plastic and headgear touching my face. I can even put moisturizer on my face at night (except for the small area from below my nose to my chin).

Oh - I almost forgot. If you order a mask from an online CPAP supplier, they usually have a 30 return policy. I haven't done that before, but that could be another route to check out.

Be sure to ask what the replacement interval for the cushion part of a nasal mask is for your insurance. It's 30 days for some and 90 days for others. (That tip isn't related to your question. I just didn't want you to end up like me with a leaky nasal cushion after a couple of months and not know what the procedure was for getting it replaced.)

(06-04-2016 12:39 PM)sautee Wrote:  Question: How do you obtain different masks to "test drive"? I'm new here, but I have been told that I must return my Wisp in order to try a different mask. What if the Wisp turns out to be better? Would prefer to have several in hand to compare, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
06-04-2016 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
sautee Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: Included with Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
(06-04-2016 01:46 PM)green wings Wrote:  Hi sautee. I just went through that same dilemma a couple of weeks ago when I tried my first nasal pillows mask. I tried the Nuance Gel and the AirFit P10 For Her at the DME office. Neither seemed just right. (Goldilocks syndrome)

I took the Nuance Gel home and wore it for 3 nights, had problems and swapped it for the P10. I asked when I did the swap if I could get the Nuance back if the P10 didn't work and was told that I couldn't.

That was annoying, since the respiratory therapist said that they were going to send the Nuance mask back to the manufacturer for a credit.

Fortunately, I have been very happy with the P10 and wouldn't have wanted to get the Nuance back anyway.

I am assuming that you're going through a DME and that your mask is being covered by insurance.

You can ask to make an appointment with a respiratory therapist at your DME if you want to try a second mask. Take the Wisp mask with you. Ask them to have a CPAP machine available so that you can pressurize the masks. Lie down if possible. That way you can compare the two masks.

It's not as good as sleeping all night to test one, but it's much better than just picking up the mask in a package and taking it home.

I got my first CPAP mask last winter. I was steered toward a nasal mask by the DME. I'm not sure why. I ended up with the Wisp mask, and I do like it. It's very quiet, and it's not uncomfortable.

I'm very glad I have the P10 For Her nasal pillows for summer, though, because there's lots less plastic and headgear touching my face. I can even put moisturizer on my face at night (except for the small area from below my nose to my chin).

Oh - I almost forgot. If you order a mask from an online CPAP supplier, they usually have a 30 return policy. I haven't done that before, but that could be another route to check out.

Be sure to ask what the replacement interval for the cushion part of a nasal mask is for your insurance. It's 30 days for some and 90 days for others. (That tip isn't related to your question. I just didn't want you to end up like me with a leaky nasal cushion after a couple of months and not know what the procedure was for getting it replaced.)

(06-04-2016 12:39 PM)sautee Wrote:  Question: How do you obtain different masks to "test drive"? I'm new here, but I have been told that I must return my Wisp in order to try a different mask. What if the Wisp turns out to be better? Would prefer to have several in hand to compare, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Thank you, green wings, for your detailed response. I really appreciate your taking the time to provide such an informative answer!Thanks
06-04-2016 04:33 PM
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

Sex: Male

I went from a FFM to a Nuance Pro and loved it. I used the Nuance for several weeks with great results. The only problem with the Nuance was the exhaust blowing on my wife and me. I started using the Airfit P10 and love it even more. It is light and most importantly, it doesn't blow air everywhere. I would suggest the P10 even if you have to use a chin strap to help control mouth leaks. After all, "Resistance is futile!".

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
06-04-2016 10:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
florian1993 Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed s10
CPAP Pressure: 4-12

Other Comments:

Hi,
I tried many mask during one years. I had some troubles with leaks, due to unsuitable size.
This is my classment in order :

- Airfit P10
- Dreamwear Philips
- Airfit F10
- Airfit N10
- Wisp Philips

The P10 is very light, we don't feel it and i don't have leaks.
But when i have a stuffed up nose, i use the F10 mask.
The Dreamwear is noisy, it is the only flaw.

Finaly, you just need to have the good size, and all these mask are good.
06-06-2016 06:15 PM
SylviaT Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Heated
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(06-04-2016 12:39 PM)sautee Wrote:  
(02-16-2016 10:21 PM)Mr Nifty Wrote:  Good Luck

Don't give up. You will find a mask sooner or later that you like.

Masks I have tried since January 13th 2016.

AirFit F10-FFM
AirFit N10-Nasal
Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM
Mirage Quattro-FFM
Swift FX Nano-Pillow
Mirage Activa LT-Nasal
Comfort Gel Blue - FFM

I'm currently using the Miarge Quattro FFM with a padacheek anti leak strap.
Question: How do you obtain different masks to "test drive"? I'm new here, but I have been told that I must return my Wisp in order to try a different mask. What if the Wisp turns out to be better? Would prefer to have several in hand to compare, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Great Question for all of us NEWBIES!
06-06-2016 08:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
florian1993 Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed s10
CPAP Pressure: 4-12

Other Comments:

Ask the person who takes care of you. And to know what size is more suitable, use the templates masks. They are trouvablent easily on the websites of manufacturers.
Good night
06-09-2016 05:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any suggestions for when your mask aggravates your face? FormerFed 11 565 11-06-2016 11:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI's not getting below 5 - Suggestions NorthernGuy 6 457 07-08-2016 01:02 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  First night on CPAP, did ok. Any suggestions? Kris the Crone 22 1,147 06-12-2016 03:46 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Question VitalSleep or other dental device, any suggestions kwhenrykerr 3 474 06-05-2016 11:01 PM
Last Post: johnthesleeper
Question Looking for suggestions, Heart problem with CPAP ? kwhenrykerr 6 638 05-25-2016 07:55 PM
Last Post: chill
  Seeking initial setup suggestions for AirSense S10 Autoset Caldera 2 584 03-21-2016 01:40 PM
Last Post: Caldera
  new guy, need suggestions bwayne 10 745 02-16-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: DariaVader