Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] airsense 11 filters..again
airsense 11 filters..again
There are older threads on this subject, but I did not see my particular question answered: 
Resmed itself has two filters for the Airsense 11, a standard and a hypoallergenic. Closer examination shows that the stated feature of the hypoallergenic filter is not that it filters particles which are any smaller

Quote:

• Designed to Prevent Allergy Flare-Ups for Those With Polyester Allergies
    The Hypoallergenic Filter for the AirSense 11 is made with blended synthetic fibers in a polypropylene carrier. 

QUESTION 1: So do these provide any better filtration for the increased cost, or merely about the same level but without polyester?

Personally, I have no issue with polyester. But I do want to keep the innards of my machine, and my sinuses, as clean as possible (or at least be able to believe that I am doing so.)

Question 2: By now there are a plethora of filters for this machine on Amazon and other sources at a variety of price points. Some are merely thicker. Does anyone have a lead on decent ones which provide ultra fine filtration (finer than the standard ones at least.) I could cut down airsense 10 filters, but it would be nice to have ones that are just the right size.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: airsense 11 filters..again
I doubt there's much difference in the filtration of either one. They are both pretty crappy. About like using a cheap furnace filter in your home. They don't filter out small particles. They are designed to protect the machine, not the user.

I wouldn't buy off-brand filters designed to filter out smaller particles. They might put too much strain on the blower motor and burn it out.

Your best bet for keeping your CPAP machine and your sinuses clean are to keep your bedroom clean. Especially around the CPAP machine itself. You can also flush out your sinuses with saline using the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit, available at any drug store.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, solveforz  The replacement filters my DME sends me are ResMed AirSense 11 Style Filters CF21111-1 from Sunset Healthcare Solutions.  They are thicker and appear more dense than the original ResMed filters.  

I can't decide if that's good or bad:  are they good for me because they remove finer particles, or hard on the machine, as Sleepster suggests?  I don't see them offered by the standard online CPAP suppliers.  

Amazon, of course, sells various off-brand filters.  Considering the array of counterfeit KN-95 masks that were sold on Amazon, I am wary.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have stated over time, the filters protect the machine itself, not the individual using the machine. 

If you are serious about filtering the air in the room, buy a dedicated whole room air filtering machine. There are many on the market that do a very good job.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies!
I did use an airsense 10 for about 8 years (waiting waiting waiting for the 11) and did not burn out the blower using fine filters. And they did get much dirtier than the standard ones, especially on trips to New York city, so it feels as if they were better. Though maybe not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2022, 11:54 AM)Big Guy Wrote: As others have stated over time, the filters protect the machine itself, not the individual using the machine. 

If you are serious about filtering the air in the room, buy a dedicated whole room air filtering machine. There are many on the market that do a very good job.

I agree. And an air filtering machine acts as a white noise source, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I am new to cpap but I would just use the regular filters that resmed sells for the machine. yes it helps protect the machine but does it matter if it protects you. If you weren't using the machine you would be breathing in the air in your room anyways so I figure it doesn't matter how good the filter is. I know we all want to breath in fresh air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2022, 10:34 AM)bedtimebob Wrote: If you weren't using the machine you would be breathing in the air in your room anyways so I figure it doesn't matter how good the filter is.

Unless you're interested in filtering that air. Then you would typically get a machine to filter the air in your bedroom, which also adds some white noise to drown out the sound from the CPAP machine. But if you had a better filter on your CPAP machine you would have your own personal supply of cleaner air. But I wouldn't trust any CPAP filter that isn't designed by the manufacturer because too much filtration would put an extra load on the blower motor and may cause it to burn out prematurely.

I like the fact that with a CPAP machine I'm breathing in a lot fewer dust mites. Without a CPAP machine you're breathing in air that's nearer your bedding, and the bedding is the source of the mites.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 85 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 836 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 395 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,467 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 828 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.