Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rising leak rate during REM sleep
Rising leak rate during REM sleep
I've noticed a repeating pattern where my leap rate jumps to an unacceptable levels during REM sleep (mostly only during REM sleep).  I'm using a nasal pillow, with my mouth firmly pressed together by 3M cover roll tape at night, and I wake up with my lips still firmly pressed together (this isn't a mouth leak issue).   Any thoughts as to why REM sleep regularly comes with a rapid rise in leak rate?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rising leak rate during REM sleep
Can you post your whole daily screenshot so the experts can see the rest of the data?

Your zoom shows 30mins... that would be a long REM cycle. 

What's leading you to think it's related to REM?

I'm not an expert, so I try to not give suggestions, but leak can be nose or mouth.
Are you maybe moving in bed and dislodging your mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  Here's a full view of last night for me, as well a zoomed in view of what I see as REM sleep (varying wave pattern).

-Airsense 10
-Airfit P10 mask
-BSM Medical Roll Tape (pressing lips firmly together all night)

Post Reply Post Reply
While REM sleep can last that long, late in your night, it's my understanding that interpreting REM is not accurately possible with OSCAR reporting because the cpap can't capture it. The cpap can't even distinguish awake vs sleep.

It looks like there is some connection to increased pressure and leak rate... chicken or egg?

Sorry I can't make setting suggestions, not an expert.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phil7,

What are you using to track your sleep? FitBit, Apple Watch, Garmin watch???
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm only using the machine data and loading it into Oscar.  I do have a Pulse Oxygen monitor that I've occasionally used and uploaded in the the Oscar data (Oxygen levels look fairly good during the night). I mean you upload the CPAP machine data into Oscar, then upload the Pulse Oxygen data into Oscar to combine the data sets. You just have to get the CPAP machine and Pulse Oxygen monitor time stamps within 1 minute of each other to match up well for comparing events to oxygen levels.

Oscar:
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

It was an O2Ring that I bought. Here's a video explaining how to combine the data sets in Oscar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaqt3GJY83k
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's an example from late last year of the Pulse Oxygen data combined in Oscar with CPAP data.  Not great, but nothing I'm worried about (I use to be a smoker, long ago).

Edit: It is super interesting to see how events during the night directly effect your Oxygen level and especially pulse rate. When I first saw the data matched up, I starting thinking about all the extra strain that's been put on my heart over the years as a result.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 60 35 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.