Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR
Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR
My sleep study showed some low saturation levels and I am considering adding an oximeter device. I currently us an Airsense Autoset 10 apap, if that makes a difference

What is the best unit that works well with OSCAR?

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR
If you are using Windows then either the Contec CMS50F, or one of the Wellue's, SleepU, O2 Ring, or Checkme O2 Max will work,

If you use Mac, the Wellue is the only one with software for Mac. You could always use a VM with Windows 10 and run both brands, but it may be overkill just to run one program. Your choice.

For both units you use the supplied software to get the data off the oximeter, then import it into OSCAR.

The Contec only stores one night of data at a time, so you need to download it every day. Tha battery lasts about 3-4 days. You use the supplied cable to get the data onto your computer.
The Wellue SleepU stores 4 days of data but the battery only lasts 2 days. The Check Me is supposed to last 6-7 days. These use Bluetooth to transfer the data to your phone or computer.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for that comprehensive answer, I will look at buying one of the Wellue/Viatomtech devices, as I have started using Oscar as part of improving my AHI score.
Post Reply Post Reply
While looking for oximeters with logging capability, I stumbled on the Beurer PO 80, which you connect to a computer with a usb cable. Have you heard of it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not heard of that brand. Remember, if you want to integrate your oximetry results with OSCAR, stick with the brands and models listed.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did a comparison of the Viatom/Wellue products and the CMS50F - the link is in the description, and I've added some stuff in the comments too,

The CheckMe O2 (the basic model) which is the same as the Visual Oxy - that battery lasts for 16 hours easily, and did so even though I used it for nearly 3 years every day for 14-16 hours a day. The CheckMe O2 Max lasts for 72 hours, so a week for most people, and it also allows recording to roll into a second session if you give over 10 hours, which the CheckMe O2 doesn't, you have to manually restart it. I've not personally used the O2Ring or the SleepU products, but I know others have.

Personally, I go Viatom even though I've tried both. The ring sensor is way comfier and less likely to fall off your finger than the duckbill sensor of the Contec products. But the biggest issue I have with Contecs is their tendency for the LED screen to fade to almost unreadably dim after maybe 6 months. On the other hand, as I said, I used the Viatom products for the best part of three years (probably closer to 5 or 6 years of "normal" use based on 8 hours overnight).

The Contec CMS50F is, however, probably the cheapest option available.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I'm (one of the many) Viatom ring users. In general, I'm pretty satisfied with it, and integrating with OSCAR is straightforward, when you know the incantation.

My slight concern -- which I've already raised here -- is that it seems to read a little high, compared to similar devices. I believe other people reported the same thing. In most cases it probably doesn't matter but, if you're looking at SpO2 levels that are already hovering around 90%, that small error could be significant. This isn't a very accurate technology, in general, though; I don't know if another unit would do any better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the standard for any pulse oximeters is about 2% on either side, so if it reports 95%, then you can be reasonably sure your oxygen is between 93 and 97%. That's normal, and they all make an estimate based on how much light is reflected from/through your finger and that can be altered by a whole bunch of things, including how good your peripheral blood flow is, the size of your fingers, if you're dehydrated, if you're anaemic or a smoker, anxiety, the colour of your skin, other drugs that you may be on, certain health conditions etc... the only accurate way to be absolutely sure is to have an ABG performed (which is painful and only a spot check at the moment the blood is drawn).

Personally, I didn't see an overall difference when I ran a night with a viatom on one hand and contec on the other, but YMMV. I would imagine the O2Ring might also be more prone to movement interference than the wrist-worn Viatoms with the lighter ring sensor.

Of course, if mine is running high, that's pretty terrifying for me! LOL It would mean even on supplemental oxygen, my average sats are about 89 while asleep. That said, the hospital unit that I am currently under (which is specifically for non-invasive ventilation using BiPAP and ASV, primarily those with more severe COPD, emphysema, post-infection lung damage etc.) use Viatom CheckMe O2s on their wards and to lend out to patients for reviews overnight. So use that info as you see fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I'm increasingly inclined to think that we can't really rely much on the absolute value that these units record. Depending where you are on the oxygen dissociation curve, that +/- 2% could mean a difference of 10%, perhaps even 20% in blood oxygen concentration.

I would expect that changes in SpO2 would be more accurately reported than absolute values. At least, I hope that's the case.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep exactly. Generally speaking, your sats SHOULD remain pretty steady, all things being equal. The odd drop down isn't usually a big deal (I can spike my oxygen levels really low holding my breath), it's when you see a big change downwards, that's when it's a problem. And personally, if your sats are hovering in the low nineties all night, you're probably still going to feel that, if that's not normal for you. It's about knowing what is your "normal" and noticing when things change. But when you're getting to long stretches around or below 90%, that's definitely a time to be seeing the doctors.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,486 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,207 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 137 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 184 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 251 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 763 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 1,010 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.