Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Tension Techniques for a Cervical Collar
Best Tension Techniques for a Cervical Collar
I've found that a cervical collar seems to be more effective for me over in lieu of the chinstrap to reduce or eliminate mouth leaks.    The only problem that I've encountered with its use is setting the proper tension.     If I tighten it as you would actually use the collar, makes it little too tight for sleep and my OA's increase.  .  . but still no mouth leaks!   I've found (so far) that tightening it so that it easily slides around my neck has produced the best compromise.    

I would be interested how other collar users tension theirs, results, and any other helpful tips.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best Tension Techniques for a Cervical Collar
Hi Crimson, agreed, tried doing a loose fitting collar and it seems to be less effective. Tighten it up slightly but still able to slide a little seems best. Evidently from much improved AHI of 0.73 recently.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2017, 10:37 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: a cervical collar seems to be more effective for me over the chinstrap

By "over" you mean "instead of", not "on top of", right?

I tighten mine to he point of slight discomfort and then loosen it a bit.  I am not sure if it would easily turn.  I never tried it.  I want it tight enough that my chin can't drop inside of it but no so tight that it interferes with breathing or blood flow.  I will try it a little looser tonight and see what the result is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I mean as a replacement , in lieu of. . . I will edit the OP to reflect this. Everything seems so logical when you're typing it.

Thanks!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a soft cervical collar to help with positional events. The collar does very little for my mouth breathing, so I'm stuck with the chin strap as well. My AHI went up slightly and my leaks went down slightly when I started using the collar, but my sleep quality went up quite a bit.

I agree that just loose enough to be able to slip it around works best.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed two additional things about the cervical collar;  1. Using the same tension, it will feel tighter when you lay down, as opposed to sitting up.  2. My OA's occur when I'm side sleeping and the collar is pressing against my throat and the pillow.  I am awakened by the inability to exhale when this happens. Also, my Flow limitations increase.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 228 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 553 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 428 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 362 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 364 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 537 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 374 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.