Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Help guys!
Idea 
Help guys!
After getting zero help from doctors I am attempting to self diagnose and fix my sleep breathing problem. My AHI is basically zero, and my oxygen levels only move by a few %. However, I do suffer from a deviated septum which renders night time nasal breathing impossible.

What I see plenty of on my CPAP data is what I have shown below (also in an attachment). 
What do you guys think?

Any help or advice is sincerely appreciated! I am desperate to fix my issue, I'm not joking when I say it is killing me!
Thanks guys!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help guys!
Hi alexfryatt1993! - Welcome
Unfortunately, the image is so small it is unreadable. Attempts to enlarge it, make it a blur. Please take a higher resolution screenshot and repost it here.

Thanks!

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best I can tell is the image shows some severe flow limitation leading to arousal and more or less normal breathing. The flow limitation shows good flow increase into inspiration with a sharp pean and sudden reduction in flow as something causes obstruction through the end of the breath. In spite of the blur, I also see a secondary peak in some breaths as the obstruction is relieved and flow rate increases. This is a Class 2 flow limitation and is certainly disruptive https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4688581/

[Image: gr5.jpg]

You have self-identified the problem as a deviated septum. The resulting respiratory disturbance index (RDI) can be mitigated by use of positive pressure applied nasally, especially with nasal pillows to inflate the nasal tissues and mitigate nasal flow limitation. Another possibility aside from surgery is a nasal stent (Alaxo Nasal Stent) which mechanically opens and stents the nasal passages using a collapsible mesh. The nasal stents are sold for $395 on their website so I can't link to it here. Anyway, this is all food for thought. You could ask your physician for a referral to an ENT, sleep evaluation for RDI or prescription assistance with the Alaxo nasal stent. There are several good options to address this, and I think our role has to be to assist you in obtaining medical approval to acquire relief.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this any better?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! Glad I came here for help! Do you think a higher pressure setting on my CPAP machine would aid the high flow limitation?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Great! It would appear that it is a positional disruption, like turning to your side.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
What machine and what are your settings? Your profile does not show any useful information. How about an Oscar chart for the full night?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I'm new to all this. My machine is a Resmed airsense 10 Autoset. All settings are factory. 

Just downloaded Oscar, I previously used SleepHQ
Post Reply Post Reply
Alex, the feature on your Autoset that is going to make a big difference is to use the EPR feature that effectively gives you bilevel pressure with higher inhale and lower exhale (IPAP/EPAP) pressure. My recommendation for you is to set your machine to Autoset Mode with minimum pressure 8.0 and maximum pressure 12.0, EPR on full-time. Post a chart once you collect some data so we can where to go with this.

What is your mask? Sorry you had to deal with SleepHQ. Basically someone using a derivation of Oscar and charging for what we do for free.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks mate, I will do! How do I get a chart from Oscar? I've been on CPAP for 2 weeks now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure your machine has a SD card (4 to 32 GB) behind the door on the left side. Data is recorded automatically during use when that SD card is in place. You will need to have a SD card reader to use that with Oscar. We have tutorials on how to organize Oscar Charts and how to attach charts to a post on the forum. That is all linked in my signature below.

Even without data, I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback once you try the settings I outlined above. I think you're going to notice a pleasant difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guys can someone please explain all the different settings on a BiPap (Philips) Zoltyzolt 2 715 03-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 979 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123
  Accolades to the guys here! Danno54 3 746 09-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Surprised Night 8, it's already Love - Hate. So glad I found you guys! FE350 148 13,301 01-08-2020, 09:33 AM
  Hey Guys, Help Tweaking machine Justbreath 25 3,194 06-05-2019, 06:21 PM
  Do you guys unplug your CPAP after it cools down? vroomvroom 13 4,358 04-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Just got my prescription, can you guys look it over and let me know what's up? vroomvroom 12 2,254 02-27-2019, 04:50 AM
Last Post: vroomvroom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.