Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Mask for Tossing and Turning
Best Mask for Tossing and Turning
Hello everyone. I have been a member of this forum for some time buty under another user name. I have been on a cpap since 2011 and presently use a ResMed S9 Elite with humidifier. I also use sleep head to track my progress. I have three masks that I can use, the swift FX, ResMed Air Fit and the Respironics Easy Life. My AHI readings have for the most part been above 5.0, sometimes as high as 14. My lowest readings have been 1.25 to 3.33. I think my readings are high because I turn from side to side and onto my back throughout the night. Is there a mask out there that would better serve me for this problem and help keep my AHI on the down low side?

Thanking you in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Mask for Tossing and Turning
(07-15-2015, 07:08 PM)bolocarver Wrote: Hello everyone. I have been a member of this forum for some time buty under another user name. I have been on a cpap since 2011 and presently use a ResMed S9 Elite with humidifier. I also use sleep head to track my progress. I have three masks that I can use, the swift FX, ResMed Air Fit and the Respironics Easy Life. My AHI readings have for the most part been above 5.0, sometimes as high as 14. My lowest readings have been 1.25 to 3.33. I think my readings are high because I turn from side to side and onto my back throughout the night. Is there a mask out there that would better serve me for this problem and help keep my AHI on the down low side?

Thanking you in advance.

I have only used 1 mask since starting therapy... but I am a move around sleeper and have never had a single problem with the air fit P10. I have been using it since May...I know thats not a long time but I love the fact that it's almost like wearing nothing.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
A P10 (which I was given at my titration) won't stay on my face when I roll over.

That's the problem - everyone is different and what works for you won't work for me.

The Respironics Wisp works well for me as I toss and turn.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a resmed P10. I am an active side sleeper and use a memory foam pillow and I dig my face in it while using the P10. Haven't had a single large leak since I started using the P10 about 120 days ago (same mask, same nasal pillow set).

Earlier, I started with a Full face mask, the resmed F10. Same thing there. A few large leaks but not many.

For your pressure of 11, I highly recommend that you use nasal pillow type mask. And the mask with most great reviews in this forum is the Resmed P10.

YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the P10 nasal mask. I mostly sleep on my side, but toss and turn a lot. The mask normally doesn't move, and leak rate is low.

Also like the Pilaro Q mask, but as parkerdt pointed out, everyone is different. It may or may not work for you. It's just something you have to try.

You AHI may rise if you sleep on your back regardless of mask.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 07:08 PM)bolocarver Wrote: Is there a mask out there that would better serve me for this problem and help keep my AHI on the down low side?

Thanking you in advance.
I've a mask for you .... Activa LT nasal mask, perfect for tossers and turners
Easy to fit and seal perfectly with no fuss and hassle free
Two cushions (Activa LT and SoftGel) fit on one durable frame

I've been using Activa LT over 4 years, with Ruby chinstrap worn over the mask
I owe my 100% compliance to Activa LT, don't ever need another mask

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who replied to this post. It looks like the Airfit P10 wins the race. I like this mask for several reasons, among them it is very light, it's easy to put on and take off, the air defuser makes it less bothersome for my wife.

I am going to continue to use this mask evry night until I can consistenly get my AHI below 5. The most critical point with this mask is the headband. It does not take much time for it to stretch to the point it does not keep the nose pillows where they should be. I have washed mine several times and either dried it in the clothes dryer or hung it on a cloths line. I can only get a new one every 6 months, which I think is too far apart for the usage it gets. Maybe someone out there has figured a way to make it better or come up with their own version. If so, please let me know.

I will keep all posted as to how my AHI levels go.

Have a great day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 03:11 PM)bolocarver Wrote: Thanks to all who replied to this post. It looks like the Airfit P10 wins the race. I like this mask for several reasons, among them it is very light, it's easy to put on and take off, the air defuser makes it less bothersome for my wife.

I am going to continue to use this mask evry night until I can consistenly get my AHI below 5. The most critical point with this mask is the headband. It does not take much time for it to stretch to the point it does not keep the nose pillows where they should be. I have washed mine several times and either dried it in the clothes dryer or hung it on a cloths line. I can only get a new one every 6 months, which I think is too far apart for the usage it gets. Maybe someone out there has figured a way to make it better or come up with their own version. If so, please let me know.

I will keep all posted as to how my AHI levels go.

Have a great day.
You can pinch the strap 1/4 inch and staple it on each side equally
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bolocarver,
WELCOME BACK! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with finding a mask that works well and much success to you as you continue with your CPAP therapy..
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep livsmonster 4 785 04-26-2023, 12:47 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,484 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  AirSense 11 Turning Off Humidifier? CChamp 3 5,623 06-09-2022, 11:30 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Looks like I am turning my machine on and off all night piratekitty 16 1,594 12-02-2021, 02:59 PM
Last Post: piratekitty

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.