Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR
RE: Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR
I guess it's a good idea to get a range of readings at various times of the day, with various states... sitting still resting, standing still, moving around etc. Then you should be able to define a normal baseline for lying and sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely... If you're in a healthy place, hopefully you won't see a huge difference between the two, but then, if you're like me, you end up looking like this. I'm pretty sure anyone could pick out where I fell asleep.  Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
Ratchick, I am sorry you have such desaturations. To think it was worse before treatment is scary.

I just got the Wellvue SleepU. It seems to run high also. It also seems to have wildly different reading with movement. Last night I had to go to the bathroom just after putting it on and the reading was 91. Other times I take of my cpap and it jumps to 99, which is rare for me. My usual during the day is 96% when I use a ZacUrate fingertip monitor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't, no. As far as I know, unless it's a rebranded version of the ones we cover, it won't work with OSCAR properly but that doesn't stop you from getting it to try, of course.

I must be the odd one out because I literally recorded one night with both a contec and a viatom on (one on each hand) and there were no significant differences for me. I would suggest that in that case, measure with the Viatom during the day (as in record it for five or ten minutes while sitting quietly or even lying down awake, to get a representative look rather than a one-off measurement, especially if it's on a different pulse oximeter). That way, you will have a baseline of what is normal for that device for you.

It's entirely normal for movement to cause inaccurate readings - that's why all of the pulse oximeters generally say they're not good for use during exercise or while moving around a lot.

I don't think I explained it in this thread, but the Viatom works by taking a reading every second, averaging it over the previous four seconds, and then recording that number. So the value you are seeing isn't the exact figure for that moment in the charts, but what the average SpO2 was over the previous 4 seconds. This might be why it appears different, as it varies between makers how they measure it, how they display it, etc. I find that there is consistently a lag before the measurements drop during a desat compared to some other ones, just because of that, but the overall results were close enough. And there's always a lag anyway, with all pulse oximeters, because it takes 15-30 seconds for your breathing to affect the value the pulse oximeter reads.

But if people are interested, I can find the side by side figures again for the Contec vs the Viatom test I did?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Ratchick. I will just ignore the readings with movement. The difference between the fingertip reading and Wellvu is usually around 1% (without movement) but the heart rate is often a match exactly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,211 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,036 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.