Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Mask Suggestions
RE: Best Mask Suggestions
Hi sautee. I just went through that same dilemma a couple of weeks ago when I tried my first nasal pillows mask. I tried the Nuance Gel and the AirFit P10 For Her at the DME office. Neither seemed just right. (Goldilocks syndrome)

I took the Nuance Gel home and wore it for 3 nights, had problems and swapped it for the P10. I asked when I did the swap if I could get the Nuance back if the P10 didn't work and was told that I couldn't.

That was annoying, since the respiratory therapist said that they were going to send the Nuance mask back to the manufacturer for a credit.

Fortunately, I have been very happy with the P10 and wouldn't have wanted to get the Nuance back anyway.

I am assuming that you're going through a DME and that your mask is being covered by insurance.

You can ask to make an appointment with a respiratory therapist at your DME if you want to try a second mask. Take the Wisp mask with you. Ask them to have a CPAP machine available so that you can pressurize the masks. Lie down if possible. That way you can compare the two masks.

It's not as good as sleeping all night to test one, but it's much better than just picking up the mask in a package and taking it home.

I got my first CPAP mask last winter. I was steered toward a nasal mask by the DME. I'm not sure why. I ended up with the Wisp mask, and I do like it. It's very quiet, and it's not uncomfortable.

I'm very glad I have the P10 For Her nasal pillows for summer, though, because there's lots less plastic and headgear touching my face. I can even put moisturizer on my face at night (except for the small area from below my nose to my chin).

Oh - I almost forgot. If you order a mask from an online CPAP supplier, they usually have a 30 return policy. I haven't done that before, but that could be another route to check out.

Be sure to ask what the replacement interval for the cushion part of a nasal mask is for your insurance. It's 30 days for some and 90 days for others. (That tip isn't related to your question. I just didn't want you to end up like me with a leaky nasal cushion after a couple of months and not know what the procedure was for getting it replaced.)

(06-04-2016, 12:39 PM)sautee Wrote: Question: How do you obtain different masks to "test drive"? I'm new here, but I have been told that I must return my Wisp in order to try a different mask. What if the Wisp turns out to be better? Would prefer to have several in hand to compare, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 01:46 PM)green wings Wrote: Hi sautee. I just went through that same dilemma a couple of weeks ago when I tried my first nasal pillows mask. I tried the Nuance Gel and the AirFit P10 For Her at the DME office. Neither seemed just right. (Goldilocks syndrome)

I took the Nuance Gel home and wore it for 3 nights, had problems and swapped it for the P10. I asked when I did the swap if I could get the Nuance back if the P10 didn't work and was told that I couldn't.

That was annoying, since the respiratory therapist said that they were going to send the Nuance mask back to the manufacturer for a credit.

Fortunately, I have been very happy with the P10 and wouldn't have wanted to get the Nuance back anyway.

I am assuming that you're going through a DME and that your mask is being covered by insurance.

You can ask to make an appointment with a respiratory therapist at your DME if you want to try a second mask. Take the Wisp mask with you. Ask them to have a CPAP machine available so that you can pressurize the masks. Lie down if possible. That way you can compare the two masks.

It's not as good as sleeping all night to test one, but it's much better than just picking up the mask in a package and taking it home.

I got my first CPAP mask last winter. I was steered toward a nasal mask by the DME. I'm not sure why. I ended up with the Wisp mask, and I do like it. It's very quiet, and it's not uncomfortable.

I'm very glad I have the P10 For Her nasal pillows for summer, though, because there's lots less plastic and headgear touching my face. I can even put moisturizer on my face at night (except for the small area from below my nose to my chin).

Oh - I almost forgot. If you order a mask from an online CPAP supplier, they usually have a 30 return policy. I haven't done that before, but that could be another route to check out.

Be sure to ask what the replacement interval for the cushion part of a nasal mask is for your insurance. It's 30 days for some and 90 days for others. (That tip isn't related to your question. I just didn't want you to end up like me with a leaky nasal cushion after a couple of months and not know what the procedure was for getting it replaced.)

(06-04-2016, 12:39 PM)sautee Wrote: Question: How do you obtain different masks to "test drive"? I'm new here, but I have been told that I must return my Wisp in order to try a different mask. What if the Wisp turns out to be better? Would prefer to have several in hand to compare, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Thank you, green wings, for your detailed response. I really appreciate your taking the time to provide such an informative answer!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I went from a FFM to a Nuance Pro and loved it. I used the Nuance for several weeks with great results. The only problem with the Nuance was the exhaust blowing on my wife and me. I started using the Airfit P10 and love it even more. It is light and most importantly, it doesn't blow air everywhere. I would suggest the P10 even if you have to use a chin strap to help control mouth leaks. After all, "Resistance is futile!".
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I tried many mask during one years. I had some troubles with leaks, due to unsuitable size.
This is my classment in order :

- Airfit P10
- Dreamwear Philips
- Airfit F10
- Airfit N10
- Wisp Philips

The P10 is very light, we don't feel it and i don't have leaks.
But when i have a stuffed up nose, i use the F10 mask.
The Dreamwear is noisy, it is the only flaw.

Finaly, you just need to have the good size, and all these mask are good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 12:39 PM)sautee Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 10:21 PM)Mr Nifty Wrote: Good Luck

Don't give up. You will find a mask sooner or later that you like.

Masks I have tried since January 13th 2016.

AirFit F10-FFM
AirFit N10-Nasal
Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM
Mirage Quattro-FFM
Swift FX Nano-Pillow
Mirage Activa LT-Nasal
Comfort Gel Blue - FFM

I'm currently using the Miarge Quattro FFM with a padacheek anti leak strap.
Question: How do you obtain different masks to "test drive"? I'm new here, but I have been told that I must return my Wisp in order to try a different mask. What if the Wisp turns out to be better? Would prefer to have several in hand to compare, but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Great Question for all of us NEWBIES!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask the person who takes care of you. And to know what size is more suitable, use the templates masks. They are trouvablent easily on the websites of manufacturers.
Good night
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 253 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 288 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.