Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Product for Avoiding a Blocked Nose
Best Product for Avoiding a Blocked Nose
I think that CPAP is causing my nose to block up. A few times I have woken up because I have had limited airflow through my nostrils. This is not a problem I usually suffer from

Should I take an antihistamine each night?

Are there specific nasal sprays I should try?

Is there anything that I can add to my humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Product for Avoiding a Blocked Nose
What humidifier settings are your using? About how much water is used from the humidifier chamber in a night?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If increasing the humidity doesn't work, there a some nasal sprays that have recently been released from prescription only status to over the counter. I use one called Nasacort. These are all corticosteroids and safe to use daily at the prescribed doses. Nasacort directions say it may take up to a week to get the full effect but it worked from day one for me.

As for some of the other OTC sprays that have been around for years, like Afrin for example, stay away from those. They aren't safe to use for long term relief and may do more harm than good.

Stick with the corticosteroids. My ENT and my pulmonologist both say they are OK for as long as I want to use them so long as I follow the recommended dosage.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I suffer from one side of my nose blocking up so I have started to use nasal strips, like some athletes use. There are a few different brands around here in Australia, so I am sure you can find one. They help keep your nasal passages open during the night, and work very well. Better than sprays, which I have also used.

James
Post Reply Post Reply
Amara View FFM, just switch from my Wisp Nasal Mask on the occasions when I have your problem, or if it's a more regular blockage for you maybe the FFM every night?
Post Reply Post Reply
My regular Doctor put me on Fluticasone. Which is basically flonase. Along with Alavert. I am also using wilson's solution before bed. I've had sinus and allergy issues for years. Just ignored them before I got a vpap machine.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2016, 10:14 PM)holden4th Wrote: I think that CPAP is causing my nose to block up. A few times I have woken up because I have had limited airflow through my nostrils. This is not a problem I usually suffer from

Should I take an antihistamine each night?

Are there specific nasal sprays I should try?

Is there anything that I can add to my humidifier?

Post Reply Post Reply
I used saline to spray into my nose and sneeze out.
You have to use a dispenser, a container with long nose and have a tube inside the container connected to the nose on one end and the other end to reach bottom of container,
Mixed about 1 part salt to 20 parts water as a mixture .
When sprayed into your nose , help by slightly sneeze into before sneeze out.
You should see the difference in your nose being block free after few attempts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use NeilMed's sinus rinse every morning, per my ENT's recommendation. While it's primarily used to keep the polyps at bay, it also prevents the nasal passages from becoming blocked. I also use prescription Nasonex every night before going to bed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
For those who use the adhesive nasal strips and have thought the good ones cost more than they should, here's a tip that you may appreciate. Cut them in half, lengthwise, and they work just as well. Instant half price savings.

Another good tip to make them more comfortable and less painful to remove, place a small patch of tissue in the center of them so they won't stick to the top top of your nose. They only need to stick to the sides to work. To remove easily, douse them with warm water from your cupped hands while doing the morning face splash. They come off much easier that way.

Dude
ps. The cheap ones don't work as well, they tend to come loose during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 149 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,969 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.